Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
That Ottawa defense and Vancouver defense.
Will really distort how the top teams in the North compare to the rest of the league best teams.

This set up guarantees a Canadian team is represented in the final 4 though.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Since the trade thread was closed, I guess we're going to have a stickied Laine thread.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Yep, 2 goals on the PP, awful stats in his own zone, and his team lost! It's like he never left.
Yeah, and sadly i really doubt the bulb ever goes on for him and he puts in the extra effort to be a complete player. He always struck me as a guy whos team could lose 8-2 and he scored both goals but was atrocious defensively, and would be like "i scored two goals, i did my job, rest of the team let me down."

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah, and sadly i really doubt the bulb ever goes on for him and he puts in the extra effort to be a complete player. He always struck me as a guy whos team could lose 8-2 and he scored both goals but was atrocious defensively, and would be like "i scored two goals, i did my job, rest of the team let me down."

I'm not sure he's in a drastically different situation than he was here. He's their best forward now, which he liked, but the team has issues just like this one and I'm not sure how they solve them.

I think he is a team guy and wants to win and help his team win, but he wants to be the reason they win more often than not.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Since the trade thread was closed, I guess we're going to have a stickied Laine thread.

No trade talk was happening in that thread at the time, plus that's what Around the NHL thread is for to talk about other teams and players on other teams, plus there is the trade thread on the main boards still people can post.......many options to post. Trade happened over two weeks ago, life goes on.

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
I'm not sure he's in a drastically different situation than he was here. He's their best forward now, which he liked, but the team has issues just like this one and I'm not sure how they solve them.

I think he is a team guy and wants to win and help his team win, but he wants to be the reason they win more often than not.
Maybe, but always seemed like more of a me guy to me.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
the interesting thing will be the metrics by which the Laine-Dubois trade are measured.
some dunderheads will use goals.
I think that you'll have to look at overall team success, fancystats and whether or not either player signs a long-term contract with their new team.
not saying that as sour grapes to the trade. but i can totally see some people saying "see?!?! Laine scored 40 goals. the Jackets KILLED the trade!" even if the Jackets finish out of the playoffs forever and ever amen

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Guys watch the game.
Its not played on advance stats.
See if Laine was really that bad as some makes him up to be :laugh: some are getting exposed with their comments by just looking at that xg.

A goal can get scored on your team while you are on the ice and you cant really do anything about it. But all goals you scored is pretty much is on you almost all the time as you need to shoot or deflect it. Once in a while it hits you and a lucky goal goes in.

We make power play goals seems irrelevant here.

Let him and Roslo be successfull there.
And Dubois here.

Cheers!!!!

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
That was a weird game with CBus/Carolina

At one point the Jackets had 4 goals on 15 shots with about 5 minutes left in the game. I really don't think they mounted any sustained pressure for the entire game unless they were a man up

No fault to Laine but he does what does which is scores but he needs some linemates to do the heavy lifting. They are likely headed for a just miss the playoff spot but they need some more talent there or they are going to get buried game after game

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

At one point the Jackets had 4 goals on 15 shots with about 5 minutes left in the game. I really don't think they mounted any sustained pressure for the entire game unless they were a man up

No fault to Laine but he does what does which is scores but he needs some linemates to do the heavy lifting. They are likely headed for a just miss the playoff spot but they need some more talent there or they are going to get buried game after game
After Tampa Bay, that division is all over the place... once Elvis and Werenski are healthy that will make a big difference

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That Ottawa defense and Vancouver defense.
Will really distort how the top teams in the North compare to the rest of the league best teams.

This set up guarantees a Canadian team is represented in the final 4 though.

Thinking about this season, 56 games, 7 team division that plays only within the Div. We see each team 9 or 10 times. Made me think of the 'Original Six'. Each team played only 5 other teams all year. They certainly had their rivalries. :laugh: Then they went to play-off series against teams they knew very well. :laugh:

Reactions: RabidOne

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
the interesting thing will be the metrics by which the Laine-Dubois trade are measured.
some dunderheads will use goals.
I think that you'll have to look at overall team success, fancystats and whether or not either player signs a long-term contract with their new team.
not saying that as sour grapes to the trade. but i can totally see some people saying "see?!?! Laine scored 40 goals. the Jackets KILLED the trade!" even if the Jackets finish out of the playoffs forever and ever amen

But how about if Roslovic continues scoring at a ppg pace in their top 6? :laugh:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Anyone know what happened to Sean Tierney? Up until a couple of days ago, he was posting daily charts on Twitter. Now he's vanished along with months of tweets.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Anyone know what happened to Sean Tierney? Up until a couple of days ago, he was posting daily charts on Twitter. Now he's vanished along with months of tweets.
His website is down "indefinitely", so it's possible he got scooped up by some team. That's what happened to previous bloggers who got headhunted by NHL teams, IIRC.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

I saw about half of the game and felt just like you described it - CBJ never really looked in control of the game. I always felt like the Canes would just up the tempo a little bit whenever needed and would eventually end up winning the game. Laine's two goals where as nice as you expect them to be but I can't help but have a bad feeling about it for their long time overall success. I love Laine but I still don't think he is all around good enough to be your undeniable #1 guy for every game situation to count on. He's just not that player - maybe he will be at some point but I'm not convinced and I wouldn't bet my house on it.

Other than that I think it was interesting to see CBJ actually gift Roslovic the PP QB spot (Werenski is out so we'll see if the comes back) to be the one player setting up the sequence for the Laine PP-pass - and he really did well doing it several times. He played pretty good - didn't follow him closely enough over the rest of the game to have a particular opinion on his game though.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I hope both Laine and Roslovic do well but getting Dubois makes the Jets a better team and that's all i care about. Didn't want to lose Laine but you gotta give to get as they say. Dubois seems very happy to be a Winnipeg Jet and that can only mean good things for our Jets.:nod:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thinking about this season, 56 games, 7 team division that plays only within the Div. We see each team 9 or 10 times. Made me think of the 'Original Six'. Each team played only 5 other teams all year. They certainly had their rivalries. :laugh: Then they went to play-off series against teams they knew very well. :laugh:

and you won the cup if you could get out of your 6 team division. It’s why I don’t take cups as seriously from pre expansion era. Winning is always awesome but a six team league without allot of player movement means an organization could rack up allot of cups with a dynasty.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
post-covid, wouldn't it be interesting if the NHL created divisions based on something other than geography?
an Original Six division would be pretty neat. toss in Ottawa for their historical "original" history and maybe toss the Sabres in for ease (keeps the Islanders and Devils in another division for possible rivalries).

re-creating the Smythe division would be interesting but a television headache, so it wouldn't happen.

original six division: Leafs,Wings,Hawks, Habs, Sabres, Sens,bruins, Rangers

West coast: Canucks, Oil, Flames, Kraken, Ducks, Kings, Sharks, Knights.

Central: Jets, Wild, Coyotes, Stars, Avalanche, Blues, Predators, Blue Jackets?

east: Islanders, Devils, Flyers, Penguins, Capitals, Lightening, Panthers, Hurricanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->