Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Man the Devils look like garbage. Without superhero Taylor Hall they will be fighting for a top 7 draft pick. I know some feel we are a bottom 5 team. If Hall isn't playing out of his mind they are not much better than us.

Last year was a facade, but they're still better than we are.

Look at the schedule they've had to play vs the one the Rangers have had. It's murderers row vs the lollipop guild.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Last year was a facade, but they're still better than we are.

Look at the schedule they've had to play vs the one the Rangers have had. It's murderers row vs the lollipop guild.
and they are getting trounced by those teams. They have already lost 8-3, 5-2 and 5-1 to the lightning. I sure hope they "feast" on "weaker" teams otherwise they are guaranteed a bottom 5 slot. Their goaltending is also on a very slippery slope.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Kreider can't be the player he should be in this NHL. He's the example of the evolved power forward. I love kreider and I accept who he is as a player. I'm just saying Messier and Kreider have a lot of similarities.

I mean, they're both...big?

I'm sorry, that's really the only one I'm seeing.

Big fast strong good shot and kreider is slowly becoming a leader.

If Kreider was an elite finisher, the conversation would be warranted. Mess had that devastating, hard, accurate wrist shot from the off-wing & was deadly on breakaways, where Kreids is simply avg at both. :(

Where Messier tends to be underrated is his skating. He was an elite power skater like Kreider is, although Mess had longer & more fluent strides. Unfortunately, their power & speed is where the comparisons end.

Lastly, I've never seen Kreids intimidate anyone on the ice. Although, I don't hold it against him; it's an element which has nearly vanished from this league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sticky Fingers

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Kreider's a good, if inconsistent, player.

That being said, he can't hold Messier's jockstrap - Messier was better at shooting, passing, leadership, snarl, face-offs, etc... It's not close.

Don't think of the 43 year old Messier. Think of the 30 year old Messier.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I like the concept of that, but shorten it to 3 years. 5 years is an eternity in today's game. The Rangers were Cup contenders 4 years ago.

Well, if you want to avoid tanking, you should base your lottery odds on the overall ranking the last 3 years, and exclude teams that had a top-3 pick in the last 3 years.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
the problem is that there is no way to hurt the teams that you think are tanking on purpose without also hurting the teams that are simply legitimately bad which is the point of having the reverse draft order so those bad teams can get better.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
the problem is that there is no way to hurt the teams that you think are tanking on purpose without also hurting the teams that are simply legitimately bad which is the point of having the reverse draft order so those bad teams can get better.

Then all they need to do is limit how many years you can consecutively pick in the top 5.

No team should get more than two, maybe three top 5 picks in 5 years--MAX.... If a team needs more than that, it is an indicator that management does not know what they are doing, and in those instances they should not be rewarded with MORE top picks...

In the real world, a business that does not produce profit (wins) goes out of business. Instead, the NHL has adopted the model of the bailout, where business that suck ass simply get more handouts

I'm not even saying that these guys should be bounced 10 picks back. They just shouldn't be able to pick in the top 5

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Two things, move the trade deadline back to the first weekend in January. Secondly the team with the best record in the bottom 5 from January on gets the first pick.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Two things, move the trade deadline back to the first weekend in January. Secondly the team with the best record in the bottom 5 from January on gets the first pick.

Absolutely not.

To me, everyone thinks about this wrong anyway. The team with the worst record over the course of the year should be entitled to 1OA, regardless of whether or not management tanked, simply because their fans had to suffer through that crap. They deserve the most consolation the league can give them. Again, that's just to me.

Reactions: ncmike and aufheben

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
2021-2022 official first season for Seattle.

It is the better start date for NYR expansion-wise than 2020.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Press conference beginning soon.

Hockeynightincanada @hockeynight

This is fantastic. Looks like 21-22, which in some ways is great for us (Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith will not require protection, if they're still here) and in other ways bad (more young players will require protection).

2021-2022 official first season for Seattle.

It is the better start date for NYR expansion-wise than 2020.

I'd say it's more mixed than better, which is the same as 2020.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
This is fantastic. Looks like 21-22, which in some ways is great for us (Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith will not require protection, if they're still here) and in other ways bad (more young players will require protection).
Both 2020 or 2021 had their own obstacles. Neither would have been "easy."

I think 2021 is the easier path since there are really no "forced" protection slots, as of this time. Obviously, the roster will be a bit different, but it's an easier path to build a list from. Cleaner slate.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Then all they need to do is limit how many years you can consecutively pick in the top 5.

No team should get more than two, maybe three top 5 picks in 5 years--MAX.... If a team needs more than that, it is an indicator that management does not know what they are doing, and in those instances they should not be rewarded with MORE top picks...

In the real world, a business that does not produce profit (wins) goes out of business. Instead, the NHL has adopted the model of the bailout, where business that suck ass simply get more handouts

I'm not even saying that these guys should be bounced 10 picks back. They just shouldn't be able to pick in the top 5

not disagreeing with your point i'm just not sure where the line is between making it 'fair' and lets rig the system so my team can finally get the top pick lol

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Both 2020 or 2021 had their own obstacles. Neither would have been "easy."

I think 2021 is the easier path since there are really no "forced" protection slots, as of this time. Obviously, the roster will be a bit different, but it's an easier path to build a list from. Cleaner slate.

Plus, they can account for it in their planning.

Neglected to mention that Lundqvist would've gotten one of the forced slots had it been 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad