Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doom71

Aug 17, 2011
What is the cost of signing (draft pick loss) if the Sabres sign Hayes?
Is he worth the cost of the pick in a deep draft?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

There is none. Chicago gets a compensation pick but there's no corresponding pick loss for the signing team.

MattyB101

Mar 9, 2014
Rochester NY

It's my understanding that if Hayes doesn't sign with Chicago before midnight tonight, Hayes becomes a UFA and the LEAGUE compensates Chicago with the 54th pick.

So, if the Sabres were to sign him after midnight tonight, they wouldn't have to give anything to Chicago as their rights for him will have expired.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Sounds like Calgary and Florida are the prohibitive favorites to acquire Hayes. He has connections to those teams (college linemates and brother, respectively), and those teams, like Buffalo, can offer him playing time relatively early in his career.

Doom71

Aug 17, 2011
Thanks I thought the 2nd rounder was from the Sabres.
Any hope they sign him?
He sounds like a fit for what Murray is building here.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Clock ticking on Kevin Hayes' free agency decision: http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/08/15/kevin-hayes-chicago-blackhawks-free-agency-deadline-decision

In Calgary, Flames GM Brad Treliving is carefully toeing the line between proclaiming his team is in the running for Hayes and picking up a tampering fine. â€I've heard that natural assumption for a while,†Treliving said of the possibility of reuniting Hayes with his BC linemates Johnny Gaudreau and Bill Arnold in Calgary. “I see where people would make the connection. But at this point, we can’t talk about it.â€

And Calgary is not his only option. Mark Divver of the Providence Journal lists the Avalanche, Rangers, Bruins and Coyotes as the other clubs that are interested in adding the big winger.

ZeroPT*

Jakob Silfverberg re-signs in Anaheim for 1 year $850,500.

Incredible

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Jakob Silfverberg re-signs in Anaheim for 1 year $850,500.

Incredible

Why are you surprised? RFA with no arbitration rights, and didn't exactly tear up the league with 10 goals in 50ish games, so he signed his qualifying offer. He hasn't managed to stay healthy in 2 seasons so both sides took the safe route, he gets a one way deal and the chance to cash in more if he stays healthy and produces. Anaheim gets a cap friendly deal in hope that his production improves and then next off-seasoncthey revisit with a bridge or long-term deal.

ZeroPT*

Why are you surprised? RFA with no arbitration rights, and didn't exactly tear up the league with 10 goals in 50ish games, so he signed his qualifying offer. He hasn't managed to stay healthy in 2 seasons so both sides took the safe route, he gets a one way deal and the chance to cash in more if he stays healthy and produces. Anaheim gets a cap friendly deal in hope that his production improves and then next off-seasoncthey revisit with a bridge or long-term deal.

I'm surprised because I thought they'd sign him to a 3 year deal worth like 1.5 AAV.

That deal would've been good because He could break out and it would be an amazing contract and if it didn't work out 1.5 would be nothing. He's basically on an ELC.

I got caught off guard.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I'm surprised because I thought they'd sign him to a 3 year deal worth like 1.5 AAV.

That deal would've been good because He could break out and it would be an amazing contract and if it didn't work out 1.5 would be nothing. He's basically on an ELC.

I got caught off guard.

He's also in the awkward situation of being 24, so a 3 year deal would take him to UFA. I would imagine his agent wouldn't have pushed for a low dollar 3 year contract.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
If anything it suggests the NHL choosing to make their own equivalent. Potentially pay-access :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad