Around the NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
RNH is interesting because he has never known anything other than the utter chaos and country club atmosphere of the Oilers organization.

He's carved out a niche in Edmonton where despite being a 1st overall, there are virtually no expectations of him to do anything to lead the team. He can hide behind McDavid and Draisaitl as well as the Hall and Eberle trades.

It's kind of a toxic relationship because the Oilers need him due to their putrid forward depth and he probably needs the Oilers because I doubt he'd meet actual expectations at a professionally run club

Reactions: FlamerForLife

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Wow, what an overpayment. I like Anderson, but CLB makes out like crazy here

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
It isn't just value, Anderson was clearly the specific player and type of player they wanted.

Domi is a good player, but I don't think he's as good as his 18-19 consistently. He's like Hudler, a good middle six, 40-50 point consistently player. But he'll also likely get paid more than Anderson.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Bennett and a 3rd?

Shouldn't we be getting the 3rd? And Bennett > Anderson. Similar ilk players, but Anderson has injury issues plus is a true winger vs Bennett is a centre or bust.

Plus... isn't Anderson an RFA right now vs Bennett still has another season of excellent cap hit?

MB would get major rekt if he went after Bennett... and I think Flames fans would still be upset, likely to what Domi would command on his extension.

I do think it's apt that the first Domino to fall is DOMI.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Well that trade shows that a player is worth what someone is willing pay. As armchair GM’s we never know the true value of players. I think Columbus got the better player. Injuries have totally hampered Anderson’s career.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I much prefer Andersen if he’s healthy. But yeah that’s a huge risk for the Habs. I think Domi wanted out though

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Seriously, Fig, read between the lines! There's an infinite number of options!

giphy.gif

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Just a random thought and thinking out loud, did Vegas make a mistake with getting Petro and Stone?

I remember back when Minnesota signed Parise and Suter long term, they were seen as huge winners that offseason and instant contenders but that never really happened and they are now somewhat committed to being mediocre.

Vegas already had such a great team with a really good prospect pool. They were forced to lose some of their depth and I feel like they have a 3 year window before they are going to have a declining core with not many options with a hard cap due to the pandemic.

I LOVE Mark Stone and Petro, but what are those contracts looking like in 3 years at 9.5 & 8.8 per, respectively in 3 years?

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I LOVE Mark Stone and Petro, but what are those contracts looking like in 3 years at 9.5 & 8.8 per, respectively in 3 years?
I feel like Mark Stone will still be able to produce at a decent level. Not necessarily at 9.5, but I doubt he produces at a level too much lower (maybe at an -8.5). Petro is the one that I feel like has the high-risk potential to drop off mid contract (Stone's contract ends at 34, Petro's at 37).

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Just a random thought and thinking out loud, did Vegas make a mistake with getting Petro and Stone?

I remember back when Minnesota signed Parise and Suter long term, they were seen as huge winners that offseason and instant contenders but that never really happened and they are now somewhat committed to being mediocre.

Vegas already had such a great team with a really good prospect pool. They were forced to lose some of their depth and I feel like they have a 3 year window before they are going to have a declining core with not many options with a hard cap due to the pandemic.

I think yes with Petro, but no with Stone. If you can acquire a forward to become your best player long-term, it's hard to argue against that move.

With Petro, he significantly added to their salary, but I'm not sure about the upgrade he represents to their blueline given he was essentially traded for Nate Schmidt. I don't see that move as being worth the cap squeeze it created.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Would you have traded Valimaki and Andersson for him?

I've heard that ask being spun around some places, but given what Vegas paid where is the actual credence in that? If I'm speculating the Flames probably offered Kylington ++ and Vegas topped that. Ottawa countered with Valimaki + or Andersson + and the Flames refused at that point if I had to guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad