Value of: Arthur Kaliyev

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
So what's his value or need from LA?
Or are you in the camp of keeping him admist the rumblings he wants out?
I'd rather lose him for nothing on waivers vs taking a shitty offer.

LA needs a goalie. That's about the only thing I'd look to trade him for. 1 for 1 for a prospect or in a package for a Saros/Gibson/etc

Reactions: deaderhead28

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
So what's his value or need from LA?
Or are you in the camp of keeping him admist the rumblings he wants out?
Kings drafted Kaliev and developed him for 5 years
I do not think LA wants to trade him for picks at this time.
I believe they will be looking to trade him to fill position of need.
They will be looking for players on similar development trajectory and age, who does not have place on roster of another team.
Basically, equally talented goalie or good physical player is needed.

Reactions: deaderhead28

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Kings drafted Kaliev and developed him for 5 years
I do not think LA wants to trade him for picks at this time.
I believe they will be looking to trade him to fill position of need.
They will be looking for players on similar development trajectory and age, who does not have place on roster of another team.
Basically, equally talented goalie or good physical player is needed.
Bummer but understandable. Blues have a couple decent goalie prospects who could be available in Vadim Zherenko and Colten Ellis, but neither are probably very exciting to non-Blues fans.

Hope Kaliyev gets more opportunity...think he can be a useful player in the right circumstances.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
If i think like Blake, with the influence of Bergevin, i would trade Kaliyev for Cayden Primeau

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Last month, I said that LA wouldn't trade Kaliyev, that they'd just continue to mismanage him for a year or two and then lose him on waivers. I was being partly tongue in cheek because they had recently lost Fagemo and Bjornfot on waivers, but I'm starting to change my mind. Since then, Kaliyev hasn't played a single game--that's 3 straight weeks now of being a healthy scratch. The new coach didn't change anything and not even today's back-to-back game has (Edit: Never mind. The projected lineup was wrong and he did finally dress). It seems that management has given up on developing him and is just keeping him around in order to trade him by the deadline. Blake is probably dangling him as part of a package for a goaltender. If that fails, he may just get whatever he can for him, even if it's a late round pick. Either way, it seems that Arthur's days in LA are numbered, and that's disappointing, but he deserves better.

Last edited:

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
You would try anyways. Takes 2 to tangle.

that's correct as i wouldn't be interested at all, but we do have boneheads in our administration

(btw i'm still waiting for you to post a comment i allegedly made about wanting Dubois in LA)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd rather lose him for nothing on waivers vs taking a shitty offer.

LA needs a goalie. That's about the only thing I'd look to trade him for. 1 for 1 for a prospect or in a package for a Saros/Gibson/etc
Hildeby?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Last month, I said that LA wouldn't trade Kaliyev, that they'd just continue to mismanage him for a year or two and then lose him on waivers. I was being partly tongue in cheek because they had recently lost Fagemo and Bjornfot on waivers, but I'm starting to change my mind. Since then, Kaliyev hasn't played a single game--that's 3 straight weeks now of being a healthy scratch. The new coach didn't change anything and not even today's back-to-back game has (Edit: Never mind. The projected lineup was wrong and he did finally dress). It seems that management has given up on developing him and is just keeping him around in order to trade him by the deadline. Blake is probably dangling him as part of a package for a goaltender. If that fails, he may just get whatever he can for him, even if it's a late round pick. Either way, it seems that Arthur's days in LA are numbered, and that's disappointing, but he deserves better.
This is just too much for just playing poorly.

Is there something about him we outsiders don't know about? Or is the relationship just burned to the ground?

If LA doesn't want him this badly then why are some LA fans thinking he's going to fetch a 1st?

At this point Habs late 2nd almost seems too much. Maybe someone like Harvey Pinard. He was trending towards a 50 point forward and seems stalled.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is just too much for just playing poorly.

Is there something about him we outsiders don't know about? Or is the relationship just burned to the ground?

If LA doesn't want him this badly then why are some LA fans thinking he's going to fetch a 1st?

At this point Habs late 2nd almost seems too much. Maybe someone like Harvey Pinard. He was trending towards a 50 point forward and seems stalled.
There are no red flags and the relationship is fine. He just doesn't have much impact unless he's scoring. He doesn't do enough of the other things that coaches like, such as hustle, hit and defend. I understand why the coaches prefer other players who do at least one of those things. That said, he's young and has a fairly high ceiling if they'd just teach him to be a better player and be patient with him, but they seem to be running out of patience. It's partly their fault, though, because they rushed his development by letting him spend only half of a season in the AHL, despite being raw and one dimensional, and scratch him often. No wonder he hasn't developed into a more complete player.

I think that he's probably worth a late 2nd. He was drafted early in the 2nd and his value has slipped, but he's proven that he can be a 40pt player if given opportunity. It's just that Blake is bad at asset management, so I don't expect much of a return.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There are no red flags and the relationship is fine. He just doesn't have much impact unless he's scoring. He doesn't do enough of the other things that coaches like, such as hustle, hit and defend. I understand why the coaches prefer other players who do at least one of those things. That said, he's young and has a fairly high ceiling if they'd just teach him to be a better player and be patient with him, but they seem to be running out of patience. It's partly their fault, though, because they rushed his development by letting him spend only half of a season in the AHL, despite being raw and one dimensional. No wonder he hasn't developed into a more complete player.

I think that he's probably worth a late 2nd. He was drafted early in the 2nd and his value has slipped, but he's proven that he can be a 40pt player if given opportunity. It's just that Blake is bad at asset management, so I don't have high expectations for the return.
Which funny enough if you look up a few posts, that is what I would offer for him.

(Before any Hab fan throws up his poutine, a late 2nd has maybe 15% chance of growing into a 100 game NHLer. Even lower of him turning out to be a 40pt player. If any LA fan thinks he's mini Gretzky and worth a fortune, sun screen is applied, not consumed. )

The Habs environment would be a pack of hungry youngsters out to make a name for themselves. Much like Dach, he may decide it's his home and he damn well going to leave a mark on the tree.

I'm good with hungry, slightly mad, or just plain old kind of mad and snarly misfits....

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Kaliyev probably go in a package for a goalie. He looks like troubled prospect in LA. Needs change of scenery. He's one dimensional player. Problem is 6 goals in 44 games, even that dimension is not that good.

Reactions: Nevins and YP44

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Kaliyev probably go in a package for a goalie. He looks like troubled prospect in LA. Needs change of scenery. He's one dimensional player. Problem is 6 goals in 44 games, even that dimension is not that good.
How conveniently you have forgot to mention his production in 2 prior years.
He was mentally ruined by former Kings coach, which killed his production during this year.
He needs mental help in the order to become goal scorer again.
LA will trade him for somebody in similar situation, but not for not needed assets.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
I watch a fair amount of Kings games being in the So Cal market - he still doesn't skate well enough or do anything away from the puck. he has a great shot but that only gets you so far. he's a mentally under control Nick Ritchie

Reactions: theMajor and Satan

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
How conveniently you have forgot to mention his production in 2 prior years.
He was mentally ruined by former Kings coach, which killed his production during this year.
He needs mental help in the order to become goal scorer again.
LA will trade him for somebody in similar situation, but not for not needed assets.
Would you do Primeau for Kaliyev?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad