Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Good on Torts. Wish we had him as our coach. I'll just say that if Laine comes out next game with a fire in his belly like his only game here this season, we'll know Torts made the right move. If Laine responds with a PLD Shift That Shook the World, we'll know Chevy made the right move. I'm putting my money on Laine to step up his game.

Highway1

Jan 9, 2017
As much as I liked Roslovic I don’t see him keeping up this pace. For jack’s sake I hope he can but unless he changes his game to go into the hard places it will be tough but who knows. Maybe he can change his style.

Reactions: snowkiddin

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Good on Torts. Wish we had him as our coach. I'll just say that if Laine comes out next game with a fire in his belly like his only game here this season, we'll know Torts made the right move. If Laine responds with a PLD Shift That Shook the World, we'll know Chevy made the right move. I'm putting my money on Laine to step up his game.

Different people are motivated different ways. Not every player responds to being benched and publicly called out. If a player doesn’t respond to that it’s not on the player it’s on the coach.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
That's pretty iffy to lay that all on Laine... if anything, he was too deep and not on his Dman - but I do see how he needs to at least look like he's trying harder

Marc Savard looks at fault for that one - nice hustle by Roslo again... ugh

There's a missed assignment and there's standing and watching the play 10 feet away from being in any position of consequence. That one is pretty brutal even for the standard Laine has set for himself.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
When all is said and done, I wonder if it will be evident that Laine's agents and Finnish media acolytes led Laine down the wrong path.

Well Torts won’t back down from a fight and he won’t put up with shit. His teams play a certain way and he won’t play favorites to Laine if he doesn’t buy in to the team game. Could cost Torts his job due to the high price of the trade but it will be interesting to see how Laine responds to a hard ass coach.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone take a peek at the Blue Jackets board to see how Laine’s fan club is doing with the benching? Can’t imagine they are taking it well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Tortorella says benching not due to the mistakes on the 2nd CAR goal and the following shift. He said the details will remain within the locker-room.
What in the blue hell could that be?
Torts is going to overplay his hand. Kekalainen will fire him before another young star decides to leave. Even if Torts is fired, it'll just put more pressure on Laine and I'm not sure how he'll be able to handle it. I kind of feel sad for Laine.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
When the coach benched Laine at the Ivan Hlinka he flipped him off and depending on the source either threatened to kill him or punch him in the face which got him kicked off the team.

He has a history of reacting badly to being benched which might be why Mauirce avoided completely benching Laine when he was playing poorly.

It will be interesting to see how he reacts to this one, either he will rise up and actually improve his defensive play(hasn't happened in 5 years) or things are already going off the rails in Columbus.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Torts is going to overplay his hand. Kekalainen will fire him before another young star decides to leave. Even if Torts is fired, it'll just put more pressure on Laine and I'm not sure how he'll be able to handle it. I kind of feel sad for Laine.

Will be an interesting situation to watch play out considering the player is asking for a 8 figure salary as early as next season from a franchise that has no history of paying star players, plus he has nowhere near the effect of someone who gets that contract. Could see them salvaging some value and moving on with Roslovic as the bounty for Dubois.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Anyone take a peek at the Blue Jackets board to see how Laine’s fan club is doing with the benching? Can’t imagine they are taking it well.
A lot of the actual Columbus fans agree with it, most of the Laine fanclub other than the hockey professor haven't posted yet and even Avgard's post was only 2 sentences.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

Agree, the histrionics and drama are a bit too much. I will guess that Laine responds in a predictable linear fashion to actual game-related situational pressure, but I'm not sure about the psychological stuff that is currently being dished up. Its not required IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: SLAYER and Jets 31

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
When the coach benched Laine at the Ivan Hlinka he flipped him off and depending on the source either threatened to kill him or punch him in the face which got him kicked off the team.

He has a history of reacting badly to being benched which might be why Mauirce avoided completely benching Laine when he was playing poorly.

It will be interesting to see how he reacts to this one, either he will rise up and actually improve his defensive play(hasn't happened in 5 years) or things are already going off the rails in Columbus.

He was definitely coddled here and maybe realizes that in hindsight. He could be useless all over the ice and he'd still be on the #1 PP at the top of the circle with everyone trying to tee him up.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A lot of the actual Columbus fans agree with it, most of the Laine fanclub other than the hockey professor haven't posted yet and even Avgard's post was only 2 sentences.
Thanks. I just went by their board and read the last couple pages of the GDT. I must admit there GDT is much more chill than ours.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Laine should have reacted quicker ( made an effort). Coach needed to address it. He got his point across. Let see next game, hopefully Laine goes out gangbuster. The length of the benching is extreme. But Tort always do extremes.

For those that said Laine didnt get bench in Peg, he was benched multiple times for bad games. He was relegated to the 3rd line few times also. Im not saying Laine was right then ( he needed it ) , but just to point out that Laine was/been benched in Peg before.

Laine just need to keep digging simalar to the 1st game of the season. With Laine its also all extreme. If he score a goal its all over the news. If he makes a mistake its all over the news. It will be up and down season for him.
Hopefully more of a high and less low (its gonna happen again).

But Tort stating they are disjointed off the ice, that is concerning for them.. Looks like they will have a long season........... i think they make the playoff still.

Reactions: robertocarlos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad