Around The NHL - True Gritty(ness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I suspect that will come in the offseason if the PP is still bad and we have money to hire another coach. I'm not sure when MacLean's contract runs to.

Allen, on the other hand, should be given a raise.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Talk about a sick stat I just saw- 'short-handed goals,' Coyotes= 10, next closest= 4. WOW!!!! :vhappy::highclap::wg:

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
It's unfortunate that Newell Brown was let go in spring 2017. He's clearly one of the top minds on the powerplay in the league.

Coyotes2014-1520.0%
Coyotes2015-1617.7%
Coyotes2016-1716.2%
Coyotes2017-1816.9%
Coyotes2018-1914.8%
Canucks2014-1519.3%
Canucks2015-1615.8%
Canucks2016-1714.1%
Canucks2017-1821.4%
Canucks2018-1919.2%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

.7% improvement from when Brown was let go and then it's down even further this year. As for the Canucks, they jumped 10 times that difference in the positive direction with him at the helm!

If MacLean is going to stick around, maybe some one else can take over the powerplay from him at the very least.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
So why not just fire him?

One another thing on MacLean's hiring - not only was he cheap, but we were still paying Playfair last year too. Probably Brown as well. So a budget team was paying Tocchet, Tippett (buyout), Playfair, Brown, MacLean, and Allen.

Yikes.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I have to wonder if Yeo is on the list for Seattle now given he was basically Tippett's protege in Houston.

Seattle may not have a crack at Q as supposedly he is top of the list for STL.

Reactions: rt

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I have to wonder if Yeo is on the list for Seattle now given he was basically Tippett's protege in Houston.
I highly doubt it. Yeo hasn't done much but inherit decent teams in Minnesota and St. Louis and didn't do much with them. Seattle will have better options.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Mike Van Ryan got passed over for the HC duties in Stl? You'd think he went there to get his shot. Wish he stayed with Tucson for another year.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don't think Van Ryn is quite ready yet. Personally I'd rather have Berube, at least as a short term thing.

The list of available coaches is insanely slim though. You've got AV and Q who are basically too expensive to hire because they need dollars similar to their old contacts. Tipp is committed to Seattle. You're not picking off an AHL guy or a rival assistant coach midseason. So who's left?

Ron Wilson - retired?/health issue
Michel Therrien - ehhh. Also may be happy just scouting.
Daryl Sutter - retired??
Bob Hartley - I think he's in KHL
Mike Yeo - but why?
John Stevens - ehh he's decent
Patrick Roy - but does he also want to be GM?
Paul MacLean - maybe the best of the bunch here
Doug Weight - I hope you have a goalie
Jim Playfair - hey, Friedman mentioned him for Seattle...
????

If you can possibly pick off a junior coach mid year, then absolutely call up Tim Hunter (top of my list when we hired Tocchet). I don't think he's willing, but another good choice is Dale Hunter.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Re: The Coyotes PP. I think I'd like to dump the 4F 1D format and go 3F 2D.

Fischer/Galchenyuk/Keller and OEL/Goligoski

and

Perlini/Stepan/Panik? and Chychrun/Connauton?

Fischer and Stepan need to plant their asses in front of the net, and the other 4 actually need to move around.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Fischer/Galchenyuk/Keller and OEL/Goligoski

and

Perlini/Stepan/Panik? and Chychrun/Connauton?

Fischer and Stepan need to plant their asses in front of the net, and the other 4 actually need to move around.
Oesterle.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Dsf2GexXgAEcI0G.jpg

it's shit like this that makes me both unable to like, and very willing to hate, the edmonton oilers

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
It drives me absolutely insane when we stand there passing back and forth on the PP. Moving the puck is great, but if you don't move your feet too nothing much is going to happen. Unsurprisingly, nothing much happens on our PPs.

You could put 4 actual pylons on the ice and we'd pass a whole bunch and then when we did shoot, the puck would hit a pylon dead center and carom out of the zone.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ

I haven't been a fan of this tactic, with this club. I'd like to see something different. I can't recall when I noticed the change, but it hasn't seemed to work. Even if the D substitute isn't a better shooter/threat, it seems the F's can't keep the point like a D.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Might as well do 2d. It always ends up being passed around until OEL or whoever is out on D can shoot anyway. Why not have two available shots!?

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't think Van Ryn is quite ready yet. Personally I'd rather have Berube, at least as a short term thing.

The list of available coaches is insanely slim though. You've got AV and Q who are basically too expensive to hire because they need dollars similar to their old contacts. Tipp is committed to Seattle. You're not picking off an AHL guy or a rival assistant coach midseason. So who's left?

Ron Wilson - retired?/health issue
Michel Therrien - ehhh. Also may be happy just scouting.
Daryl Sutter - retired??
Bob Hartley - I think he's in KHL
Mike Yeo - but why?
John Stevens - ehh he's decent
Patrick Roy - but does he also want to be GM?
Paul MacLean - maybe the best of the bunch here
Doug Weight - I hope you have a goalie
Jim Playfair - hey, Friedman mentioned him for Seattle...
????

If you can possibly pick off a junior coach mid year, then absolutely call up Tim Hunter (top of my list when we hired Tocchet). I don't think he's willing, but another good choice is Dale Hunter.
I don’t think many of us are calling for Tocchet to get canned yet. It’s just MacLean.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I suspect that will come in the offseason if the PP is still bad and we have money to hire another coach. I'm not sure when MacLean's contract runs to.

Allen, on the other hand, should be given a raise.

Our PP has to get better, doesn't it? If it doesn't improve, like now, we will miss the playoffs because of it, or at least it will be one of the big factors in the equation. Last year we had the third worst PP, this year the fifth. Something is not working.

rt

May 13, 2004
Our PP has to get better, doesn't it? If it doesn't improve, like now, we will miss the playoffs because of it, or at least it will be one of the big factors in the equation. Last year we had the third worst PP, this year the fifth. Something is not working.
MacLean’s PPs are ALWAYS underperforming. Even when he’s coaching great teams. His entire NHL coaching career has been like this.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
MacLean’s PPs are ALWAYS underperforming. Even when he’s coaching great teams. His entire NHL coaching career has been like this.

He's RT's man. They better figure it out. Their jobs could depend on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad