Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Anyone see this shit about despres? Guy wants to play and has 2 international seasons under his belt since that concussion in 2015...

Gorton come on, reclamation project!

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Will be interesting to see what the Oilers do if we manage to get over them on the weekend. Can't imagine they'll sit quietly for too long as they really need to have a good season

Reactions: egelband

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Suter just made a terrible pinch with his goalie pulled and let the guy with the puck fly past him only to get tackled by Granlund, who took a penalty. Then Suter scores 5 on 5 with his goalie pulled to tie it by jamming at a loose puck infront of the net, really went from zero to hero in no time there

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I bet Willy Nylander's camp is happy, he is holding out and the team is scoring five goals per game with his linemate Matthews scoring nine in five. Your bargaining position isn't getting stronger right now, bud.

Reactions: Inferno

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I bet Willy Nylander's camp is happy, he is holding out and the team is scoring five goals per game with his linemate Matthews scoring nine in five. Your bargaining position isn't getting stronger right now, bud.
I was iffy on Nylander's position until I read a post here or an article (I apologize for the mental lapse). There's a very, very good chance he gets traded for a defenseman. Toronto is going to be hammered with the M & M contracts, plus they need balance on the blue line. Shanahan is giving his rah rah speech about being a team player but the reality is Nylander and his team friendly contract are going to get flipped for a d man. Now he's stuck in Ottawa or Carolina with weird owners and early off seasons.

Nylander is gone one way or another. He at least #1 gets his pay day and #2 has a chance of dictating his destination because a trade will hinge on a new contract most likely.

Reactions: Off Sides

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I never liked players holding out for money.

Get your ass on the ice and earn your payday the same way most players do.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I never liked players holding out for money.

Get your ass on the ice and earn your payday the same way most players do.
I’m fine with it, especially with RFA’s because they can’t really do anything else. Why should the player (in this instance one that’s been said everywhere to be a core player) take less than what they’re worth so the team can pay their other core players more in a year?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I’m fine with it, especially with RFA’s because they can’t really do anything else. Why should the player (in this instance one that’s been said everywhere to be a core player) take less than what they’re worth so the team can pay their other core players more in a year?

Plus they dedicated 17.25M to Marleau and Tavares knowing this was going to become an issue. Had they saved like ~1M or so in cap space between the two signings that probably gives them enough leeway to get Nylander to budge.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

They should take less because they’re not in position to ask for more. Sign your bridge deal, or talk extension.

Nylander has been in the NHL for 2 seasons. I believe Dubas is trying to sign him for 6-7M, and Nylander wants 8+.

You’re fine with that...? Really....? Dubinsky did the same thing in 2009. Were you fine with that too?

Last edited:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
They should take less because they’re not in position to ask for more. Sign your bridge deal, or talk extension.

Nylander has been in the NHL for 2 seasons. I believe Dubas is trying to sign him for 6-7M, and Nylander wants 8+.

You’re fine with that...? Really....? Dubinsky did the same thing in 2009. Were you fine with that too?
Yeah, these guys have a limited time to make their money, the owners f*** them every CBA negotiation, why take less when they’re going to shell out 6 for a broken Marleau recently and then 8 and 12 for Matthews and Marner in less than a year?

I didn’t care when Dubinsky or Stepan did it, the only problem I had was when Dubinsky played like garbage right after until he got traded

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey

Personally I was fine with Dubinsky. His body is breaking down now and he has the rest of his life in a damaged body. Good for him.

William can sign a bridge deal for less, but the leafs will trade him before then to make a cup run. So at the end of the day he 'did the right thing' just to have Dubas and Shanahan return the favor with a sweet trade. William can watch his buddies lift the cup, sign $13m and $10m x 8 year deals, while he can justify his $5m bridge deal with loyalty.

The irony is the more team friendly the deal, the more likely Nylander is traded for that necessary D.

Reactions: Off Sides

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I generally do not have an issue with players trying to make their money but Nylander hasn't shown that he can be a $8M per year player yet, IMO. The Pastrnak deal is more than fair but $7M wouldn't be unreasonable.

Would be nice if we were a little further along in the rebuild and could make a move to bring him in. He's a heck of a player.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like Shanahan but Brendan forced the issue with teams (Hartford for one) when he was a player. He wasn't going to take less and when he didn't want to play somewhere he found an escape hatch. Now he wants his players to be loyal. Funny how things change.

Anyway Nylander signs for less and then gets dealt to whoever and then what? Then he's playing for less money maybe even than his market value and for a team he might not really want to be on.

To me it's the Leafs and Nylander's problem. Two sides to the story. If they can't work it out---too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce