Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Wasn't sure where to post this, but does anyone know exactly what that awesome arena song that's basically some custom version of Matthew McConaughey in Wolf of Wall Street is?

Especially where to get it...

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
It's slow, , players aren't nearly as good as they are these days, both in skating, playing and just overall physical readiness. Oh, and the camera quality is **** :laugh: . Sure, there's a ton of scoring, but it wasn't necessarily better. The nostalgic factor plays a large part in why people love 80s hockey.

It's the same with music. People always say music in the 70s was better, when it wasn't. You just remember the good stuff, while the horrible stuff sort of slips your mind.

Late 80s early 90s were absolutely the best years for hockey. Basically the several years preceding the Devils ruining the game under Lemaire. The league has been chasing its tail trying to correct for that for like two decades now.

Reactions: Miamipuck and jas

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Bad night for the tank teams. Wings lose. Hawks just plain ole suck. Even the canadiens lost. Hopefully Carolina/Kings is a three point game

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Interesting question; Rangers have stunk on the road this year and when I brought up that young teams often struggle on the road, my friends don't believe it's more than a cliche' (not Marc-Andre).

So my question is: Is there a website with easily accessible information for average team ages and road records for let's say the last 40 years? Thanks!

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
It was still an illegal high hit to the backside of a defenseless player. Had plenty of space to move.

Doesn't need to be a check to the head to be dirty/illegal

Come on, that's an open ice hit... The guy happened to turn his back to a checking player...

I know people hate Tom Wilson, but EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU would love to have him on this team. He's an incredibly skilled Sean Avery

Reactions: Richard Banger

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
take a pay cut? lol more like take a humongous raise for fair value. he scored 20 goals, 60 points twice. pastarnak had 2 30 goal, 70 point seasons and they want to pay nylander the same

It's not the same if the cap has gone up twice since then

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I keep hearing the Jets and the Leafs brought up lately. It's time for a little context here.

The Jets have had 4 top-10 picks since 2011 --- including second overall. If we go back to Atlanta, they've had another 9 in their history --- including two first overall selections and two more second overall selections, a third overall selection, and a fourth overall selection. So that means, since 1999 they've had 13 top 10 picks to try and make something happen.

The Leafs, just signed a former first overall pick, and have had four top-10 picks since 2011 --- including a first overall, a fourth overall, and a fifth overall. They also had top-10 picks in 2009 and 2008.

So combined, they two teams have selected in the top-10, eight times since 2011. In the last 20 years, combined, they have called out 19 names in the top 10.

That's not some stroke of brilliance, that's sucking enough to eventually get it right. A bling squirrel eventually falling into some nuts.

That would be like this franchise playing awful until the 2027, or even 2038 and eventually stumbling into the present situation of either the Leafs or Jets. Not that anyone is advocating for going down that path, but we need a little perspective if we're going to bring up either of those teams in any capacity.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
More goals =/= better hockey
More fights =/= better hockey
Buildings louder? How do you know? Again, I am coming back to the "nostalgic factor". You remember only the good moments and over time forget the bad ones. The dull games you hardly remember.
I know because I’ve been going to games since 1978

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I keep hearing the Jets and the Leafs brought up lately. It's time for a little context here.

The Jets have had 4 top-10 picks since 2011 --- including second overall. If we go back to Atlanta, they've had another 9 in their history --- including two first overall selections and two more second overall selections, a third overall selection, and a fourth overall selection. So that means, since 1999 they've had 13 top 10 picks to try and make something happen.

The Leafs, just signed a former first overall pick, and have had four top-10 picks since 2011 --- including a first overall, a fourth overall, and a fifth overall. They also had top-10 picks in 2009 and 2008.

So combined, they two teams have selected in the top-10, eight times since 2011. In the last 20 years, combined, they have called out 19 names in the top 10.

That's not some stroke of brilliance, that's sucking enough to eventually get it right. A bling squirrel eventually falling into some nuts.

That would be like this franchise playing awful until the 2027, or even 2038 and eventually stumbling into the present situation of either the Leafs or Jets. Not that anyone is advocating for going down that path, but we need a little perspective if we're going to bring up either of those teams in any capacity.

Preach.

Always bothered me when people brought up Toronto as the model. They were irrelevant for over a decade. They were actually trying in that time. They didn't' take a good team and strip it down to retool.

Not that there aren't lessons to be learned from all of these situations. But the full context is needed.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Preach.

Always bothered me when people brought up Toronto as the model. They were irrelevant for over a decade. They were actually trying in that time. They didn't' take a good team and strip it down to retool.

Not that there aren't lessons to be learned from all of these situations. But the full context is needed.

And don't get me wrong, if the Rangers pick top-5 or even top-10 this season, the expectations and pressure will increase. At that point we'd be looking at three top-10 picks in as many years, to go along with another 3-6 first round picks over the same time frame.

Though I would argue, that Toronto really didn't take that next step until they had that first overall pick. Nothing against picking 4th or 5th or 9th, but picking first changes the odds considerably when done right and when the timing coincides with the right draft.

But there's more factors at work than just the top-line takeaway we're seeing.

Reactions: jas

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
And don't get me wrong, if the Rangers pick top-5 or even top-10 this season, the expectations and pressure will increase. At that point we'd be looking at three top-10 picks in as many years, to go along with another 3-6 first round picks over the same time frame.

Though I would argue, that Toronto really didn't take that next step until they had that first overall pick. Nothing against picking 4th or 5th or 9th, but picking first changes the odds considerably when done right and when the timing coincides with the right draft.

But there's more factors at work than just the top-line takeaway we're seeing.

No disagreement with your overall point, but I would point out that both organizations saw a change in fortunes with a change in management.

Reactions: Off Sides

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
No disagreement with your overall point, but I would point out that both organizations saw a change in fortunes with a change in management.

Within reason. I don't know if I've seen any sheer brilliance from either change that I'd value more than the feeling that they just finally had enough pieces in place that it worked. And truth be told, we don't really know how well it will work yet --- that's still TBD. It looks promising, but history doesn't tend to remember promising teams.

In Toronto's case, I almost can't help but feel that they are essentially the Oilers, only with the ability to cover glaring holes with free agency, or the ability to get a decent return on failed high picks. When you look at their drafting beyond the first, and to a lesser extent beyond the top 10, it's actually pretty abysmal.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It's hardly a stretch considering Gorton was a key player in it, but I liken our rebuild to Boston's more than any other team. They recognized a change was needed, dealt away a few notable players, had a big 2006 draft, and then made some shrewd UFA signings to complete it.

I think after this season the focus will change from stockpiling assets to maneuvering with them.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Very fair point about the percentages.

It is, and I mostly agree with them, but the problem with that thinking is assumption of a rising cap, which, I'm not sure is very safe to do from a league standpoint.

For short contracts none of it matters though

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Preach.

LOL @ Toronto being a model rebuild. Anyone that hates the "mediocre middle" should never speak the words "Maple Leafs"... That team was mediocre middle for about 20 years

Reactions: Graves94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig