Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Maybe the extend group of people you've mentioned got rings or maybe not. But at least they contributed in some way, no matter how small, to the winning. Stamkos literally did nothing to help Canada win the gold. They felt sorry for him so he got a ring.

I have a feeling that Stamkos being at the evaluation camp might have had a bigger impact than the media relations guys did.

Call me crazy but actually contributing to the winning of something should be the criteria for being awarded something like this. I mean it does suck he couldn't go but thats a story thats been told about tons of players/athletes in every sport for years. They missed out on winning something, like a medal at the Olympics, due to bad luck with an injury.

I see a vastly different set of criteria for a medal vs something like this that Hockey Canada hands out on their own.

It's the same as getting your name on the Cup vs getting a ring.

All sorts of people get rings and only a select few get a medal or their name on the Cup.

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
My friend was the Equipment Manager for Team Canada. He got a ring and a replica gold medal. I have seen them both in person.

I wasn't aware this was in question.

Maybe the extend group of people you've mentioned got rings or maybe not. But at least they contributed in some way, no matter how small, to the winning. Stamkos literally did nothing to help Canada win the gold. They felt sorry for him so he got a ring.

Call me crazy but actually contributing to the winning of something should be the criteria for being awarded something like this. I mean it does suck he couldn't go but thats a story thats been told about tons of players/athletes in every sport for years. They missed out on winning something, like a medal at the Olympics, due to bad luck with an injury.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Do they know how asinine that suspension sounds, he received two games for leaving the bench on a LEGAL line change to start a fight. That is how every fight starts, literally. :shakehead

He did change and go right after Jackman (and admitted it) so technically they can suspend him for it ... If it wasnt John Scott or any other "goon" this suspension doesn't happen.. That's what makes this so stupid.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
He did change and go right after Jackman (and admitted it) so technically they can suspend him for it ... If it wasnt John Scott or any other "goon" this suspension doesn't happen.. That's what makes this so stupid.

Oh I agree with you, I just can't see through the bias against Scott. He made a legal change during live play and headed straight towards Jackman, I so far see nothing wrong, if you want to suspend him then do it for jumping Jackman but in turn you have to suspend Jackman as well for jumping vlasic. I also don't get how Perry didn't get at least a fine. He purposely hit Niemi and then started just unloading on the Sharks dman when he was down.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
You have to think a lot of players in Stamkos' shoes wouldn't even accept the ring.

You would think.

I have a feeling that Stamkos being at the evaluation camp might have had a bigger impact than the media relations guys did.

I see a vastly different set of criteria for a medal vs something like this that Hockey Canada hands out on their own.

It's the same as getting your name on the Cup vs getting a ring.

All sorts of people get rings and only a select few get a medal or their name on the Cup.

You're trying to hard

Last edited:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Thornton actually did this to Weber when we blew them out in 2012.

...And didn't get suspended.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@coreypronman: The Parise-Granlund-Pominville line is worth a ticket alone. May be seeing Granlund emerge as a legit 1C

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Vanek goalless in seven games. What's more concerning is that he has only 13 SOG in 7 games, and has taken two or fewer in 6 of 7 games. To put that in perspective, he averaged over 3 SOG/game last season. I think a lot of teams will be happy that Vanek so badly wanted to go to Minny, because I bet there were some dumb offers being sent his way.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Looks like the Oilers might be better than we thought this year. Well on their way to a 4th straight win. I think the worst teams this year are Buffalo/Canes/Jets.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Looks like the Oilers might be better than we thought this year.

Credit to Mirtle who said that last week when they were in the throes of a slump to open the season. He looked beyond the record and saw that they had solid possession numbers, but were shooting a low percentage and getting awful goaltending. Those numbers started regressing to their mean, and now their winning because they're a pretty solid possession club.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Let's be rational.

The way he and Brodin made contact sucked. Kreider strong armed him, but that wasn't intent at all and I'm sure Kreider wasnt thinking to injure either. Plus, Brodin came right in on him.

lol

hRnM4YA.gif

let's give him the benefit of the doubt tho

S16Hitk.gif

Bps21*

Looks like the Oilers might be better than we thought this year. Well on their way to a 4th straight win. I think the worst teams this year are Buffalo/Canes/Jets.

If the Oilers are good then what will the false "buffalo's rebuild is like Edmonton and will fail" people say instead? Then that statement becomes doubly false.

Would be really funny if they skipped Pitt, Chicago, Tampa and Edmonton to be like...well...look at Florida! They aren't good yet and they picked high too! Because I bet Florida gets pretty good soon too.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If the Oilers are good then what will the false "buffalo's rebuild is like Edmonton and will fail" people say instead? Then that statement becomes doubly false.

Outsider's opinion, but Edmonton's achilles heel has been defense because they ended up drafting virtually all forwards with high picks in the rebuild, and until recently, weren't even able to acquire any current NHLrs (trade/UFA) on defense either (plus they had goaltending woes). Buffalo, IMO, has a good mix of D and O in the pipeline. Ristolainen, Zadarov, Myers, Pysyk, McCabe, etc... Even if a couple of those guys don't pan out to be what you hope they'll be, it's a good bet that 3 of them will. Add a vet or two (like Gorges) and you have the making of a solid D to go along with a good crop of young forwards.

Then you'll likely get 1 of McDavid or Eichel this year, but if for some fluke reason you don't, you still get to add Hanifin, which would make the D even more stout.

All in all, you have a great, balanced group of young players, which was not the case in Edmonton. On top of that, I suspect Buffalo will have better success at attracting free agents over time than Edmonton does. I have very little doubt the rebuild will be successful in Buffalo, even if it might take a few more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad