OT: Around the NHL - 'Tis the Season to Fire Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think the Jets are a love/hate team. They play board hockey and have shooters for days. I feel there is a lot of clutching/grabbing when I watch their games and they like to slow it down. Their "fast" guys look so out of place on the team but it's not like they play a very slow paced game. They just play a board game. I wouldn't be shocked if their gameplan is to find the board battles because all they have to do is win a battle, make a pass, and one of the snipers is going to get a puck to go into the net.

I do not like the puck being stuck around the boards all game. Not my favorite type of hockey. But damn those guys can f***ing shoot.

Reactions: BHD

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think the Jets are a love/hate team. They play board hockey and have shooters for days. I feel there is a lot of clutching/grabbing when I watch their games and they like to slow it down. Their "fast" guys look so out of place on the team but it's not like they play a very slow paced game. They just play a board game. I wouldn't be shocked if their gameplan is to find the board battles because all they have to do is win a battle, make a pass, and one of the snipers is going to get a puck to go into the net.

I do not like the puck being stuck around the boards all game. Not my favorite type of hockey. But damn those guys can ****ing shoot.

Schief is an absolute tank.

I’m not really a big fan of Laine’s game. I think he needs to become more versatile especially if he starts making 9 mil.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Schief is an absolute tank.

I’m not really a big fan of Laine’s game. I think he needs to become more versatile especially if he starts making 9 mil.

If there is ANYONE who is an outlier to the "NHL style" similar to the way Kessel is, it is Laine. That dude's shot is absolutely lethal, but he plays a damn interesting brand of hockey, eh? If people think Kessel is "lazy", they should watch Laine roam around. He glides and glides and glides and then that puck is on his stick/off his stick in a millisecond. I can understand if there were a small group of Jets fans who don't love his game due to it.

But man you just can't teach that shot. That thing is utterly lethal. I would kill to see him in one of my adult league games. I would imagine he could score from anywhere.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Lowry is on pace for 25 pts yet Brassard is a disappointment?

Ehlers is the exact type of player that is a ghost in the playoffs. Little is older and not a legit 2C anymore and is too small for the West. Tanev is basically a ZAR that score a little more. And chances are Perreault will be nursing an injury his production had also been dropping to the 30 point range since he no longer gets 1st PP time.

Let’s not even get into the fact their D is essentially ours with the bottom pairing and Myers in the top four. Can’t wait to see the team that blows their wad on that dude because he’s tall.

I think they get a ton of hype because they are Canadian, but I think if Calgary’s goaltending pans out you could make the argument they’re the 2nd best team behind Toronto.

You forgot Wheeler, Schiefele, and Laine. And again, Chevy could acquire a second line centre (e.g., Brayden Schenn, Brock Nelson) at the deadline. For example, Schiefele/XXXXX/Little/Lowry. Not bad...

Anyways, it could all be for naught if they have to play the Preds again. Whatever team wins that series will have nothing left for the team from the Pacific.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You forgot Wheeler, Schiefele, and Laine. And again, Chevy could acquire a second line centre (e.g., Brayden Schenn, Brock Nelson) at the deadline. For example, Schiefele/XXXXX/Little/Lowry. Not bad...

Anyways, it could all be for naught if they have to play the Preds again. Whatever team wins that series will have nothing left for the team from the Pacific.

And the teams going against them like Calgary, Nashville, and San Jose all have comparable weapons.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Winnipeg get knocked out in the 1st round and everyone in the media be surprised.

Laine is an easy player to shut down in the playoffs. Getting a 2C doesn’t solve the issue of their D being basically one pairing.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Because they are massively overrated.

Their D is questionable, their goalie has had one good season and their forward depth is nowhere near what it was with Statsny.

Their D is questionable in that they need one middle pairing guy. Hellebuyck is young with pedigree and their forward depth has been more than good enough to manage without the two months they Stastny. They’re closer to Toronto West than f***ing St. Louis or Minnesota.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

I do not like the puck being stuck around the boards all game. Not my favorite type of hockey. But damn those guys can ****ing shoot.

The Jets are one of the most competent open-ice teams in the league. Most of their forwards dominate the rush. I don’t understand this point at all. They play nothing like heavy teams of yore, they’re just big as well as fast.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Their playing style is nothing like Toronto.

Their results are. Their style is nothing like “board heavy” either. Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor and Laine are all way more effective on the rush.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
And the teams going against them like Calgary, Nashville, and San Jose all have comparable weapons.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Winnipeg get knocked out in the 1st round and everyone in the media be surprised.

Laine is an easy player to shut down in the playoffs. Getting a 2C doesn’t solve the issue of their D being basically one pairing.

They could, but so could every other team in their conference. Even the Flames, who look unstoppable some nights, could go out early if their goaltending doesn't hold up. Same goes for the Preds. Meanwhile, the Sharks and Knights haven't looked that dangerous.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
They could, but so could every other team in their conference. Even the Flames, who look unstoppable some nights, could go out early if their goaltending doesn't hold up. Same goes for the Preds. Meanwhile, the Sharks and Knights haven't looked that dangerous.

I just think they are incredibly overrated. Nothing about them outside of Schief, Trouba, Wheeler, and Laine impresses me and even Laine is just kind of meh.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I just think they are incredibly overrated. Nothing about them outside of Schief, Trouba, Wheeler, and Laine impresses me and even Laine is just kind of meh.

Byfuglien can be an impact player when he isn't taking stupid penalties. Plus, Hellebuyck can still regain his form from last season. I'm not saying the Jets are bulletproof, but they're the biggest threat in the West if they put everything together.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Byfuglien can be an impact player when he isn't taking stupid penalties. Plus, Hellebuyck can still regain his form from last season. I'm not saying the Jets are bulletproof, but they're the biggest threat in the West if they put everything together.

I dunno. I go Nash and San Jose and then the clump of Winni, Calgary and Vegas with Colorado and Edmonton as wild cards.

Thornton looked 25 last night.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I dunno. I go Nash and San Jose and then the clump of Winni, Calgary and Vegas with Colorado and Edmonton as wild cards.

Thornton looked 25 last night.

Right now, my top 5 would probably be...

Nashville
Calgary
Winnipeg
Vegas
San Jose

Goaltending would be the X-factor for the top three.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If there is ANYONE who is an outlier to the "NHL style" similar to the way Kessel is, it is Laine. That dude's shot is absolutely lethal, but he plays a damn interesting brand of hockey, eh? If people think Kessel is "lazy", they should watch Laine roam around. He glides and glides and glides and then that puck is on his stick/off his stick in a millisecond. I can understand if there were a small group of Jets fans who don't love his game due to it.

But man you just can't teach that shot. That thing is utterly lethal. I would kill to see him in one of my adult league games. I would imagine he could score from anywhere.

Plus he looks like Gary Busey.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

That’s a bang on comparison. You can’t teach a shot like that, but if either one of them could spell intensity, they would be unstoppable.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Holy **** those comments from Stars ownership at Benn and Seguin.
Is anyone surprised about Seguin though? Wasn't he moved because of his...let's be kind here, personality...

Their coach ripped into that team, which is I guess normal when a team is spiraling and what not, but then your VP absolutely tears into the team as well? LOL...Dallas is imploding big time and it's kind of fun to watch. Their fans are so f***ing obnoxious in every thread I ever see their most active posters in the main forum, it's eye roll city with their comments.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Is anyone surprised about Seguin though? Wasn't he moved because of his...let's be kind here, personality...

Their coach ripped into that team, which is I guess normal when a team is spiraling and what not, but then your VP absolutely tears into the team as well? LOL...Dallas is imploding big time and it's kind of fun to watch. Their fans are so ****ing obnoxious in every thread I ever see their most active posters in the main forum, it's eye roll city with their comments.

I guess. Seguin seems like a stud.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009

Their coach ripped into that team, which is I guess normal when a team is spiraling and what not, but then your VP absolutely tears into the team as well? LOL...Dallas is imploding big time and it's kind of fun to watch. Their fans are so ****ing obnoxious in every thread I ever see their most active posters in the main forum, it's eye roll city with their comments.

I always assumed that was overblown about Seguin. Boston loves to put a hit out on any big player they move who doesn't have the personality of Patrice Bergeron, although I image that even he would be retconned into some type of problem by their media.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The last person I would ever hear anything about would be Benn on that team, Seguin has been a fantastic influence I see.

I'm shocked Evander Kane didn't end up there.

Seguin shouldn’t be able to negatively influence the 29 year old captain of the team. I don’t care how much of a problem he is or isn’t, that’s not an impressionable youth be dragged down.

Nill doesn’t impress me as a GM. He does something flashy, people ohh and ahh over it and then odds are the team does nothing much.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Sometimes an owner/CEO speaking out can help though. Can spark people into action and know they've got to buck their ideas up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad