Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Ugh, i hate hits like the one Matheson did on Elias soooo much… Elias undressed him completely and then he's mad because of that and just slams Elias head into the boards... Give him 10+ games, it's a pathetic hit driven by embarassment...

Reactions: Ail

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Ugh, i hate hits like the one Matheson did on Elias soooo much… Elias undressed him completely and then he's mad because of that and just slams Elias head into the boards... Give him 10+ games, it's a pathetic hit driven by embarassment...

What pisses me off more than the body slam to the ice are all of idiots defending it. If he had stopped at a clean hit, this is nothing play. I don't understand why people condone these talentless apes intentionally hurting the league's best players. It's so obvious what Matheson did here.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Saw video of that hit.

I'd throw the book at him. 15-20 games. But you just know that he will only get one or two games, if none at all because he's not a repeat offender.

Reactions: All Might

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I will sound like a broken record, but the most efficient way to eliminate crap like this is to make the punishments substantial.

None of this repeat offender nonsense. If you’re a repeat offender we start talking about even harsher penalties. Make it a liability for teams to carry certain players.

Eliminate the “gray areas” where we give the benefit of the doubt because of how fast the game is. If that means slowing the game down a little, and having players take their foot off the gas because it makes for a safer game, then so be it. That’s only going to benefit the skill players anyway.

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
League doesn't do enough to protect its star players. It's garbage.

Have you seen what protecting the star players has done to the NFL? That league is unwatchable at this point, it doesn't help that I'm a long suffering Jets fan.

And since when is a rookie considered a star player? Elias has accomplished nothing at the NHL level yet.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I will sound like a broken record, but the most efficient way to eliminate crap like this is to make the punishments substantial.

None of this repeat offender nonsense. If you’re a repeat offender we start talking about even harsher penalties. Make it a liability for teams to carry certain players.

Eliminate the “gray areas” where we give the benefit of the doubt because of how fast the game is. If that means slowing the game down a little, and having players take their foot off the gas because it makes for a safer game, then so be it. That’s only going to benefit the skill players anyway.

Exactly. Why is it a given that a guy will likely only get a few games if it's his first offense? It's a dumb system that does precious little to protect players from injury. The baseline for dangerous hockey that results in an injury should be something 10 games, not 1.

I read somewhere a suggestion I quite liked, though it likely isn't practical: A guy who is suspended can't be replaced on the roster. That way the team gets punished too... but instead the NHL does backflips trying to help out the Caps for employing a turd like Wilson.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
SJS player just got a delay of game penalty where he put it over the glass in the Devil's zone (from the Sharks' zone). That can't happen too often.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
SJS player just got a delay of game penalty where he put it over the glass in the Devil's zone (from the Sharks' zone). That can't happen too often.

I remember, about 10 years ago, Phaneuf clearing the puck once on the PK and it missed the glass and went into the netting behind the opponent's goal. It rarely happens but when it does, it always reminds me of this

Reactions: Nickmo82

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Have you seen what protecting the star players has done to the NFL? That league is unwatchable at this point, it doesn't help that I'm a long suffering Jets fan.

And since when is a rookie considered a star player? Elias has accomplished nothing at the NHL level yet.
No, enlighten me on the NFL - I haven't followed the league much since 2010.

Pettersson is well on his way to stardom. Rookie players can also be star players.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Head shots and concussions have to be looked at a lot more closely...it was sad watching the TV segment on Joe Murphy last night wandering around the streets of Kenora Ontario ranting/raving/ talking to himself....really sad .

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
One way to not have to even consider punishments for repeat offenders in the first place is to make the punishments for first time offenses so severe that no one ever even thinks about doing something wrong a second time. Throw the book at them the first time and hopefully the punishment is severe enough that they learn their lesson and never offend again. No more Matt Cookes and Tom Wilsons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad