Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
LA be like "all of the waiver wire are belong to us." They claim Sherbak and now Leipsic within 72 hour period. Always liked Leipsic. He's moved around quite a lot.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Within reason. I don't know if I've seen any sheer brilliance from either change that I'd value more than the feeling that they just finally had enough pieces in place that it worked. And truth be told, we don't really know how well it will work yet --- that's still TBD. It looks promising, but history doesn't tend to remember promising teams.

In Toronto's case, I almost can't help but feel that they are essentially the Oilers, only with the ability to cover glaring holes with free agency, or the ability to get a decent return on failed high picks. When you look at their drafting beyond the first, and to a lesser extent beyond the top 10, it's actually pretty abysmal.

The difference is that, while the Leafs holes are mostly at depth, they've been addressing them. The ability to draft well outside of the first doesn't really matter much if you do well with your 1st rounders. You can find depth players elsewhere. The key is just making sure you're proactively filling your depth according to a solid plan. So, yeah, the Leafs have done well in terms of bringing in guys like Marleau, Ennis, Zaitsev, Ozhiganov, and Hainsey via free agency, but they also identified the need for those players... something that the Oilers have failed to do. I don't think it's so much that I consider this "brilliant" or anything like that, but plenty of other rebuilds have failed to progress because they never successfully went after fixing those holes. They've also developed some players into legit NHLers, like Hyman, Brown and Johnsson. Probably most importantly of all of this, they identified the right goaltender to shore up that particular situation and were willing to trade something of value (a1st and a 2nd rounder) for him.

In the scheme of things, some of these are small moves, but they're all part of the equation.

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The difference is that, while the Leafs holes are mostly at depth, they've been addressing them. The ability to draft well outside of the first doesn't really matter much if you do well with your 1st rounders. You can find depth players elsewhere. The key is just making sure you're proactively filling your depth according to a solid plan. So, yeah, the Leafs have done well in terms of bringing in guys like Marleau, Ennis, Zaitsev, Ozhiganov, and Hainsey via free agency, but they also identified the need for those players... something that the Oilers have failed to do. I don't think it's so much that I consider this "brilliant" or anything like that, but plenty of other rebuilds have failed to progress because they never successfully went after fixing those holes. They've also developed some players into legit NHLers, like Hyman, Brown and Johnsson. Probably most importantly of all of this, they identified the right goaltender to shore up that particular situation and were willing to trade something of value (a1st and a 2nd rounder) for him.

In the scheme of things, some of these are small moves, but they're all part of the equation.

I tend to agree, though I think in this case there are two key differences which change things substantially:

1. Chia has made some really bad decisions...really bad.

2. Toronto has the market and the money to attract some of those guys via free agency. Edmonton, under the best of circumstances, is going to face more of an uphill battle.

You combine those two factors, and that's a substantial difference --- on top of the other issues we've discussed.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
21 year old highly regarded prospect already blown out cause he isn’t producing. It’s getting later and later earlier and earlier for prospects these days.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Wish I felt up to driving to Newark. 6 bucks for decent seats to watch a pretty good Lightning team. Man the Devils better start doing better otherwise they won't be able to give away tickets for free. lol

Reactions: TheTakedown

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Bettman says cap for next year should be around $83M.

A 5% escalator, if players want it, on top of that would mean just north of $87M.

Big increase.

Reactions: Tob

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I keep hearing the Jets and the Leafs brought up lately. It's time for a little context here.

The Jets have had 4 top-10 picks since 2011 --- including second overall. If we go back to Atlanta, they've had another 9 in their history --- including two first overall selections and two more second overall selections, a third overall selection, and a fourth overall selection. So that means, since 1999 they've had 13 top 10 picks to try and make something happen.

The Leafs, just signed a former first overall pick, and have had four top-10 picks since 2011 --- including a first overall, a fourth overall, and a fifth overall. They also had top-10 picks in 2009 and 2008.

So combined, they two teams have selected in the top-10, eight times since 2011. In the last 20 years, combined, they have called out 19 names in the top 10.

That's not some stroke of brilliance, that's sucking enough to eventually get it right. A bling squirrel eventually falling into some nuts.

That would be like this franchise playing awful until the 2027, or even 2038 and eventually stumbling into the present situation of either the Leafs or Jets. Not that anyone is advocating for going down that path, but we need a little perspective if we're going to bring up either of those teams in any capacity.
Can't...get....image....of.....bling....squirrel.....out.....of...head.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Bettman says cap for next year should be around $83M.

A 5% escalator, if players want it, on top of that would mean just north of $87M.

Big increase.

Doubt the players will use all 5%. If they want to curb escrow, they will use as little as possible. Even beyond that, if I were them, leading into the CBA negotiations I would leave the escalator alone.

Reactions: Irishguy42

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Late 80s early 90s were absolutely the best years for hockey. Basically the several years preceding the Devils ruining the game under Lemaire. The league has been chasing its tail trying to correct for that for like two decades now.
I agree tbh, more so with the first half of the 90's. Most of the games I've seen from the 80's were pretty sloppy, and 8 goals every night is just too many for me.

The sweetspot was 1990-1995, that transitional era between the high-scoring 80's and the DPE. It had the best balance of everything. The goaltending was improved but not to the clinical level it's at now; iconic stand-up style, but with awesome gear. And absolutely no other era is even close in terms of the jerseys. Look at 1992-93, almost every kit is a classic (Pittsburgh had to go and ruin it with the goddamn Pigeon):

0WIRNpA.png
SGZcOcg.png

I like how the NHL is now, but I still believe that this era was probably the best it will ever be, and just isn't something that can be replicated.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I agree tbh, more so with the first half of the 90's. Most of the games I've seen from the 80's were pretty sloppy, and 8 goals every night is just too many for me.

The sweetspot was 1990-1995, that transitional era between the high-scoring 80's and the DPE. It had the best balance of everything. The goaltending was improved but not to the clinical level it's at now; iconic stand-up style, but with awesome gear. And absolutely no other era is even close in terms of the jerseys. Look at 1992-93, almost every kit is a classic (Pittsburgh had to go and ruin it with the goddamn Pigeon):

0WIRNpA.png
SGZcOcg.png

I like how the NHL is now, but I still believe that this era was probably the best it will ever be, and just isn't something that can be replicated.
And the Rangers were a consistent top team. Didn't hurt.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

0WIRNpA.png
SGZcOcg.png

Hottake: I like those Pittsburgh Jerseys more than their current ones

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I know we like to rip on Sam for being old and Joe for rattling off cliches like “the Rangers are skating tonight”, but we really have it good.

I watched 10 minutes of the Devils-Lightning game now. Daneyko and Steve “the forehead” Cangiolosi referring to their players as Nico and Kyle like they know them - unprofessional. Lightning score on a nice redirected point shot from McDonagh and Daneyko sounds like he needs to be on suicide watch.

“When you’re playing well sometimes the luck is just on your side”.

Embarrassing listening to these idiots.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Too much credit is given to Lemaire and the Panthers for the DPE and not enough to Eric Lindros dominating and making teams think they had to ice multiple gigantic pylons to deal with him strength wise. Then the pylons beat up the small fun guys up front (they didn't really call penalties, just watch the games), so you needed bigger guys to deal with the pylons, down into a vicious spiral that led to Peter Worrell and Eric Cairns and Andrei Nazarov have 10x the career they should have.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know we like to rip on Sam for being old and Joe for rattling off cliches like “the Rangers are skating tonight”, but we really have it good.

I watched 10 minutes of the Devils-Lightning game now. Daneyko and Steve “the forehead” Cangiolosi referring to their players as Nico and Kyle like they know them - unprofessional. Lightning score on a nice redirected point shot from McDonagh and Daneyko sounds like he needs to be on suicide watch.

“When you’re playing well sometimes the luck is just on your side”.

Embarrassing listening to these idiots.
Cangialosi just calls them Nico and Kyle because there's not a single last name he's capable of pronouncing.

I'll never understand how the guy is a professional announcer. Can't talk, knows nothing, boring, and sounds like a cat getting chainsawed.

Reactions: TheTakedown

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Man the Devils look like garbage. Without superhero Taylor Hall they will be fighting for a top 7 draft pick. I know some feel we are a bottom 5 team. If Hall isn't playing out of his mind they are not much better than us.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Cangialosi just calls them Nico and Kyle because there's not a single last name he's capable of pronouncing.

I'll never understand how the guy is a professional announcer. Can't talk, knows nothing, boring, and sounds like a cat getting chainsawed.

Daneyko calls them by their first names as well. So do guys like Edwards, Pierre when he’s announcing PIT or WSH games, etc. It’s just biased.

Agreed on Cangiolosi though. Not sure how he has a job.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Daneyko calls them by their first names as well. So do players like Edwards, Pierre when he’s announcing PIT or WSH games, etc. It’s just biased.

Agreed on Cangiolosi though. Not sure how he has a job.
I agree, and I wish announcers wouldn't do that, unless we're talking about brothers (obviously) or the last name is just obnoxiously hard. (This is more common in soccer where guys are from 200 different countries)

That said, I can stomach Daneyko as an analyst.

Reactions: ColonialsHockey10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig