Artemi Panarin vs Auston Matthews

Who's better

• Artemi Panarin

• Auston Matthews

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mar 26, 2010
You should know by now that when comparing Matthews to other players the only thing that matters it total points and not just being able to score goals.

However I won't complain about seeing Matthews score a hat trick.
Panarin is a fantastic player, no question about it.

Matthews is way younger and better though. You take the 22 yo generational scorer.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Matthews is a top 3 goal scorer in the NHL but Panarin is better in basically every other aspect at this moment. He's a consistent scorer and has put up elite numbers with 3 different teams and gotten better every year

Very jealous the Rangers signed him. 11M is looking pretty good for him

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What kind of point is that supposed to make? Matthews has only been a little bit worse than Panarin since then?
The tweet from Jonas Siegel specifically says December 4th because it was the day Mitch Marner returned from his injury and after that is when Sheldon Keefe put him on the same line with Matthews at 5v5.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I still don't get it. Panarin has outscored him by 8 points in under one and a half months. That's not nothing.
I don't know how else to explain that tweet so I'm going to try one last time. Before Marner was hurt he was only playing with Matthews during Leafs power plays. However since Mike Babcock was fired during Marner's injury and he didn't play his first game under Sheldon Keefe until December 4th, it was after that when he was placed on a 5v5 line with Matthews. So that's why Jonas Siegel used that day as a specific example.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't know how else to explain that tweet so I'm going to try one last time. When Marner was hurt he was only playing with Matthews during Leafs power plays. However since Mike Babcock was fired during Marner's injury and he didn't play his first game under Sheldon Keefe until December 4th, it was after that when he was placed on a 5v5 line with Matthews. So that's why Jonas Siegel used that day as a specific example.
Yeah, I get what it means, but it's still no argument for Matthews being better than Panarin.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, I get what it means, but it's still no argument for Matthews being better than Panarin.
I honestly think he only included Panarin because he happened to have the most points since that date. So because he wanted to list the top 4 where Matthews and Marner rank since that date, he would have put any player no matter who it was at #1. It just happens to be Panarin and there is this poll comparing Matthews and him. So it's also a coincidence if you look at it from that point of view.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
For the record, Matthews was put with Marner on December 21st, not the 4th.

Since then, Matthews has 13 goals and 19 points in 11 games.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The tweet from Jonas Siegel specifically says December 4th because it was the day Mitch Marner returned from his injury and after that is when Sheldon Keefe put him on the same line with Matthews at 5v5.
Marner hasn’t played for the Rangers all season and Panarin has 67pts in 45gp on a line with Fast & Strome

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I'm obviously biased but I take Matthews for his goal scoring ability and the fact that he is a 6'3 C. The defensive game has really been improving recently as well.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So Panarin has over 30% more points than Matthews over that stretch of games.
That really strengthens the argument in favour of Panarin.
Thanks for posting that!
I wasn't posting it because Panarin happens to be #1 since December 4th. I did it to show how far Matthews has come since the coaching change and being placed on a line with Marner after that specific date.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Oh, so what you're saying is this is proof Marner is the reason Matthews is producing like a top ten player now? :sarcasm:
If anything playing with Marner has made Matthews and even better player. Plus you are forgetting they had wanted to be on the same line at 5v5, which is something Leafs fans also wanted to see and Babcock would never do that.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Since December 4th Panarian has only got 8 more total points than Matthews.

Matthews plays with another guy higher up on the list. Panarin plays with Ryan Strome. That about says it all.

No disrespect to Matthews but Panarin is the 2nd best offensive generator in the league this year. He's playing like a guy deserving of league max

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews plays with another guy higher up on the list. Panarin plays with Ryan Strome. That about says it all.

No disrespect to Matthews but Panarin is the 2nd best offensive generator in the league this year.
Yet it took Mike Babcock being fired for Matthews to play with some as talented as Mitch Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad