OT: Around the NHL - 'Tis the Season to Fire Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
That’s a bang on comparison. You can’t teach a shot like that, but if either one of them could spell intensity, they would be unstoppable.

I don't know.. I definitely see intensity out of Phil. I don't think that is his issue at all. He just plays the game in the weirdest way possible. I've never ever seen a style like that.

It's nearly impossible to describe.

Reactions: BHD

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Seguin shouldn’t be able to negatively influence the 29 year old captain of the team. I don’t care how much of a problem he is or isn’t, that’s not an impressionable youth be dragged down.

Nill doesn’t impress me as a GM. He does something flashy, people ohh and ahh over it and then odds are the team does nothing much.
Can JR at least rip them off one more time before they fire him?

ZAR + 3rd for Dickinson.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Everyone loves and loves and loves on Tampa. They better win a Cup in the next 2 years or it's going to be VERY tough with having to go through Toronto as that team progresses. If that Tampa team ends up with no Cups, yeesh.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Everyone loves and loves and loves on Tampa. They better win a Cup in the next 2 years or it's going to be VERY tough with having to go through Toronto as that team progresses. If that Tampa team ends up with no Cups, yeesh.

I think they'll get to the ECF for sure. However, I'm anxious to see whether they can get over the hump. They held a 3-2 series leading against the Pens in 2016 before losing the last two games 7-3. On top of that, they lost the last two games to the Caps 7-0.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

If Stamkos didn't miss all but 1 game in 2016, they would have another cup.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If Stamkos didn't miss all but 1 game in 2016, they would have another cup.

I don't think they beat us. I think the best result they could have had was the one they did. I thought we owned them that series and the result did not match the actual game play.

I'm also ultra biased on that 2016 team. I think that's the very best cap era team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think they beat us. I think the best result they could have had was the one they did. I thought we owned them that series and the result did not match the actual game play.

I'm also ultra biased on that 2016 team. I think that's the very best cap era team.

Murray had his worst series of the playoffs against them and Bishop and Stamkos played 1 game (barely).

If our excuse is "we didn't win last year because we were tired and injured"...then I mean, let's not be f***ing hypocrites shall we?

Let's not pretend the Ottawa Senators also didn't take us to double OT the following year in the ECF.

Stars aligned for us for both ECF's...but in the Finals, we were easily the better team, zero question. I just don't know if we were the clear cut ones in either ECF's.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Murray had his worst series of the playoffs against them and Bishop and Stamkos played 1 game (barely).

If our excuse is "we didn't win last year because we were tired and injured"...then I mean, let's not be ****ing hypocrites shall we?

Let's not pretend the Ottawa Senators also didn't take us to double OT the following year in the ECF.

Stars aligned for us for both ECF's...but in the Finals, we were easily the better team, zero question. I just don't know if we were the clear cut ones in either ECF's.

Vasi played better than any goalie they could have asked for. He was out of this world good. He was the only reason that wasn't a route. Same with Jones for SJ. If they played like Holtby or Bob... we'd murder them in 5.

Once again - i'm insanely biased.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just looked it up. Vasi had a .925 save % in that series. .925 against the Penguins 2016 offense. Holy shit. Murray played insane that postseason and had a .923.

We are talking the Pittsburgh Penguins 2016 team. With that speed, HBK clicking, Sid at an insane level, etc. To have a .925 against that team means you are doing something special.

Remember - we are talking just the Pens series he had a .925. Not against other scrub teams. The Pens.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I just looked it up. Vasi had a .925 save % in that series. .925 against the Penguins 2016 offense. Holy ****. Murray played insane that postseason and had a .923.

We are talking the Pittsburgh Penguins 2016 team. With that speed, HBK clicking, Sid at an insane level, etc. To have a .925 against that team means you are doing something special.

Remember - we are talking just the Pens series he had a .925. Not against other scrub teams. The Pens.

Jones did better, crazily enough. I’d say the Pens also shanked chances they should have scored on, though.

Maybe Bishop would have been better than Vasilevsky but there’s no way of knowing. Maybe Letang would have had a better series if Callaghan didn’t board him (and his foot infection?), maybe Malkin would have been better if he’d been healthier, maybe the Pens would have won faster if Daley hadn’t broken his ankle, maybe they would have won game 6 if Sullivan’s didn’t play goalie games, maybe Sheary would have been more productive if Wilson didn’t get his knee, etc. It can’t just be considering Tampa’s injuries to hypothetically predict a different outcome.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I just looked it up. Vasi had a .925 save % in that series. .925 against the Penguins 2016 offense. Holy ****. Murray played insane that postseason and had a .923.

The Pens outshot the Lightning 258-1179 in that series. Absurd.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don't know.. I definitely see intensity out of Phil. I don't think that is his issue at all. He just plays the game in the weirdest way possible. I've never ever seen a style like that.

It's nearly impossible to describe.

He avoids contact at all costs until the playoffs, where he kind of avoids it. That’s pretty much it. That, and he uses a junior flex stick.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just a side note: Seth Jones is not very good at defense.
No wonder they relied on the JJ's and Savard's so much in the past.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I think Murray vs the Bolts that year was something like a .904 SV%...

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
If Tampa were healthy vs us in 2016, They lose in 5...

Impossible that Bishop plays better than Vasy did.

Reactions: Turin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If Tampa were healthy vs us in 2016, They lose in 5...

Impossible that Bishop plays better than Vasy did.

Stamkos gets in there, and Johnson probably doesn’t score as much. Meanwhile, there’s no way Tampa takes that to 7 if you replay that series again. That series is the textbook example of the randomness of hockey.

Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad