NHL Around the NHL VII - Blues sign head coach Craig Berube to three-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
He only scored 20 goals 5 times in his caree in an era of high scoring hockey. Him making the HOF is a joke, sure he was a great defensive forward, but you need to balance that with at least a decent offensive game, that he didn't do.

this, he's PJ Axelsson with better defense

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
If your definition of a HoF hockey player is numbers. Then tell me which numbers are required.

Saying a great hockey player must have x game, x goals, x pts per is equal to saying "To be a good human being you have to be earning x per year"

Very shallow thinking, IMO.

I remember when Guy was playing. Every year he was a factor on whatever team he was on. Leadership, shut down the leagues top lines, consistant.

Sort of like a certain player on Boston we want to get another Selke.
If Bergeron only gets 18 next year but is a +40 and a defensive beast. Does that make him not worthy of a Selke consideration?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I'm no fan of Guy Carbonneau because he may be the biggest douche bag in the history of the NHL. The very definition of a filthy Hab, and the fact he wasn't dirty enough to make Ulf/Claude status makes me hate him even more. He was even mediocre at being hate-able.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
If your definition of a HoF hockey player is numbers. Then tell me which numbers are required.

Saying a great hockey player must have x game, x goals, x pts per is equal to saying "To be a good human being you have to be earning x per year"

I remember when Guy was playing. Every year he was a factor on whatever team he was on. Leadership, shut down the leagues top lines, consistant.

If Bergeron only gets 18 next year but is a +40 and a defensive beast. Does that make him not worthy of a Selke consideration?

Bergeron's numbers are far superior to Carbonneau's, all while playing in a far more defensive structured era and he was every bit as good defensively. Carbonneau was no more then a support player for his 3 cups, he was far from the key ingredient. It's a joke that guys like him are in yet far superior players like Middleton, Dave Taylor and Steve Larmer aren't in.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Carbonneau's career highs, despite playing in the 80s are 26 goals and 56 points and was a career 0.51 ppg

Bergeron currently has 170 more career points in 300 fewer games while playing in a significantly lower scoring era and has a career 0.79 ppg

No comparison

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

This is just a gigantic strawman analogy. If you think of it that way, of course people’s thinking seems shallow. But even if you disagree with it, I don’t think there’s anything particularly objectionable about someone setting statistical standards for what they think is HOF worthy.

I am in sales. I am not nearly a top performer within my company. But I am generally easy to work with and do what I need to do to make a decent living. I also give the company a good name since I am probably the least “pushy” salesperson a lot of folks have come across. I help other employees out as often as possible.

That’s all great, but it’d be crazy for me to expect some sort of recognition as a great salesperson. At the end of the day, some things are simply about individual performance and visible contribution on paper. I’m not saying hard lines should be set for who makes it and who doesn’t, but the more subjectivity that gets introduced into something like the HOF induction process...you’ll soon find that there are suddenly a lot of past players seemingly missing.

Maybe that’s not a perfect analogy, but I think it’s quite a bit closer than yours.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I guess this just comes down to world-view.

Some of the most successful and lauded people I know personally are also some of the worst humans beings I've met.

Inversely, SOme of the pluggers in crap jobs who are living paycheck to paycheck are some of the best human beings I know. They make significant contributions to the lives of people around them and are IMO worthy of the accolaids that the previously mentioned people get.

Because of that, I firmly believe a HoF player can be someone without eye poping numbers. There is more to a hockey player than stats, human beings are more than numbers. Contributing to the lives of the players around you via leadership or just being there for players in need is laudable. If you make a career out of that then yes, I do believe your peers so recognize that.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I guess this just comes down to world-view.

Some of the most successful and lauded people I know personally are also some of the worst humans beings I've met.

Inversely, SOme of the pluggers in crap jobs who are living paycheck to paycheck are some of the best human beings I know. They make significant contributions to the lives of people around them and are IMO worthy of the accolaids that the previously mentioned people get.

Because of that, I firmly believe a HoF player can be someone without eye poping numbers. There is more to a hockey player than stats, human beings are more than numbers. Contributing to the lives of the players around you via leadership or just being there for players in need is laudable. If you make a career out of that then yes, I do believe your peers so recognize that.

But we are talking about a mediocre player who was also one of the most loathsome human beings around. There are no "intangibles" about Guy Carbonneau that suddenly launch his generic numbers to HHOF status. He had a slightly longer, slightly better career than Steve Kasper, and nobody mentions Hall of Fame and Steve Kasper in the same breath.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
But we are talking about a mediocre player who was also one of the most loathsome human beings around. There are no "intangibles" about Guy Carbonneau that suddenly launch his generic numbers to HHOF status. He had a slightly longer, slightly better career than Steve Kasper, and nobody mentions Hall of Fame and Steve Kasper in the same breath.

Carbonneau was loathsome? What’s the story on that? I’ve never heard anyone say that about him.

Reactions: sarge88

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Carbonneau was loathsome? What’s the story on that? I’ve never heard anyone say that about him.

Dirty, diving, wouldn't fight. Lots of stick work. Our own sarge88 put him at the very top of the "Hab Hating" list, even above Nilan. Here's a quote:

1. Guy Carbonneau –If you need to get a visual image of what a “Dirty Hab” looks like, look up this guy. Dirty player, frequent diver and just an all around villain. A lot of Bruins weren't Saints but I've talked to actual Saints that called Carbonneau a tool.

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Wait....I just scrolled back in this thread.....

Guy Carbonneau is going to be inducted in the HOF?

Utterly ridiculous!

He was a one dimensional player who wasn't even outstanding at the one dimension!

If he didn't play for the Habs nobody would consider him for his team's HOF, never mind the big one.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Wait....I just scrolled back in this thread.....

Guy Carbonneau is going to be inducted in the HOF?

Utterly ridiculous!

He was a one dimensional player who wasn't even outstanding at the one dimension!

If he didn't play for the Habs nobody would consider him for his team's HOF, never mind the big one.

bingo.

see Lehtinen, Jere

Reactions: Dr Hook and sarge88

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Luongo retires-

Never forget-

I'm not surprised after hearing about what he had to go through just to get ready for games and practices as he says in the letter:

"Since I had my hip surgery a couple of years ago, I've been showing up two hours before every practice and three hours before every game to work out my hip. Even at night, whether it was the night before a game or even a night off, there I was rolling out, doing strengthening exercises. My entire life revolved around recovery, strengthening and making sure I was ready to go the next day."

They were talking about this on NHL Radio a couple of weeks ago. That's a lot to go through just to get out on the ice

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm not surprised after hearing about what he had to go through just to get ready for games and practices as he says in the letter:

"Since I had my hip surgery a couple of years ago, I've been showing up two hours before every practice and three hours before every game to work out my hip. Even at night, whether it was the night before a game or even a night off, there I was rolling out, doing strengthening exercises. My entire life revolved around recovery, strengthening and making sure I was ready to go the next day."

They were talking about this on NHL Radio a couple of weeks ago. That's a lot to go through just to get out on the ice

Agree, not at all surprised at this. Especially not at his age. H'es made his pile, put his body through the wringer for years, time to sit back and enjoy the life he worked so hard to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad