NHL Around the NHL XXI - UPDATE 7/1 - Toronto and Edmonton chosen as hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
"Listen, I'm fed up with the losing and I'm frustrated. It's not an easy pill to swallow right now," Eichel said on a conference call Thursday

Eichel: 'I'm fed up with the losing and I'm frustrated'

If there is a possibility that Eichel demands a trade, is there a realistic chance that he becomes a Bruin?

We wouldn't have the pieces even if we weren't a division rival. If he's this upset he'll probably take what he can get. The Sabres would probably rather pay him to pound sand than let him beat them up 6 times a year at a neighborhood discount price.

One can dream... If he really wants to play in Boston maybe when his contract is up. He shouldn't have taken such a big deal. I get that it's frustrating losing but it's tough timing for him.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
"Listen, I'm fed up with the losing and I'm frustrated. It's not an easy pill to swallow right now," Eichel said on a conference call Thursday

Eichel: 'I'm fed up with the losing and I'm frustrated'

If there is a possibility that Eichel demands a trade, is there a realistic chance that he becomes a Bruin?

As a player I'd be fine with him on the Bs, but he's priced himself out of that option for a long time. Besides what we'd have to give up in return, which would probably be too much, $10 mil p.a. is just too expensive. Maybe pre-covid you could stretch to it as a replacement for Krejci, but with the cap now highly likely to remain static for some time rather than increasing as had been anticipated, I can't see the Bruins being willing to shell that kind of cash for almost anybody.

Reactions: Strafer and BMC

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
As a player I'd be fine with him on the Bs, but he's priced himself out of that option for a long time. Besides what we'd have to give up in return, which would probably be too much, $10 mil p.a. is just too expensive. Maybe pre-covid you could stretch to it as a replacement for Krejci, but with the cap now highly likely to remain static for some time rather than increasing as had been anticipated, I can't see the Bruins being willing to shell that kind of cash for almost anybody.
With Krejci likely coming off the books after his contract expires and lots of dead cap going away over the next couple years they could absolutely afford Eichel and he'd be worth every penny given Bergeron's age and contract status. It woudl be a tight fit for a couple years but would pay off in the long-run I think.

And if covid doesn't go away and the economy doesn't bounce back over the next couple years then I think NHL teams will have bigger problems than fitting guys under the cap.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
With Krejci likely coming off the books after his contract expires and lots of dead cap going away over the next couple years they could absolutely afford Eichel and he'd be worth every penny given Bergeron's age and contract status. It woudl be a tight fit for a couple years but would pay off in the long-run I think.

And if covid doesn't go away and the economy doesn't bounce back over the next couple years then I think NHL teams will have bigger problems than fitting guys under the cap.

I don't believe that any single player should be paid an eight-figure sum under the current cap. I would maybe make an exception for McDavid, but that's it. My take is that whatever contribution that one guy brings to the team will very rarely outweigh the resulting loss in quality down the roster due to having too much coin tied up in 1 or 2 stars. Look at the Cup winners in the last 6 years at least - unless I've missed something, not a single one has had a player on a $10+ mil p.a. cap hit. I'm convinced playing those sort of sums are a bad investment in the vast majority of cases.

And there's no need to overstate the 'covid effect' in this area. All I'm saying is that the cap was projected to increase, but in a tougher economic climate it now probably won't for some time, and GMs are going to need to plan accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
the more I think about this the more it's just a cash grab for the league/advertisers. The Bruins have 14 regulation loses in 70 games, yet have to play in a "tournament" to win back their rightful position, on neutral ice, for the right to play a possible 5 game series, on possible Toronto home ice. It's not inconceivable that this team could play a grand total of 2 play-off games after their fantastic season,

It's utter garbage.

3 exhibition games

All rounds of the actual playoffs, as opposed to the 'play-ins', will be best-of 7. So the Bruins will play a first round 7-game series as per normal. Yes they lose home ice advantage but they will still get more last changes as the higher-seeded team in that round, which is about as much as can be expected at the moment.

As for the seeding round robin, I agree it's not really fair for the Bs. However I have two considerations to raise - firstly that exhibition games are no substitute for meaningful hockey, so how do you give the top 4 teams useful, close to full-tilt game-time unless there's something at stake? And secondly, any ties in points in the round robin table will go the way of the Bruins as the top team in the east, which is actually of some value in a tournament with only 3 games each.

The system isn't perfect, no doubt about that, but I actually think the league has done a decent job with the planned format, at least on paper. Implementing and pulling it all off safely and effectively in practice is of course another matter entirely.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Eichel is 23 years old and is only getting better. He’s worth the money and the
The Bruins top 2 centers aren’t young and have plenty of miles on them.

What are you offering? It's going to be Pasta + , a big center,young , productive center is the #1 commodity in the NHL

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Jack going anywhere is likely not going to happen unless and until he is a year away from being a UFA

Given that Pasta is a non-starter the Sabres would probably want a package of young proven players. Just to spitball- something along the lines of Studnicka-DeBrusk- Lauzon plus a first

Assuming the Sabres were even willing to chat- would you do it?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I would fist fight Don Sweeney in the streets if he traded Pasta for Eichel straight up let alone added to it.

Pastrnak is a top 10 player in the league right now.

Give me Pasta and his infectious personality and attitude over Jack Eichel's constant whining to the media about Buffalo's lack of success. This isn't the first time Eichel has complained to the media about the situation in Buffalo.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Jack going anywhere is likely not going to happen unless and until he is a year away from being a UFA

Given that Pasta is a non-starter the Sabres would probably want a package of young proven players. Just to spitball- something along the lines of Studnicka-DeBrusk- Lauzon plus a first

Assuming the Sabres were even willing to chat- would you do it?

I like all those guys, but Yes I’d do that.

no way I’m trading Pastrnak thought...

Reactions: bbfan419

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Give me Pasta and his infectious personality and attitude over Jack Eichel's constant whining to the media about Buffalo's lack of success. This isn't the first time Eichel has complained to the media about the situation in Buffalo.

I can't recall where I saw it but I do remember reading there was a rumor going around that Eichel played a part in Ted Nolan's firing. If he did I don't want him within 1000 miles of the Bruins. Not that I'm a particular fan of Nolan I just don't like people who knife other people in the back.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
I like all those guys, but Yes I’d do that.

no way I’m trading Pastrnak thought...

I like all three as well...I tried to spitball a package that wasn't the usual left over parts for a star scenario

I know a person who coached Jack as a youth ....he is intense and quiet which doesn't always translate well with the media .....Pasta is a natural in front of the camera

Having both on the same line would be mind boggling- probably never will happen but it makes for good discussion

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I can't recall where I saw it but I do remember reading there was a rumor going around that Eichel played a part in Ted Nolan's firing. If he did I don't want him within 1000 miles of the Bruins. Not that I'm a particular fan of Nolan I just don't like people who knife other people in the back.

Nolan was fired before Eichel was drafted

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I like all three as well...I tried to spitball a package that wasn't the usual left over parts for a star scenario

I know a person who coached Jack as a youth ....he is intense and quiet which doesn't always translate well with the media .....Pasta is a natural in front of the camera

Having both on the same line would be mind boggling- probably never will happen but it makes for good discussion

you’re right on about Jack and his personality.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Hard to believe he's on his 4th coach in 5 seasons. Or maybe it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad