NHL Around the NHL XXVI - Bubble Hockey Continues IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I'd go beyond that and say best player, outright. People tend to focus on the forwards a lot with these kinds of conversations, but if there's a current player who does more on the ice and makes a greater impact for his team I'm not sure who it is.

I didn’t realize just how good he was until this year’s series. Straight up stud.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I really want to see that car commercial where that kid runs outside and then he remembers that feeling of freedom as an adult who drives a sports car.
It’s been like 5 minutes.

Reactions: UConn126

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Wont be much of a reaction. they already have his replacement in Demko.

I don't think the Canucks are going to want to be pinning all their hopes on Demko just yet. Yes he was amazing against Vegas, but prior to that he's looked nothing more than ok and a work in progress. There's every chance he matures into a genuine NHL starter, but that remains to be proven. They're in a slightly awkward position. I think ideally they'd want to re-sign Markstrom but not to a contract that makes him immovable in 1-2 years. So not a massive term and only a limited NTC.

The question for Markstrom is does he want to stay at a team with a youngster that will be pushing for a lot of game time and looking to take his lead spot, or would be prefer to be on a roster where he's the unchallenged #1? He's 30 and his stocks have never been higher, so this is his best and probably last opportunity to land a big contract that's north of $5 mil p.a. Some teams would definitely be interested in making him a competitive offer, and you'd have to include the Bruins amongst them if Rask walks away.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It would be a shame if the islanders lose this game . They’ve got a little something going the last couple of games . Tampa not looking as dangerous.

Fish sticks are taking it to them- the way the Bruins should have. It’s having an effect.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
right? I’ve thought the same thing. Maybe it is the Barry Trotz effect

It’s amazing . He’s noticeable in every game I’ve watched involving the Islanders these playoffs. I do think the Trotz system has a lot to do with it. In an offense first system like Toronto, he is not going to be much of an asset. But in a heavy, defense first system, he seems to really shine. He is far, far better with the puck than I realized.

Reactions: Dr Hook

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It would be a shame if the islanders lose this game . They’ve got a little something going the last couple of games . Tampa not looking as dangerous.

The Islanders are clearly lower on the skill spectrum than Tampa, but they do the work to win pretty much every game. They stick to their system and wear down/frustrate the other team. It often leads to less than enthralling games from a fan perspective, but you can’t fault the effectiveness.

It’s very late 90s/early 2000’s Devils-esque. Stick to the system, don’t take unnecessary risks, and play the long game.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
The Islanders are clearly lower on the skill spectrum than Tampa, but they do the work to win pretty much every game. They stick to their system and wear down/frustrate the other team. It often leads to less than enthralling games from a fan perspective, but you can’t fault the effectiveness.

It’s very late 90s/early 2000’s Devils-esque. Stick to the system, don’t take unnecessary risks, and play the long game.

That’s probably true but they’re way more fun for the viewer than the Devils

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
TB are such pukes. A total joke that matching penalties were not called on the delay of game. Killorn should have easily gotten an embellishment call for his theatrical head snap well after the stick was nowhere near the vicinity of his visor, and it appeared the stick never touched him to boot.

Isles may not have the talent level of TB, but they are playing fearless hockey. Trotz has them believing. Varlamov has been ridiculously great.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Definite penalty but man did Kucherov sell that, could easily have been an embellishment penalty. I didn't see blood at first, then all of a sudden Kucherov is bleeding and a double minor.
511Zeo8vcpL._SY450_.jpg

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Definite penalty but man did Kucherov sell that, could easily have been an embellishment penalty. I didn't see blood at first, then all of a sudden Kucherov is bleeding and a double minor.
It was total BS to give the double minor. Kucherov had a lot of time to keep pressing on his nose. There was zero cut. The guys on SN are having a good argument on whether it should be a double minor, or even a penalty at all based on how the play happened. They would have been fine if the ref swallowed his whistle on the play.

Reactions: gillesgilbert

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It was a high stick for sure. Got him in the face and then across the neck.

the flop was gross, and should’ve been called.

double minor was debatable. Looked like they waited an awful long time to change it from 2 to 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad