NHL Around the NHL XI - Hall traded to Coyotes by Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
From Carolina

Yup, I figured this would open the floodgates.

hold-onto-your-butts.gif

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
My 30 second conversation with @LSCII:

ME: I could tell stories about coach **** ****** that would make Peters' alleged comments seem tame by comparison. But I am of the opinion that if the player(s) don't officially complain, then there is no story to be told. I'm probably wrong but whatever....
There are many reasons that a young kid would keep quiet. First, he may be cut, lose his dream, Second, the culture of the locker room is a problem, you don't want to be that guy who "rats" on his coach.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I never said it was acceptable for him to use that language, was just was trying to rationalize why he flipped out like that based on THE ONE TWEET I READ.

Dude, that ONE TWEET was riddled with virulent racial slurs, not to mention being homophobic, and your only comment was "It sounds like Peters had a problem with the choice of music and language being played in the locker room."

Can you not see why people are puzzled by your post?

Reactions: lopey

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Two things about this story which is without a doubt 100% true: How many similar stories have been covered up by the hockey media and the frauds who write nothing but fluff from their GM buddies ? How come zero current NHL player has corroborated any of these allegations ?

Reactions: Saxon Eric

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
There are many reasons that a young kid would keep quiet. First, he may be cut, lose his dream, Second, the culture of the locker room is a problem, you don't want to be that guy who "rats" on his coach.

Actually, it looks like he was cut, and sent down to the ECHL.

Reactions: LSCII

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Two things about this story which is without a doubt 100% true: How many similar stories have been covered up by the hockey media and the frauds who write nothing but fluff from their GM buddies ? How come zero current NHL player has corroborated any of these allegations ?
At this point we do not know if any have or have not. Hopefully the investigation brings out the truth...

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Looks like it has been corroborated by a current player

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Dude, that ONE TWEET was riddled with virulent racial slurs, not to mention being homophobic, and your only comment was "It sounds like Peters had a problem with the choice of music and language being played in the locker room."

Can you not see why people are puzzled by your post?

Yes, I can.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
From what we're now seeing, it begs the question in addition to the ones that others here have raised;

If, and this is a big if, people weren't aware of the racial crap, how does a guy get hired as an NHL coach when he's also allegedly physically harmed his players??? We don't have to be "hockey insiders" to know how tight the pro hockey universe is.

There's a lot more to this story that needs to be told and it might be uglier than it already is

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Agree with @Chief Nine that this is the literal tip of the iceberg for Peters. I fully expect a lot more stories like Aliu's to start coming out now. Stupid people doing stupid things.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
On one hand, for a man's job to be at stake over an unprovable accusation via hearsay from ten years ago seems harsh

On the other, why would Aliu make it up?

Everything else coming out from former players makes Peters seem like a jerk and a tyrant, but it's up to the Flames and their own lockerrooom as to whether they can keep him or want to cut ties.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Agree with @Chief Nine that this is the literal tip of the iceberg for Peters. I fully expect a lot more stories like Aliu's to start coming out now. Stupid people doing stupid things.

What bothers me is how many people in the game (never mind the league) were and are aware that allegedly he did this stuff? Does "He's a great hockey coach" override "He's a massively horrible human being"?

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
On one hand, for a man's job to be at stake over an unprovable accusation via hearsay from ten years ago seems harsh

Everything else coming out from former players makes Peters seem like a jerk and a tyrant, but it's up to the Flames and their own lockerrooom as to whether they can keep him or want to cut ties.

Either way, he's likely finished. The Flames aren't in any position to try and ride this out

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

It's not hearsay when you are the person who witnessed the incident (not to mention you are the victim). Hearsay is when you are repeating what someone else said about it. Also, two former players who witnessed the incident backed up Aliu's story.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

Peters cannot stay. The Flames would be pariahs if they stood by him in any capacity.
More stories are coming out and it's just getting worse and worse. The fact that the accusations have corroborating witnesses that are being talked to kinda makes this an easy choice. I think for legalities sake the FLames will complete their internal investigation and then consult with the NHL on what to do and how to do this so it produces as little damage to the sport as possible.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Either way, he's likely finished. The Flames aren't in any position to try and ride this out
True, the fact that the Flames suck makes it easier. It's not like they're losing Gerard Gallant over this.

If corporate sponsors decide they want to pull their ads and cancel their season tickets, the Flames have to act.

But man, imagine if social media existed during the height of Mike Keenan's career...

Reactions: Chief Nine

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
What bothers me is how many people in the game (never mind the league) were and are aware that allegedly he did this stuff? Does "He's a great hockey coach" override "He's a massively horrible human being"?
This is the million dollar question.

Reactions: Chief Nine

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
This is the million dollar question.
There's a very fine line on a spectrum where the accolades brought in from success outweigh the PR headaches caused. Obviously racial slurs blow that up and now that witnesses are corroborating the story, there's no saving him.

But Scotty Bowman was a strict, strict coach but is beloved for success. Mike Keenan was right on that line where he kept getting jobs despite numerous stories of complete psychological torture. But again, calling someone an n-word is way beyond bag skating your players on Christmas.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
There's a very fine line on a spectrum where the accolades brought in from success outweigh the PR headaches caused. Obviously racial slurs blow that up and now that witnesses are corroborating the story, there's no saving him.

But Scotty Bowman was a strict, strict coach but is beloved for success. Mike Keenan was right on that line where he kept getting jobs despite numerous stories of complete psychological torture. But again, calling someone an n-word is way beyond bag skating your players on Christmas.

I know the words will get all the headlines, but it also appears he assaulted multiple players..

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I know the words will get all the headlines, but it also appears he assaulted multiple players..
Looks like at least one is still playing on Carolina.

I really hope there is some type of support set up for all impacted by these events and others that are not public knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad