NHL Around the NHL XI - Hall traded to Coyotes by Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
:laugh:
“This ****ing language is totally inappropriate for a ****ing locker room! Shut this **** off! N***** n***** n****** n*****!”

I guess he has a point!

That is a fair summary of a sub-genre of rap. If that was indeed being played, he could have been mimicking what he was hearing. Context (which we don’t have) is key here.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
That is a fair summary of a sub-genre of rap. If that was indeed being played, he could have been mimicking what he was hearing. Context (which we don’t have) is key here.
Not even that context makes it any better. It's been drilled into white people since the 60s that you can't say that word. I don't care if "Chris Rock said it was okay in that standup...", you're a public figure, just don't. Ever. In any context.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
True, the fact that the Flames suck makes it easier. It's not like they're losing Gerard Gallant over this.

If corporate sponsors decide they want to pull their ads and cancel their season tickets, the Flames have to act.

But man, imagine if social media existed during the height of Mike Keenan's career...

Absolutely! Hell we all hated Keenan without social media he was that bad

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

That is what I was assuming happened when I posted. I understand that wouldn't make it ok, just maybe a little more understandable if it were a one time thing.

I'm curious if he used slurs at other times, but it really doesn't matter with the physical abuse now being reported.

He should be fired..

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
True, the fact that the Flames suck makes it easier. It's not like they're losing Gerard Gallant over this.

If corporate sponsors decide they want to pull their ads and cancel their season tickets, the Flames have to act.

But man, imagine if social media existed during the height of Mike Keenan's career...

Funny you should mention that name.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Fine, then the player who put the song on should also be hung out to dry. Whoever he is, he should lose his job for playing that type of music in a professional setting.

No, you sit him down and talk to him one adult to another.

You dont handle it like Peters did. That was a very bad way to handle it, with physical assault being the only worse thing he could have done.

Reactions: Chief Nine

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Two things about this story which is without a doubt 100% true: How many similar stories have been covered up by the hockey media and the frauds who write nothing but fluff from their GM buddies ? How come zero current NHL player has corroborated any of these allegations ?
I'm going to guess a lot... This is gonna get pretty bad. John vanbiesbrouck was fired for the intial incident of calling 19-year-old Trevor Daley the n-word on multiple occasions, but he's now the assistant executive director of USA hockey, and had a pretty good amount of support for the hire from the community.

I'm sure players are concerned about losing current career stability & post-career opportunities. If this runs deep in the higher-ups of hockey, how many guys are gonna stand up and lose future careers calling out someone? Hockey has been pretty clear about how they feel about guys stepping out of line, its not going to be kind to them.

Kudos to Akim, Michal and anyone else taking a stand. Brave stuff.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Fine, then the player who put the song on should also be hung out to dry. Whoever he is, he should lose his job for playing that type of music in a professional setting.
What? Its music, I can see if you don't like it then tell the kid in a good way to turn it off. No need for racial slurs.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
If you're trying to make Aliu the bad guy in this situation, I give up.
I’m not trying to make anyone the bad guy. I am saying what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Somebody played inappropriate music. Somebody used an inappropriate word from the inappropriate music to describe the music.

Two wrongs, no rights. If one gets brow-beaten, they both do.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I’m not trying to make anyone the bad guy. I am saying what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Somebody played inappropriate music. Somebody used an inappropriate word from the inappropriate music to describe the music.

One is significantly worse than the other

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario

Wow we are talking about a 20 year old kid playing Rap music and he deserves to be called the N word. Get out of here man.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

No way. No how equal.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Wow. In this day and age to not see the difference is just choosing to be ignorant at this point.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I'm going to guess a lot... This is gonna get pretty bad. John vanbiesbrouck was fired for the intial incident of calling 19-year-old Trevor Daley the n-word on multiple occasions, but he's now the assistant executive director of USA hockey, and had a pretty good amount of support for the hire from the community.

I'm sure players are concerned about losing current career stability & post-career opportunities. If this runs deep in the higher-ups of hockey, how many guys are gonna stand up and lose future careers calling out someone? Hockey has been pretty clear about how they feel about guys stepping out of line, its not going to be kind to them.

Kudos to Akim, Michal and anyone else taking a stand. Brave stuff.

Devil's advocate: It took 10 years for Akim to speak up. How brave is it, really?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Are you f***ing serious?

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

There is a massive difference between a word being said in a song and then using a word in a derogatory way like Peters did.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm really happy this is sparking something, almost like a movement in a way. I know a lot of people get on something like the #metoo movement because it just became an abuse of power for false allegations in a lot of cases, but if they're legit and can be backed up like the Aliu one, bring it on. There's a lot of really f***ed up things about hockey culture that isn't OK and just gets brushed under the rug.

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad