Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
The statement the other day seemed like the end reminded me of Noel with his comment of not knowing what to do now.

Too bad. Gallant incoming ?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I'm in favor in replacing a coach if you feel the coach isn't getting the most out of your team and there is a lot of potential for the team to do well, but in Buffalo's case....I understand it... but it will make NO difference.

Too late for this season - but he was really making the least out of his roster, even before the injuries hit.

Eichel, 2 G in 21 games
Hall 2 G in 28 games
etc, etc, etc.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
tenor.gif

None

Feb 22, 2012
So how do you fix the Sabres at this point? Is there any realistic option that wouldn't be considered a rebuild?

I think they need a GM who isn't too familiar with the owners. No more shortcuts; sell Eichel on a realistic timeline and if they can't keep him happy they need to sell trade him before he's a rental because realistically I don't see them being a playoff team until the last year or two of that contract.
Eichel's contract is the biggest issue with a rebuild in my opinion because it's going to be up for renewal around the time they might start seeing light at the end of the tunnel. It would probably set them back years if they lose that value for Eichel if he walks or they trade him as a rental.

Edit: sell->trade

Last edited:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
So how do you fix the Sabres at this point? Is there any realistic option that wouldn't be considered a rebuild?

I think they need a GM who isn't too familiar with the owners. No more shortcuts; sell Eichel on a realistic timeline and if they can't keep him happy they need to sell him before he's a rental because realistically I don't see them being a playoff team until the last year or two of that contract.
Eichel's contract is the biggest issue with a rebuild in my opinion because it's going to be up for renewal around the time they might start seeing light at the end of the tunnel. It would probably set them back years if they lose that value for Eichel if he walks or they trade him as a rental.
If only Hall hadn't turded out this year and lost value.

If they can send Hall out at the TDL for a first and prospect, then bundle that with Skinner retained for a mid-range pick at the draft, they can at least clear up that mess.

I don't think they can turn this around with Eichel. Not sure how to handle that situation.

None

Feb 22, 2012

If they can send Hall out at the TDL for a first and prospect, then bundle that with Skinner retained for a mid-range pick at the draft, they can at least clear up that mess.

I don't think they can turn this around with Eichel. Not sure how to handle that situation.

Hall's comment last week raised a lot of red flags with regards to his mindset this year. Basically admitted that he's only concerned about his next contract at this point. That's how I took this quote:
"Let's be serious, we're a lot of points out of the playoffs. We should be playing loose and playing free."

Maybe just taken the wrong way, but it literally sounds like he just wants to play garbage hockey and pad his stats. Not completely unreasonable given that he's in a contract year, but why sign with Buffalo if you're just going to be selfish? Teams like Buffalo and Edmonton that have struggled to find consistency can't afford to be playing loose hockey even if they're very clearly noncompetitive.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Islanders take a big hit losing Anders Lee for the rest of the year, Leaf's big off season signing off to Vancouver

Forsberg to Ottawa. He may actually get to play there.

Edit: Comrie to taxi squad incoming any minute now.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Beefalo needs to shed some bad contracts like Skinner's and Okposo's deals.
They need a goalie.
Get what you can for Hall, Montour and Staal at the TD.
Move Eakin to the 4th line for next year after being on the taxi squad for the rest of this season.
They'll also have to acquire some D men after this season.
Eichel has 5 more seasons after this one so I'd probably trade him if the price is right and it'd have to be a LOT.

They need a coach...Julien and Gallant come to mind off of the top of my head.

Throw LOTS of money at someone like Chevy that knows how to build a team.

To do all this the fan base needs patience and they are sorely lacking in that area. The fans are still willing to trade their high draft picks for temporary help and we all know that isn't too smart.

The best move would be if the Pegulas sold the team or butted out of the business but that isn't going to happen.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

If they can make those moves with Hall & Skinner, they aren't looking too bad. They have a couple of other pending UFA's they might get something for. They have some good prospects. But they badly need a goalie. With a goalie and some cap space to work with, they can start to turn it around.

The Eichel relationship might be tough to fix. They would need to take an established player back to move that much cap hit, but they should be able to get a good one. How about start with Seth Jones from CBJ?

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hall's comment last week raised a lot of red flags with regards to his mindset this year. Basically admitted that he's only concerned about his next contract at this point. That's how I took this quote:
"Let's be serious, we're a lot of points out of the playoffs. We should be playing loose and playing free."

Maybe just taken the wrong way, but it literally sounds like he just wants to play garbage hockey and pad his stats. Not completely unreasonable given that he's in a contract year, but why sign with Buffalo if you're just going to be selfish? Teams like Buffalo and Edmonton that have struggled to find consistency can't afford to be playing loose hockey even if they're very clearly noncompetitive.

I take that a little differently. Teams playing without pressure quite often play better. We see spoiler teams quite often. I think he means it more that way.

If his next contract is all he is worried about, he hasn't done anything to help his cause so far this year.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I take that a little differently. Teams playing without pressure quite often play better. We see spoiler teams quite often. I think he means it more that way.

If his next contract is all he is worried about, he hasn't done anything to help his cause so far this year.

I can see it that way as well, I just don't think anyone should be playing loose and comfortable if they're not winning. Getting over the complacency in losing is a big obstacle for a lot of teams, it just reads like Hall still hasn't gotten over that going all the way back to Edmonton.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
That fan base deserves better.

I'll never forget the time they cheered against their own team while playing the accidentally-awful Coyotes.

I know it wasn't all the fans, and I realize I am coming off a little pearl-clutch-y, but it was legitimately gross.

But if they don't deserve it, who does?

Beefalo needs to shed some bad contracts like Skinner's and Okposo's deals.

Okposo--just wait it out.

In the case of Skinner, though, they neeeed to recover some value there. He's a $6.5m player getting paid $9m and getting $2.5m results. They need to get him back up to $5m in play before they can even decide what to do.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Buffalo needs a Chevy like GM
Chevy has been successful in Winnipeg because he has been able to hire good people and build a strong organization around him, and Chipman has allowed him to do it. As much as Jets fans bitch about Chipman being too involved in Hockey Ops, you can see in Buffalo what happens when an owner with no experience running a hockey team gets involved.

The Pegulas fired a bunch of front office people including the assistant GMs, and a bunch of their scouts. They gutted the organization and put all the responsability on a coach who hadn't been in the NHL for over 5 years and a first time GM.

They need to rebuild the entire organization but the Pegulas apparently dont think they need those people. Elliotte Friedman was saying the other day that they dont even believe in having a president of hockey operations, that they want the GM to report right to Kim Pegula.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
IIRC, Maurice and Krueger have strong ties with each other and are strong friends . I wonder if they explore bringing him in as an assistant coach here. Want to make it clear I'm not advocating for this just thought of the connection and Maurice's strong friendship with him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad