Around The NHL - True Gritty(ness)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It's unfortunate that injuries has followed him his entire career.

One of the advantages of being a broke franchise is they probably figured they couldn't take the chance of offering him anywhere near market value because of the injuries. I think we all knew he was a bad contract waiting to happen. Back injuries are no joke.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Does that Wilson contract seem a little rich?

We live in one of four worlds.

a) He is worth it, and another team was offering as much or almost as much.
b) He is worth it, but no other team would offer anything like it.
c) He is not worth it, but another team was offering about that much.
d) He is not worth it, and no other team would offer anything like it.

Based on the comments on the main board, it seems a lot of people believe we are in world d.

Based on the comments on the Caps board, there is some trust we live in either a or b.

If the Caps analytics says they wouldn't have won the cup without him, and why else would they seemingly go over the top like that, it may well be another team has done the same math. Ie we move towards A, then.

Well, that was my pointless rant for today ;-)

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
We live in one of four worlds.

a) He is worth it, and another team was offering as much or almost as much.
b) He is worth it, but no other team would offer anything like it.
c) He is not worth it, but another team was offering about that much.
d) He is not worth it, and no other team would offer anything like it.

Based on the comments on the main board, it seems a lot of people believe we are in world d.

Based on the comments on the Caps board, there is some trust we live in either a or b.

If the Caps analytics says they wouldn't have won the cup without him, and why else would they seemingly go over the top like that, it may well be another team has done the same math. Ie we move towards A, then.

Well, that was my pointless rant for today ;-)

Reading through all those possibilities I think it's actually likely to be C. He was testing the market but gave the Capitals a chance to match an offer he had elsewhere out of loyalty, and they chose to match it. However, it's a pretty ridiculous contract, if you ask me.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Reading through all those possibilities I think it's actually likely to be C. He was testing the market but gave the Capitals a chance to match an offer he had elsewhere out of loyalty, and they chose to match it. However, it's a pretty ridiculous contract, if you ask me.

Who are we talking about? Wilson? He was a RFA.

Reactions: _Del_

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I love the guy, but he turned a monster playoff run into an extra 2.15M dollars a year. This is why the Kings and Chicago, etc, couldn't keep their gangs together. Too much money for too long to the nonessential guys. Caps guys are just happy to have kept him, which I understand, but how long does that last?

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I love the guy, but he turned a monster playoff run into an extra 2.15M dollars a year. This is why the Kings and Chicago, etc, couldn't keep their gangs together. Too much money for too long to the nonessential guys. Caps guys are just happy to have kept him, which I understand, but how long does that last?
I agree, you can't pay guys like Wilson that money and term, it will catch up with them.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Stole this from another forum, if I owned a team I would fire my GM right after winning the Cup. I'm only half joking.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and _Del_

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Even for an outside voice it's hard to see where the money should go. Did anyone at the time see the Toews contract looking so bad, so soon? Dustin Brown was immediately overpaid, but it was easy to say "it's not a huge overpayment, and he's a key piecepiece". Etc, etc.

And there's obviously a strong "if it's not broken.." -element at play.

What kind of extension would Doan have gotten if we had Smithed our way to the Cup in 2012? As it was he got $21M over four years for a guy that was a few weeks shy of 36 at signing. OEL got his six -year contract the next off-season. Might have been quite a bit heavier. Does Pyatt get a big contract after his good playoffs?

I figured Wilson was going to get between $3.5-4M for four years or so for his playoffs. An overpayment but not so heavy and easy to justify and explain away. $5.1? He has an uphill battle to justify that, and it handcuffs them elsewhere. Without that playoff does he get more than $3M?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Skinner trade is rough. Have to imagine the Coyotes would have been involved if money wasn't an issue.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You're home a lot more on an East coast team. So if he has a family, that probably factors.

"Hey honey, it's 118° today in Phoenix. Do you thin--"
"No."

Plus Eichel probably has an appeal.

Reactions: CC96

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You're home a lot more on an East coast team. So if he has a family, that probably factors.

"Hey honey, it's 118° today in Phoenix. Do you thin--"
"No."

Plus Eichel probably has an appeal.

It's more like Skinner is a year from FA and needs to go to a situation where he can pump his numbers.

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->