Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Foligno cost the Leafs a 1st AND a 4th.

One of those moves that its worth it only if they win the cup but they don't it seems like a very high cost to pay for an asset that is 33, past his prime, and kind of a half point a game character type player. Compare it to a much better trade deadline move when the Leafs got Muzzin with term for a 1st and Grundstrom (former 2nd round pick) and turned it into a solid top 4 asset long term and patched a hole. In fairness this is the leaf's prime window though. Given their cap situation and the fact they only have Matthews for this playoffs and two more before he enters his lame duck season. Combine that with the fact Tavares will be 31 this September I think they have to go for it.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
One of those moves that its worth it only if they win the cup but they don't it seems like a very high cost to pay for an asset that is 33, past his prime, and kind of a half point a game character type player. Compare it to a much better trade deadline move when the Leafs got Muzzin with term for a 1st and Grundstrom (former 2nd round pick) and turned it into a solid top 4 asset long term and patched a hole. In fairness this is the leaf's prime window though. Given their cap situation and the fact they only have Matthews for this playoffs and two more before he enters his lame duck season. Combine that with the fact Tavares will be 31 this September I think they have to go for it.
I agree. It’s a high price to pay, but Tampa gave up a 1st for Goodrow last year and I’m sure they don’t care.

This year and next are the Leafs years. After that there gonna be heading into a rebuild.

I don’t think Foligno was the type of player they should’ve brought it, and they massively overpaid (to be fair, not as bad as Tampa with Savard), but at least they’re trying to do something before their window closes.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Nice to see Florida win one, but it’s a shame that Minnesota seems to be pulling a Jets against the Knights.

EDIT: Damn, I also miss Brandon Tanev. Loved his energy, and he had a great goal for Pitt.

Jets then were better than Minnesota now

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
JT seems like a nice guy and he is a good player.
The media coverage was over the top and it became theatre after a while just like news in general.
It was an unfortunate play and hopefully JT will be alright in time.
It didn’t appear to be deliberate and only Perry knows for sure.

Happened too fast to have been deliberate, even if you ignore Perry trying to avoid the collision. The closest he could have come to 'deliberate' in the time available was to deliberately NOT try to avoid it.

I don't think there is any question that it was an accident.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Happened too fast to have been deliberate, even if you ignore Perry trying to avoid the collision. The closest he could have come to 'deliberate' in the time available was to deliberately NOT try to avoid it.

I don't think there is any question that it was an accident.

yeah, Perry tried to not accidentally intentionally hit him in the head when he was intentionally trying to avoid contact

loved Perry fighting like a little girl with Foligno, now that was funny!

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was referring to the Perry collision being accidental.

Yes. My point was that there was a hard hit to a teammate of the kind that frequently provokes a response. Doesn't make the fight justified, but it happens that way pretty often. That is, if you just ignore the collision and injury.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
yeah, Perry tried to not accidentally intentionally hit him in the head when he was intentionally trying to avoid contact

loved Perry fighting like a little girl with Foligno, now that was funny!
Even funnier was him trying to talk his way out of it beforehand, lol. I would have loved to have heard the conversation between him, Foligno and Weber.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I agree. It’s a high price to pay, but Tampa gave up a 1st for Goodrow last year and I’m sure they don’t care.

This year and next are the Leafs years. After that there gonna be heading into a rebuild.

I don’t think Foligno was the type of player they should’ve brought it, and they massively overpaid (to be fair, not as bad as Tampa with Savard), but at least they’re trying to do something before their window closes.

Tampa knows they will get very good 1st and 2nd line centres (Point and Cirelli) with 3rd round picks. So they say, Dear NHL go ahead and take our 1st round picks but our 3rd round picks are off the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowkiddin

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Even funnier was him trying to talk his way out of it beforehand, lol. I would have loved to have heard the conversation between him, Foligno and Weber.

My guess is Foligno probably said to Perry "both our teams are rattled, let's have a go and carry on with the game".

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Boston is an incredibly sound team at the fundamentals. Their structure has been flawless, their breakouts, neutral zone play, zone entries, forecheck are all spot on. Great puck support all over the ice.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Tampa knows they will get very good 1st and 2nd line centres (Point and Cirelli) with 3rd round picks. So they say, Dear NHL go ahead and take our 1st round picks but our 3rd round picks are off the table.
I think there’s a good amount of luck involved in getting star players in mid-rounds.

But conversely, the Lightning are almost always contenders and they usually make deep runs. Giving up picks in the 28-32 range is fine. And it worked for them last year.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
JT seems like a nice guy and he is a good player.
The media coverage was over the top and it became theatre after a while just like news in general.
It was an unfortunate play and hopefully JT will be alright in time.
It didn’t appear to be deliberate and only Perry knows for sure.

It was good to hear Tavares got out of the hospital yesterday. That is in important first step. I hate seeing injuries like that. I hope John has a full recovery.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Seriously. How hard is it for TSN/SN to play some hockey highlights?

They show the Jets/Oilers, Tavares watch, then jump to basketball/soccer/etc. As far as I know, there were at least 2-3 more NHL games last night from which I want to see highlights!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad