Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Timeout.

For this specific topic this will be the rule as stipulated by a Site Admin and can be found in post # 1 on the main board:

This is how we're going to do it. These are the rules: You can discuss this specific incident (while staying in good taste). If you generalize this incident IN ANY FASHION, or otherwise try to move this topic somewhere else, it will be dealt with.

Zero tolerance policy, capiche?

Proceed.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Calgary Flames general manager Brad Treliving announced Tuesday that coach Bill Peters has not been fired, citing an ongoing investigation into whether Peters directed racial slurs toward a former player.

Treliving cited the "serious nature" of the investigation, saying that the Flames "take it with extreme seriousness."

Sportsnet reported earlier Tuesday that the Flames had fired Peters, but Treliving told reporters he "has not been relieved of his duties; we are continuing this ongoing investigation right now."

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
He probably didn't say anything 10 years ago because he was still trying to make it in the league, and getting your coach fired is an easy way to ruin your career.

In fact, It looks like the teammates said something to the coach about it at the time. His response was to send the guy down to the ECHL. Basically saying to the team that if your going to complain about the coach, you're going to get sent down.

I dunno man. I see what you are saying, but....All I have to do is sit down with the GM and inform him about the incident while asking to be kept anonymous. The GM HAS to look into that, if not its all on the GM. What are the other incidents? This cannot be a one-off. Anyone else who played or worked with Peters have anything to say? They probably are and its to the NHL atm to keep the firestorm down so as not to get backlash. But if the hockey culture is so bad that this is not only allowed by organizations but by the players themselves, then its a MAJOR problem with the sport that has to be squashed now.

I think there will be a lot more than Alim's view on this coming out over the next few weeks. There is no way this was one coach and one player one time given what came out of Peters mouth.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
It sounds like Peters had a problem with the choice of music and language being played in the locker room. The way I read the tweet anyway.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
This is bad stuff. My brother skated Junior back in the day, and one of the best players on the team was African-American. His coach not only didn't care about race, anyone on the other team who dared use a slur had to answer for it with his fists. This was during the worst years of the Busing Crisis, in "racist" Boston. Makes me sad to think this happened 30 years later.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
It sounds like Peters had a problem with the choice of music and language being played in the locker room. The way I read the tweet anyway.
:laugh:
“This f***ing language is totally inappropriate for a f***ing locker room! Shut this shit off! N***** n***** n****** n*****!”

I guess he has a point!

Reactions: Jim and lopey

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I'm just going by the tweet that was posted in the thread, been busy today - haven't been on top of this story...

He dropped the n-word. Twice. (actually, three times). Not to mention a good dose of homophobia.

Reactions: lopey

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I don’t care if it was 10 years ago. If that’s what happened I’m glad it’s out there and Peters will have to answer to it. Completely unacceptable.

Babcock’s story is ****ed up as well. I’m completely ok with these stories hitting the media.
My issue with the Babcock stuff coming out is that I'm not sure the players who are absolutely unloading on him are interested in fixing the issues (bullying, retaliation ect) that are still occurring across the league. It just seems like some guys are doing it as some sort of revenge.

By all means expose him but after you do that, will you help fix it so no other players are subjected to what Marner and others dealt with?

I hope this makes sense.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
If you’re stupid enough to talk that way in a professional setting, in this decade, you deserve to be fired.

Find a witness or two, if he did in fact say those things fire him and move on to the next coach. He’s on the hot seat anyway.

Reactions: hrdpuk and HustleB

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I never said it was acceptable for him to use that language, was just was trying to rationalize why he flipped out like that based on THE ONE TWEET I READ.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
My issue with the Babcock stuff coming out is that I'm not sure the players who are absolutely unloading on him are interested in fixing the issues (bullying, retaliation ect) that are still occurring across the league. It just seems like some guys are doing it as some sort of revenge.

By all means expose him but after you do that, will you help fix it so no other players are subjected to what Marner and others dealt with?

I hope this makes sense.

If it was borderline stuff I’d worry about the motivation. Neither of these stories are minor to me. This stuff is beyond a culture of respecting your coach. Even just telling the story is doing something to help with the problem. The lack of action within organizations in dealing with this stuff is disturbing and worth talking about. And if nothing else the people involved deserve to have to answer to it, period.

Reactions: hrdpuk

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
My 30 second conversation with @LSCII:

ME: I could tell stories about coach **** ****** that would make Peters' alleged comments seem tame by comparison. But I am of the opinion that if the player(s) don't officially complain, then there is no story to be told. I'm probably wrong but whatever....

Reactions: BNHL and LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->