Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@reporterchris: Door isn't closed on an extension for Milan Michalek with #sens, but the winger is now looking elsewhere with interview window open.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@reporterchris: One final note on Ryan Malone buyout: Since the player had a NMC, he chose not to go on waivers before #TBLightning executed it.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@CraigCustance

Asking price on Evander Kane is high. Hard to win any deal when you're trading a 22-year-old capable of scoring 40 goals on a good team.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 3m

Veteran Dman Dan Boyle has generated significant interest already. Number of teams have called. Rangers among those interested

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

It sounds like there are Sharks players that want to see changes too, as some of them told Sharks GM Doug Wilson that the team was a group of “co-workers and not teammates,” per CSN Bay Area

Marleau said it’s something they’re looking at and acknowledged that you can get more out of a tight-knit team, but he also doesn’t “see it as a big thing.”

“Obviously, you want to have a close-knit team,” Marleau added. “I think there are certain things that we can do as an organization to make that happen, whether it’s going out and having a get-away together, and team bonding. Things like that.”

So why isn't every other player from Pavelski to Couture also the problem, since they're just sitting there not making the team more tight-knit? Just because they're younger? Seems like it's not a situation for blame so much as one that needs to be shaken up, unless that's all you're saying.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 3m

At least 6 teams expected to talk to Bolland's agent, Anton Thun during allowed talking period. Wants to stay with Leafs. Looks unlikely.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
So why isn't every other player from Pavelski to Couture also the problem, since they're just sitting there not making the team more tight-knit? Just because they're younger? Seems like it's not a situation for blame so much as one that needs to be shaken up, unless that's all you're saying.

you won't like my answer, but the younger core doesn't have the ability to change the culture with Alpha male, veteran, team captains Thornton and Marleau dominating the room.

yes, they need a shake up... but a big and specific shakeup that removes the guys who created the culture

unfortunately, NMCs will prevent it...

Of course Thornton and Marleau won't waive... even as the franchise tells them they don't want them, and blames them for team failures... they like the weather too much (and that's the culture they've created.... "we love working here")

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
That culture change should probably start with the guy who thought "hey, Brent Burns is totally what we need on the blueline after getting touched by the Sedins," but it won't.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
you won't like my answer, but the younger core doesn't have the ability to change the culture with Alpha male, veteran, team captains Thornton and Marleau dominating the room.

yes, they need a shake up... but a big and specific shakeup that removes the guys who created the culture

unfortunately, NMCs will prevent it...

Of course Thornton and Marleau won't waive... even as the franchise tells them they don't want them, and blames them for team failures... they like the weather too much (and that's the culture they've created.... "we love working here")

I'd say that as a general theory about locker room dynamics it may be ostensibly accurate, but there's just no way of knowing here. Pavelski and Couture have been in the league plenty long enough to step up if that's what needs to be done. If they're incapable of recognizing and doing that then it reflects negatively on their role in the situation any way you slice it. I get not rocking the boat, but if they're still afraid to rock the boat and piss off some aging All-Stars after all the disasters the Sharks have been through, then I don't see how they're not exactly like your portrayal of Thornton and Marleau.

As to the last paragraph, I'll also partially agree in theory, but it's shown to be thoroughly common for players on NTC's to be reluctant to leave when it's indicated that they're unwanted, which is, yanno, why the NTC's are desired in the first place.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m

I believe that Gaborik's 7-yr deal is worth around $4.9 M or $5 M a year. I am working to confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->