Arturs Kulda

BizZombie

Jul 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
While I don't consider Arturs Kulda to technically be a prospect, or to belong on any prospect lists any longer due to his age, he would be an upgrade over Mark Stuart. I recall recommending trading Mark Stuart at the time, and re-signing Ron Hainsey as his replacement. Due to that Hains-less option being available, Arturs Kulda would at least have some upside potential over the downside only close to corpse level Mark Stuart.

While Mark Stuart may be a fan favourite, a heart and soul guy, and by all accounts a great presence in the dressing room, it's time to move on from his rapidly declining skill set. He looks to be having his already limited skills going into complete cliff dive. Kulda would have been a superior option, even with the probable rookie errors of commission, versus the errors of omission made by the unable to do it any longer Stuart.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Shutdown Malkin, Ovechkin, Backstrom while playing 35 mins + a night = NOT NHL QUALITY :shakehead

This is such an incredibly overrated reference in my opinion. I mean, Kulda spent a good number of years in the AHL, we're talking 300+ games. If Kulda was such the great shutdown defenceman you make him out to be above, it would make sense to me that he would have been an ABSOLUTE STUD in the AHL. And, given the AHL is scouted and paid attention to by many involved in the NHL ranks, to me it would only make sense that some scout, GM, asst. GM, head coach, asst. coach, etc... would have picked out and caught on to such a fantastic defenceman.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
This is such an incredibly overrated reference in my opinion. I mean, Kulda spent a good number of years in the AHL, we're talking 300+ games. If Kulda was such the great shutdown defenceman you make him out to be above, it would make sense to me that he would have been an ABSOLUTE STUD in the AHL. And, given the AHL is scouted and paid attention to by many involved in the NHL ranks, to me it would only make sense that some scout, GM, asst. GM, head coach, asst. coach, etc... would have picked out and caught on to such a fantastic defenceman.

So did Matt Moulson. He is Jets property, not available to public. Mistakes are sometimes made. This is one, IMO. He's probably making 2 mil + in K though, so good for him.

Shadowdancer

Professional Lurker
Aug 7, 2011
Saskatoon
Funny, I was thinking of Kulda the other day. Really would love to see him in a Jets uni, and Stuart traded away. Not that I dislike Stuart, but Kulda could be the better option IMO

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I've always liked, but didn't love Kulda.
I remember in year 1, he jumped out to me in the pre-season.

I think there have been a lot of people dismissing him unfairly, and yes I include myself. I also think a couple posters have an overly rosy view of him.

What I think IS clear however, is that the Winnipeg Jets would be a better team if he was in North America right now.
I don't think I'm off base saying that I would rather have Kulda in our bottom 6 right now than Stuart.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
So did Matt Moulson. He is Jets property, not available to public. Mistakes are sometimes made. This is one, IMO. He's probably making 2 mil + in K though, so good for him.

Matt Moulson is the exception, not the rule, and I think many hockey fans know that. Very, very unlikely many follow in his footsteps. I am all for taking flyers on guys, etc.. giving them chances and what not, but it's very far and few between that you find a stud. Perhaps you're right and Kulda is that guy, but I highly doubt it and using your example of how he "shut down NHL stars in the KHL" is just full of flaws, in my opinion.

Sure he is Jets property, but that doesn't stop anybody associated with other teams to scout him and view him. They must have all missed his elite defensive awareness in shutting down the AHL in 300+ games given how he handled NHL stars in the KHL.

At the end of the day do I think Kulda could play on our bottom pair? of course, and he'd likely be a safer, smarter option over Stuart or Postma in my opinion. But, do I think he's some stud who can shut down elite stars like Malkin, Ovechkin, Backstrom in the NHL, where it matters? hell no, not going to happen.

KHL brand of hockey, systems, style, etc.. compared to NHL? night and day. Stapleton scores like an all-star over there and Anton Babchuk is a stud as well. There's your sign.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
At the end of the day do I think Kulda could play on our bottom pair? of course, and he'd likely be a safer, smarter option over Stuart or Postma in my opinion. But, do I think he's some stud who can shut down elite stars like Malkin, Ovechkin, Backstrom in the NHL, where it matters? hell no, not going to happen.

I don't think he'd step in and be a first pairing stud. I think that just shows his talent level that he could step in as a bottom pairing. I think it is ridiculous he never got a chance in Winnipeg.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think he'd step in and be a first pairing stud. I think that just shows his talent level that he could step in as a bottom pairing. I think it is ridiculous he never got a chance in Winnipeg.

I agree.
It's a shame he didnt get any game action last year while he was with the team. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 but right now I think he'd improve our bottom 6.

I would much rather have
Toby Buff
Clitsome Bogo
Kulda Trouba

Than what we're currently icing. He may not be a massive improvement from Stuart right now (I think he would be) but long term I think we've missed an opportunity (though not massive one).

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I would have liked the Jets to have somehow fit the Latvian Lion in the lineup and given him a shot.

Stuart's game is going downhill very fast. The league seems to have passed Stuart by and he is off to a terrible start this year.

Vapour Trails

Oct 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Considering there are 100 tickets available on the seat exchange for tomorrow night's game, the idea that thousands of people want to buy an entire season is hard to imagine. I tend to think in a few years time the wait list will just be a distant memory and there will be a buyers market.

jetkarma*

No one commentating on Kulda being named his team's best player by his coach?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Ken weibe is reporting kulda does not have an out clause so his KHL contract will take him to Ufa. He likely won't suit up as a jet ever again.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
2 things about the Kulda/Telegin/Burmi situation I find mind-boggling..

1. How little it appears the Jets seem to care, almost dismissing them as roster possibilities. With the Jets depth as bad as it is, it is stunning to me the are not addressing this in a better way..

2. How people on these boards casually and arrogantly toss them under the bus...

These are the types of situations that contribute literally to a longer wait to the playoffs...either that or just plain anti-Russian bias [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Well it's 3 totally different cases, IMO.

I have no idea what problem they have with Kulda. If I was Chevy, I promise you I would have easily played Kulda over Ellerby already over the whole last season.

We don't know HOW bad it was between Noel and Burmistrov. If it was really THAT bad, I may have done the same: Get Burmistrov back home for at least one year and see what happens. I would have kept the connection with him running, though.

We really don't know much or maybe even nothing about what the situation with Telegin exactly looked like. I don't think they did something wrong with him as his first AHL year didn't make you think, he needed to be on the Jets roster or anything. I think Telegin just wasn't patient enough?

Last edited:

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
In regards to Burmi, I think he was just the first to run foul with Noel. It seemed everyone had issues with Noel so I think history has vindicated Burmi. As a young guy who was rushed and yes he had some maturity issues, (his number is stupid) it is not a surprise he was the first to get into conflict with the coach. But he was very far from the only one. If Ladd is screaming at Noel in practice Burmi sure as hell is not the problem.

Kulda sounded bitter at the Olympics he never got the chance to play. He got screwed and I can't blame him in the slightest for being pissed.

Telegin is bizarre no doubt...no theories there...

The Jets had a real chance to open some good relations with eastern europeans and cement some positive energy with players from that area of the world. That has maybe been almost ruined entirely. Only Maurice seems capable of salvaging this.

If I were the owner, I would be really pissed about this situation. Of course, I would have wanted a coach with more NHL experience in the first place... that could have made a difference.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
2 things about the Kulda/Telegin/Burmi situation I find mind-boggling..

1. How little it appears the Jets seem to care, almost dismissing them as roster possibilities. With the Jets depth as bad as it is, it is stunning to me the are not addressing this in a better way..

2. How people on these boards casually and arrogantly toss them under the bus...

These are the types of situations that contribute literally to a longer wait to the playoffs...either that or just plain anti-Russian bias [mod]

1) I am surprised that so many of you are putting so much stock into one's play at the WHC. I mean guys like Pajjarvi lit that tournament on fire and can barely hack it at the NHL level. It really isn't a great barometer on how well a player will play in the NHL. More over a prior KHL defenseman of the year in Belov came over last year and wasn't much more than a fringe defenseman. Granted he played on Edmonton but still. Do we really expect that much more than a number 6 in Kulda? I would have liked to have given Kulda an opportunity a couple of years back but its understandable that Noel played the guys he new in a playoff run down the stretch.

2) There were a number of rumors of deals that the Jets had lined up that fell through at the deadline for Burmie because Burmie seemed committed to going back home or demanding more cash than what any team including the Jets was willing to pay him. If this is the case I'm not sure why the Jets should be taking heat for it. They aren't the only team to loss a Russian player to a bigger pay day in the KHL.

3) What were the Jets supposed to do with him? He had an injury shortened first pro year in which he played ok. He then elected to return home instead of building on his first year in the AHL.

It seems to me that its more a case of some young players wanting too much too quickly than it is the Jets not wanting the young players around. In the case of Kulda I think it was likely more of timing issue. He came when we still had Hainsy and Clitsome was looking pretty darn good next to Buff. Had he came back last year he likely would have gotten his shot.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
1) I am surprised that so many of you are putting so much stock into one's play at the WHC. I mean guys like Pajjarvi lit that tournament on fire and can barely hack it at the NHL level. It really isn't a great barometer on how well a player will play in the NHL. More over a prior KHL defenseman of the year in Belov came over last year and wasn't much more than a fringe defenseman. Granted he played on Edmonton but still. Do we really expect that much more than a number 6 in Kulda? I would have liked to have given Kulda an opportunity a couple of years back but its understandable that Noel played the guys he new in a playoff run down the stretch.

2) There were a number of rumors of deals that the Jets had lined up that fell through at the deadline for Burmie because Burmie seemed committed to going back home or demanding more cash than what any team including the Jets was willing to pay him. If this is the case I'm not sure why the Jets should be taking heat for it. They aren't the only team to loss a Russian player to a bigger pay day in the KHL.

3) What were the Jets supposed to do with him? He had an injury shortened first pro year in which he played ok. He then elected to return home instead of building on his first year in the AHL.

It seems to me that its more a case of some young players wanting too much too quickly than it is the Jets not wanting the young players around. In the case of Kulda I think it was likely more of timing issue. He came when we still had Hainsy and Clitsome was looking pretty darn good next to Buff. Had he came back last year he likely would have gotten his shot.

1) Kulda's been a top pairing D in the K for a couple of seasons now and had a pretty good Olympics as well as a good WHC. The Jets have terrible LD depth and this guy looks half-decent and they just let him walk...?

2) At least the Jets seem to still care about Burmi - with the whole "continuing his development in the K" line. Russian players have options - they don't have to eat triple-decker Claude Noel **** sandwiches when there are millions of rubles on the table back in Mother Russia...I certainly don't hold Burmi's decision against him. As Maurice mentioned, the NHL culture is very different than the hockey culture in Russia...both sides have to meet somewhere in the middle.

3) Telegin doesn't want to play in St. John's - homesick for Russia maybe? Too bad it didn't work out...it may just be an unfortunate one-off situation, but when you look at the 3 together, it seems like there might be some fire behind this Eastern European smoke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad