Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Flames beating To 2 -1.
If Kane can prove that having to payback money you borrowed and spent constitutes slavery and is then illegal, there could be some economic opportunities on the horizon...
If Kane can win his case I want him as my lawyer what an insane argument.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
So basically Kane is arguing that converting from Chapter 7 to Chapter 11 makes him a "slave". :facepalm:

If you have a mortgage you are a slave to the bank. That's why you work and that's why they take your money. It's just like having your wages garnished. Kane just wants to get out of paying.

Kane has always been more than quick to play the race card. But this takes the cake. :laugh: What a maroon!

He just can't get it through his head that he is an Ahole, regardless of colour.

If Kane can prove that having to payback money you borrowed and spent constitutes slavery and is then illegal, there could be some economic opportunities on the horizon...

If Kane can win his case I want him as my lawyer what an insane argument.

This has nothing to do with race - these are labour law issues (indebted servitude). Evander Kane is not making these argument, his defense lawyers are.... this is angle is used commonly in bankruptcy cases. They don't want the people overseeing the bankruptcy to be able to force him to sign any sponsorship or playing deals against his will - being forced to sign a contract and work for nothing would violate the 13th amendment.

Last edited by a moderator:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I didn’t think Anderson played bad against the Jets but he is a massive whipping boy there now. Leafs are going through that rough patch each team usually has in a season. Race is so tight in the west and with Sutter in Calgary we are back to 5 teams chasing 4 spots.

Pretty fun really.

None

Feb 22, 2012
This has nothing to do with race - these are labour law issues (indebted servitude). Evander Kane is not making these argument, his defense lawyers are.... this is angle is used commonly in bankruptcy cases. They don't want the people overseeing the bankruptcy to be able to force him to sign any sponsorship or playing deals against his will - being forced to sign a contract and work for nothing would violate the 13th amendment.

Yep, this is protecting earnings that are earned outside of what he used as collateral to guarantee his debts. It's literally the basis for the defense of it being Chapter 7 and not Chapter 11.
Sensationalist clickbait headline from The Athletic, which is a little gross for a website driven by subscriptions.

I cancelled my subscription when they went a weekend without reporting on the hottest topic in sports when Daryl Morey tweeted about Hong Kong.
Maybe they're hurting for cash. :dunno:

Fastfrde

Oct 11, 2017
Winterpeg
I watched the Vancouver/Montreal overtime, I have no idea what Montreal was trying to do. It honestly looked like they were trying to get to the shootout. If it wasn’t for the one breakaway, I don’t think they would have taken the puck into Vancouver’s zone.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Yep, this is protecting earnings that are earned outside of what he used as collateral to guarantee his debts. It's literally the basis for the defense of it being Chapter 7 and not Chapter 11.
Sensationalist clickbait headline from The Athletic, which is a little gross for a website driven by subscriptions.

I cancelled my subscription when they went a weekend without reporting on the hottest topic in sports when Daryl Morey tweeted about Hong Kong.
Maybe they're hurting for cash. :dunno:
I'm seeing more and more posts about the Athletic's quality dropping. Wonder what's been going on with them?

None

Feb 22, 2012
I'm seeing more and more posts about the Athletic's quality dropping. Wonder what's been going on with them?

Just speculation but their quick expansion was driven by venture capitalist investment, maybe they're finally asking for a return? Clicks probably add some subscribers, but content quality is going to be what keeps people interested.
People without a subscription can only see the headline and about a single paragraph intro, maybe they're experimenting with more sensationalist headlines to draw subscriptions.

Edit to add: My reasoning for unsubscribing was somewhat due to questioning the motives behind why they were so silent re: Morey, the NBA, Hong Kong, and China. Their first article about it kind of solidified their stance on it. The Winnipeg content was still enjoyable to read at that time.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Just speculation but their quick expansion was driven by venture capitalist investment, maybe they're finally asking for a return? Clicks probably add some subscribers, but content quality is going to be what keeps people interested.
People without a subscription can only see the headline and about a single paragraph intro, maybe they're experimenting with more sensationalist headlines to draw subscriptions.

Edit to add: My reasoning for unsubscribing was somewhat due to questioning the motives behind why they were so silent re: Morey, the NBA, Hong Kong, and China. Their first article about it kind of solidified their stance on it. The Winnipeg content was still enjoyable to read at that time.
The Athletic is for sports news. Why would they be talking about Hong Kong?
I find their articles to be top notch.

None

Feb 22, 2012
The Athletic is for sports news. Why would they be talking about Hong Kong?
I find their articles to be top notch.

It was one of the biggest stories in sports. It dominated headlines elsewhere in other sports publications for weeks and they were initially radio silent.
Without any discussion of the topic, ignoring that story for any reason is stupid if they want to be taken seriously.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The 13th Amendment is not labour law. It is Civil Rights, Human Rights. They are not suggesting that he be forced to sign any contract, sponsorship or playing deal. They are trying to garnishee his earnings under the contract he has already signed willingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
i just read some of the comments

that arrogant fan base love their pitchforks and hate their goalies

Hey we can be nasty too.
They have some really good posters there but naturally they stay away after a game.

Some of those posts are hilariously nasty.
It’s only a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad