Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I like Shanahan but Brendan forced the issue with teams (Hartford for one) when he was a player. He wasn't going to take less and when he didn't want to play somewhere he found an escape hatch. Now he wants his players to be loyal. Funny how things change.

Anyway Nylander signs for less and then gets dealt to whoever and then what? Then he's playing for less money maybe even than his market value and for a team he might not really want to be on.

To me it's the Leafs and Nylander's problem. Two sides to the story. If they can't work it out---too bad.
I feel like with these issues there tends to be too much of a spotlight on the player, but I think that’s been changing recently to realize there’s more than just one side st work here

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
What's up with the Devil's, Lightning and the Oilers playing but only ONE game, where as some have already played 4? I know balancing out a schedule is pretty damned difficult, but there shouldn't be this much discrepancy.

You have to believe these teams are chomping at the bit to play.......and is there any advantage to these teams getting extra "practice time" prior to playing these "catch up" games?
What’s up with no games today. How odd.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Winnipeg struggling early. Yes it's early and they have a great team but need a #2 C badly and will down the road or else they're going to have issues with Nashville, San Jose, Anaheim, etc.

Curious if they continue to struggle and Gorton can out patience Chevy Chevyldayoff for Hayes who would actually be perfect there. Roslovic and a 2nd? Lemieux and a first? What y'all think?

Vegas also playing a lot less like Vegas last year. Yes it's super early but imagine they actually play like an expansion squad and land Hughes or Kaako?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Winnipeg struggling early. Yes it's early and they have a great team but need a #2 C badly and will down the road or else they're going to have issues with Nashville, San Jose, Anaheim, etc.

Curious if they continue to struggle and Gorton can out patience Chevy Chevyldayoff for Hayes who would actually be perfect there. Roslovic and a 2nd? Lemieux and a first? What y'all think?

Vegas also playing a lot less like Vegas last year. Yes it's super early but imagine they actually play like an expansion squad and land Hughes or Kaako?

Don’t see WPG moving Roslovic, at least not for Hayes.

The challenge with some of the teams that appear to be a fit for Hayes is that they don’t necessarily have the prospects to deal, or don’t have the prospects to replace the young talent the Rangers would want in a trade.

That’s what made Tampa such an indeal trade partner. They had the assets the Rangers wanted, and they were in a position to move said assets. They could deal from a position of organizational depth.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I can't see it. It failed miserably twice. And as Rick Carpiniello joked about, the league actually had to realign divisions and playoff formats both times because of Atlanta leaving.

It only looks that way superficially, but when you read up on the whole story, it's far more complicated.

The last ownership of the Thrashers bought the team as part of a package with the arena and the NBA Hawks. They quickly soured on the Thrashers as, no joke, they came to the conclusion that the Thrashers were taking away too many white fans from the Hawks, which made the Hawks fanbase blacker. They essentially evicted their own team from the arena for that reason.

The first version of the team was done in by a really horrible arena and a huge offer, at the time, from oil barons in Calgary.

Both versions did have attendance problems, but nothing insurmountable with the right ownership, management and arena. Both versions were middling-to-bad the entire time they existed. The Lightning, Stars, Sharks, Predators, and Ducks are all testament to what happens in a non-traditional market when you have the right ownership, good management, and a good arena situation. The Thrashers, Hurricanes, Panthers, and Coyotes are all examples of what happens when you don't have those things.

I do think we're going to end up at 34 teams eventually. If the owner is there, Atlanta will be in the mix.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
It only looks that way superficially, but when you read up on the whole story, it's far more complicated.

The last ownership of the Thrashers bought the team as part of a package with the arena and the NBA Hawks. They quickly soured on the Thrashers as, no joke, they came to the conclusion that the Thrashers were taking away too many white fans from the Hawks, which made the Hawks fanbase blacker. They essentially evicted their own team from the arena for that reason.

The first version of the team was done in by a really horrible arena and a huge offer, at the time, from oil barons in Calgary.

Both versions did have attendance problems, but nothing insurmountable with the right ownership, management and arena. Both versions were middling-to-bad the entire time they existed. The Lightning, Stars, Sharks, Predators, and Ducks are all testament to what happens in a non-traditional market when you have the right ownership, good management, and a good arena situation. The Thrashers, Hurricanes, Panthers, and Coyotes are all examples of what happens when you don't have those things.

I do think we're going to end up at 34 teams eventually. If the owner is there, Atlanta will be in the mix.
The Braves have had trouble selling out playoff games over the years. What chance does hockey have?

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
And yet the United and Falcons do fine. Selective data isn't evidence of anything.
I'm not familiar with the United's situation but football is huge in the South so that means nothing. We see what happens but I will be shocked if hockey in Atlanta isn't a failure again.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Gary clings to his southern teams like a lifejacket in the middle of an ocean. The move to Winnipeg was announced shockingly late in the process. If the team was viable and an owner committed to the area existed, or would be born in the next decade, Bettman would have forced the group to sell local. There isn't a chance he let the Thrashers move without exhausting every option. I can't imagine an investor will step up and pay nearly $1bil for just the franchise fee with 2 failed attempts in the city's history.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Gary clings to his southern teams like a lifejacket in the middle of an ocean. The move to Winnipeg was announced shockingly late in the process. If the team was viable and an owner committed to the area existed, or would be born in the next decade, Bettman would have forced the group to sell local. There isn't a chance he let the Thrashers move without exhausting every option. I can't imagine an investor will step up and pay nearly $1bil for just the franchise fee with 2 failed attempts in the city's history.

The only arena in Atlanta was the one they were playing in. The ownership of the team basically evicted the their own team. That's why it was announced so late in the process. The league had absolutely no choice in the matter. Bettman did exhaust every option in the sense that he didn't have any options. He could've tried to force ASG (the owners of the Thrashers) to sell local, but without an arena to play in, it wouldn't have mattered. That's why the potential ownership groups that did exist at the time never came to anything (I remember one that included Tom Glavine). They dropped out when they discovered there was nowhere for the team to play.

I'm not familiar with the United's situation but football is huge in the South so that means nothing. We see what happens but I will be shocked if hockey in Atlanta isn't a failure again.

Baseball is huge in the south too. There's nothing fundamentally different about Atlanta than any other city as a sports market.

Last edited:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Atlanta might be a good place for the Islanders to relocate to. Quebec City even better when Bettman retires.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
As someone who lives in Atlanta and has seen thrashers games many many many times...this city fan absolutely support a hockey team. Heck our beer league in Atlanta is 10 divisions, about 70 teams, and like 1000 players. That's just the competitive league, there's also a beginners league, a recreational league, and a 35 plus league.

The issue was management more than anything else. The playoffs here were nuts. Super loud.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Sens up 4-1 over the Kings.
Apparently due to injuries etc, Phaneuf is the highest paid Sens D-man on the ice for the game, even though he now plays for the Kings. That's pretty damn funny!

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Carolina needs to relocate to Quebec City as well, Imo

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Carolina needs to relocate to Quebec City as well, Imo

Not gonna happen for at least 7 years, per the sale agreement to the new owner. Plus, we need to see where things go with him first. With the right ownership and a little on-ice success, there's no reason Raleigh can't be a good market.

The Islanders are the team that needs to move.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Holy shit this Dallas-Anaheim game is insane. Anaheim was winning 3-0 and Dallas scored 4 goals on 30, yes 30 shots in just the second period alone.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
And yet the United and Falcons do fine. Selective data isn't evidence of anything.
I actually cannot believe how well MLS is doing in Atlanta, a notoriously shitty sports town. I mean yeah they're a good team but still, never would have predicted this.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I actually cannot believe how well MLS is doing in Atlanta, a notoriously ****ty sports town. I mean yeah they're a good team but still, never would have predicted this.

To me, it’s proof that Atlanta isn’t a shitty sports town and their reputation is mostly the fault of shitty ownership who takes their fans for granted.

Reactions: TheTakedown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->