Around the NHL XXXVIII: Nope, still eliminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Yeah it's amusing to watch them think their cast-offs are going to land prime defenders. The Pouliot and Yakupov for Vatanen musings were a personal favorite of mine.

They seem to think that they are able to complete their rebuild by trading the cast offs for top players.

Eberle and Yak for McD ++++

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah it's amusing to watch them think their cast-offs are going to land prime defenders. The Pouliot and Yakupov for Vatanen musings were a personal favorite of mine.

They seem to think that they are able to complete their rebuild by trading the cast offs for top players.

Eberle and Yak for McD ++++
Why do they need McDonagh when they have Klefbom?

:sarcasm:

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
yeah lots of revisionist history with regards to that playoff run. people are acting like we curb stomped teams on our way to the finals.

First round I believe Steve Mason was playing with or recovering from a concussion...so we had emery in goal and he was terrible till Mason came back...Emery was terrible. It took a 2-1 game 7 win for us to beat the Flyers.

Second round we had the Penguins. We got crushed in games 2-4 getting shut out twice and falling down 3 games to 1. Henrik Lundqvist gave up 1 goal in each of the next 3 games to win the series for the Rangers. Again in 7 games. Henrik stopped 104 out of 107 shots in those final 3 games. Thats a .972 save percentage... Once again Henrik carrying this team on his back single handedly.

The Rangers then got the ECF and Carey Price was out after game 1. It still took the Rangers 6 games to beat a "Priceless" Canadiens...we saw how the Habs look w/o Price in net this season. They played their 3rd string goalie because of how terrible their backup was. That goalie was traded to the Ducks and is like their 4th or 5th goalie on their depth chart.

So much revisionist history. Yes that was the best Rangers team we've had in a looooong time. Yes, that was a joy to watch.

No that team did not stampede through the NHL playoffs and no that team would not dominate the teams that are playing now...in fact I don't see that team beating either of the 2 juggernauts in the east (Caps and Pens) and I don't see that team beating the Blues, Sharks, or Preds...it probably could beat the very injury depleted Dallas Stars.

If they did beat those teams, it would assuredly be a VERY close series.

Agreed.

Absolutely destroyed was an exaggeration on my part, but both the teams I watched last night are better than the 2014 Rangers.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think he'd be a good buy low option. I just can't help but laugh at the idea that he was going to fetch them a top-echelon defensemen.

I don't think Eberle alone gets Hamonic, but I also can't help feel that both guys are on opposite ends of the spectrum as to how they're viewed.

Eberle is, and continues to be, undervalued. He's been a consistent scorer since entering the league, despite what has been a bit of a trainwreck in Edmonton.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel Hamonic is overvalued. He's a very good defenseman, but not someone I'd put in the upper tier --- nor do I see him being on the cusp of being in the upper tier.

I don't think any deal would have been terribly far off with those guys are starting points. Though it certainly wasn't going to get done by throwing in a spare part either.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don't think Eberle alone gets Hamonic, but I also can't help feel that both guys are on opposite ends of the spectrum as to how they're viewed.

Eberle is, and continues to be, undervalued. He's been a consistent scorer since entering the league, despite what has been a bit of a trainwreck in Edmonton.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel Hamonic is overvalued. He's a very good defenseman, but not someone I'd put in the upper tier --- nor do I see him being on the cusp of being in the upper tier.

I don't think any deal would have been terribly far off with those guys are starting points. Though it certainly wasn't going to get done by throwing in a spare part either.

I'd take Eberle on this team every day and twice on Sunday. Hell, I'd love for that to be an offseason move if/when we decide to move on from Nash.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I think Hamonic is a guy who can be "the guy" on the 2nd pairing, or a good compliment on the top-pairing. The real enticing piece is he's a righty, and is signed on a very sweet deal for 4 more years. There's such a small pool of players who fit that criteria that he's inevitably going to be overvalued by teams.

I think Eberle has a good pedigree. I like that he has a reputation as a clutch player and that he's multi-faceted in his game in the sense he can finish and dish the puck equally well. However, I don't think he's worth a top-3 defender like Hamonic by himself, let a lone some of the names I've seen thrown around by Oilers fans.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Kessel with the snipe. Holtby wants that one back. Didn't get a good read on it through.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m sad - Russia will get two NHL players from Caps 17th of May :(

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Okay so who do we root for in the ECF? I think Pittsburgh is the better team at the moment, so I guess I go Tampa. Obviously hoping that the winner comes out of the West.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
BKO7sJ1CMAA02uB.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5