Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Speaking of NBCSN looks like NBC will be pulling the plug by the end of the year

One of the concerns I've seen is if the NHL gives some % of their national rights to NBC is that they might relegate some of the excellent teams to Peacock to prop it up for initial subscriptions.
Basically the same problem they had with going with OLN vs ESPN, the upfront cash is larger but the TV subscriptions (actual eyes watching) is so much lower.

The biggest problem the NHL has in the US is going to always be convincing the network covering it to treat it equitably with the other major leagues. The network needs to be just as active as putting it out there as the league.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
One of the concerns I've seen is if the NHL gives some % of their national rights to NBC is that they might relegate some of the excellent teams to Peacock to prop it up for initial subscriptions.
Basically the same problem they had with going with OLN vs ESPN, the upfront cash is larger but the TV subscriptions (actual eyes watching) is so much lower.

The biggest problem the NHL has in the US is going to always be convincing the network covering it to treat it equitably with the other major leagues. The network needs to be just as active as putting it out there as the league.
NBC has already announced their plans for the content currently on NBCSN, they will be moving most live sports to USA network, im pretty sure they even specified NHL as one that would be moving to USA which was a hint that they expect to have at least partial rights moving forward after this season.

None

Feb 22, 2012
NBC has already announced their plans for the content currently on NBCSN, they will be moving most live sports to USA network, im pretty sure they even specified NHL as one that would be moving to USA which was a hint that they expect to have at least partial rights moving forward after this season.

Yeah, they apparently told the EPL the same thing and then put a Manchester Utd game on Peacock and put a bunch of bottom feeders on one of their regular cable channels :laugh:

They say one thing now while they're probably negotiating but when the Peacock numbers are lower than projected they'll do anything to increase them.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Really scary injury for Hoglander, the puck catching him in the eye area. Reminiscent of the Little injury, hopefully not that serious.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Really scary injury for Hoglander, the puck catching him in the eye area. Reminiscent of the Little injury, hopefully not that serious.

He seemed pretty nonchalant about it and you can see him blinking normally. I think it just caught him a little above the bridge of his nose and there's a few spots up there that just bleed a ton once the skin is broken.
Hopefully he's okay though, one of the newest bright spots for the Canucks.

Edit: Yep, I went looking for the clip but it happened about an hour ago and it was as I thought: just a superficial cut near the brow that bled like something exploded :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think that's the crazy thing about Hasek is when you just look at him it looks like he's just flopping around out there, just going with whatever comes into his head at the moment. But if you really analyze what he's doing for every action there is a specific reaction he does. If a right handed shooter fakes right and goes backhand left, he lunges out with his blocker, stick flat on the ice, rolls over his glove hand sideways, he's no longer trying to catch the puck in his glove. He's trying to use it as another blocker. He then brings both arms out flat on the ice, head tilted back to see the play and both feet come up. He's used it on virtually every single righty that dekes left on him in his career. He knows that when you're on your backhand you have two options you can either go low, which he has taken away, or you can go high. The hope is that you go high because that's where he is baiting you to go. Now he his looking right at your blade flat on the ice, both feet in the air and all he has to do is guess based on your stick position where you will go.

I've seen some deep dives into the things he does and just like with profly, there is a save for every situation. He just did it in a far more athletic way, by flipping upside down. Now his arms are the butterfly and his pads become the chest. The genius is that he can stack them and take away a sizeable portion or he can split them, something your chest can't do. He also almost always tosses his stick when flipping over, usually throwing it into the net or letting it go towards the shooter.

Interesting stuff. Hasek was unique.

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
Laine on the bench for the last 7 minutes of the 2nd period in the CBJ-CAR game. He didn’t look good on the goal against on his last shift. Standing watching.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Laine benched by Torts in the game against Carolina, he looked pissed on the bench. Will be interesting to see how he responds.

As above.

Not surprised, when Laine has been on the ice this season to-date his line has been out shot badly. That's the negative of Laine, you have to surround him with the right players (offensively & defensively) to make him successful. Most people predicted Torts & Laine would clash very soon.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Torts wants to get fired it seems like. He won't win this battle. Laine hasn't been great this game but it's mainly restricted to turning over the puck in the neutral zone. I don't think the goal against and the post against was his fault.

Anyways how long did it take for Laine to get benched in Winnipeg? I don't think he was ever benched in his first 2 seasons. As a matter of fact I can't recall Paul ever benching him although I am sure it happened sometime in the 3rd season.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Torts wants to get fired it seems like. He won't win this battle. Laine hasn't been great this game but it's mainly restricted to turning over the puck in the neutral zone. I don't think the goal against and the post against was his fault.

Anyways how long did it take for Laine to get benched in Winnipeg? I don't think he was ever benched in his first 2 seasons. As a matter of fact I can't recall Paul ever benching him although I am sure it happened something in the 3rd season.

I don't think Mo ever benched Laine once while he was here. He got demoted down lines, but never benched.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He seemed pretty nonchalant about it and you can see him blinking normally. I think it just caught him a little above the bridge of his nose and there's a few spots up there that just bleed a ton once the skin is broken.
Hopefully he's okay though, one of the newest bright spots for the Canucks.

Edit: Yep, I went looking for the clip but it happened about an hour ago and it was as I thought: just a superficial cut near the brow that bled like something exploded :laugh:

I was fastforwarding through the breaks and skipped when I saw the gush of blood. Good to hear it wasn't too bad. Yeah he's been great. He reminds me of Perreault in the pest like game his plays for a guy his size.

Reactions: None

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
CBJ GDT, some CBJ fans already starting to turn on Laine and some turning on Torts for holding Laine accountable. Should get colourful in CBJ very soon over the coming weeks between Laine & Torts.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Ehlers took the benchings on Laube’s behalf. That’s life when you’re playing Robin to the Caped Crusader.

Yep this is what I remember. I remember Ehlers being benched for that Little line being ass in certain games and I remember posting in the GDTs why Ehlers is benched but Laine is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad