Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Still early days (and I've only seen3 of their games) but this Tampa team looks a like last years in that they are relying on the brilliance of individuals to win them games rather than cohesive, team-orientated play. Many of them really look almost disinterested at times.
They're lucky that they've got the talent to win a lot of games that way, but it will be interesting to see how they go come the playoffs, and what changes they look to make if they fall short of the cup finals again

Tampa’s never really had that team of destiny vibe to them.

They still look like a team built for the regular season.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
At this point does anyone else feel that Erik Karlsson just might have lost a ton of money by not accepting the deal in Ottawa? What's he currently worth? The way hes playing hes not a 10 mill player imo.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Erik Karlsson simply hasn’t looked comfortable on most nights. He’s still seeking his first goal to go along with six assists and a minus-8 rating, and in his last two games in Nashville on Tuesday and Carolina on Friday, Karlsson has made far too many errors that have led to goals or scoring chances against his new club.

His most glaring error against the Hurricanes came midway through regulation, when he fired a puck off of the end boards that was far too hot for Brenden Dillon to handle. The puck bounced out to the front of the net where Brock McGinn deposited it past Aaron Dell, bringing the Hurricanes back to within 3-2 on their way to a 4-3 shootout win at PNC Arena. But there were countless other moments where Karlsson was either misfiring on a pass, giving the puck away to the Hurricanes, or looking lost in the defensive zone.

While no one ever expected Karlsson to walk in seamlessly to his new team, his road trip so far has left many Sharks fans shaking their heads at the player that was supposed to make them a legitimate Stanley Cup contender. Karlsson was far from the only player that struggled in Carolina, as the Sharks were thoroughly outclassed for the final two periods after jumping out to a 2-0 first-period lead, but his performance was the most baffling.

While Erik Karlsson looks uncomfortable, Brent Burns has...

This is the player a good number of Rangers fans coveted.

The Ottawa fans will tell you Karlsson wasn't very good last season either.

Karlsson's best days are behind him. Way behind.

Karlsson looked awful against the Rangers giving up the puck numerous times.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Did anyone see Jim Devellano's statement about (paraphrasing) Detroit wanting to accelerate the rebuild process with an unusual course of action? Do you think he's referring to an offer sheet?

So impatient. They beat the odds for like two decades but the team was eventually going to need to rebuild. No team stays in contention forever. They lost a ton of talent over the years including Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Lost a very good coach too in Babcock. Must suck being at the bottom of the standings but I'd be hesitant to do something rash to "accelerate the rebuild" that I might end up regretting in the future. Offer sheet means losing picks if the other team doesn't match, right? Detroit is probably going to be bad for a while. Maybe Yzerman goes there and helps lead the rebuild.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
So impatient. They beat the odds for like two decades but the team was eventually going to need to rebuild. No team stays in contention forever. They lost a ton of talent over the years including Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Lost a very good coach too in Babcock. Must suck being at the bottom of the standings but I'd be hesitant to do something rash to "accelerate the rebuild" that I might end up regretting in the future. Offer sheet means losing picks if the other team doesn't match, right? Detroit is probably going to be bad for a while. Maybe Yzerman goes there and helps lead the rebuild.

Agree, hopefully this is not a homer view but the Rangers seems to be in a better spot so it’s puzzling that Detroit would benefit from any sort of gambling.

Also, if Yazerman is going to join Detroit, I’d figure they wouldn’t do anything like a significant offer sheet until then to make sure he’s on board.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Why is plus/minus still a thing? They came up with it like 60 years ago.

Because if you created a stat in sports before color television then it will be tattooed into the fabric of analysis.

Lot of dumb, super outdated stats in a few sports but we used them forever and therefore that makes them immune.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Philly is looking really bad. Ghostisbehre killing me in fantasy :ha:

And Hall-Hischier-Palmieri is low key one of the best lines in the NHL right now. Can't believe how hot Palms has been to start the season.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Philly is looking really bad. Ghostisbehre killing me in fantasy :ha:

And Hall-Hischier-Palmieri is low key one of the best lines in the NHL right now. Can't believe how hot Palms has been to start the season.

Same here. And I got wrecked picking Quick as one of my goalies. Feels bad man.

I think Hakstol is up there on the list of first coaches fired. Getting Palmieri from Anaheim was a shrewd move for NJ.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I’m interested to see how EK does this season.

My biggest fear with his signing is that we’d be paying him for the player he was, not the player he is and would be for us in the future.

Obviously, we have to account for a new team and a new system and other factors.

But I will freely admit that I still can’t shake that lingering doubt.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Karlsson's had a bunch of injuries. He was very arguably the best defenseman or better said most dangerous defenseman in the league for a few years but I'm afraid those days might be over. I'd be really leery of giving him a long term deal. How he does this season will say a lot.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Grabner 2 goals against a cup contender team in Tampa and short handed goal - 7-1 loss vs Arizon. Gorton should consider to move his conditional pick from Tampa at TDL, because Tampa don`t look like a solid Stanley cup contender this season and Stamkos still struggle with something. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad