Around the NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The Canucks have a really good young core but god damn if they don't remind me of the 2017 Oilers. The smartest thing they can do is stand pat and acknowledge that they maybe got a little lucky in this run.

41 xGF% through the playoffs, right next to Arizona but rocking a 55 GF% because they had a 0.950% save percentage at 5v5.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Been a long suffering flames fan going on 4 decades and gotta watch Vegas come in and have a team in three years that we’ve been waiting for since ‘89. Mark Stone is a special, special player. But thanks for Lucic, Neal and Brouwer Brad T. Well run team. Signing off.....PO’ed Flames fan.

Reactions: Dack

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don’t doubt his eye for talent, he gets a certain stigma because of how animated his broadcast style is but I have no idea how he would be as a competent GM. Being a GM is managing an organization along with having a very specific set of skill related to your trade.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don’t doubt his eye for talent, he gets a certain stigma because of how animated his broadcast style is but I have no idea how he would be as a competent GM. Being a GM is managing an organization along with having a very specific set of skill related to your trade.
MCGUIRE'S TENURE A BAD SITUATION

Not to say that would be the same as a GM, but he has been out the NHL for 25 years now.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If a team is dumb enough to bring in McGuire they will richly deserve the following decade of picking up the pieces of the mess he will make.

Guy might be a hockey encyclopedia, but part of being a good GM is the social aspect of player, GM, and media relations and Pierre has proven to be completely lacking in that ability.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
you mean the flames missed an opportunity? I don’t see it; we were clearly a tier below these guys.

The series should have been 3-1, but Flames went full moron and let it slip away. Dallas controlled the play, but their chances were miniscule. In game 6 I saw a stat (fairly sure it was posted here) which said Dallas had 7 high danger chances for the game and statistically they should have scored 1.6 goals total that game. We lost 7-3.

I can't see Dallas continuing their luck against Tampa.

BudRobinson53

Sep 5, 2020
If we had a top line centre, we're in the final right now and I stand by that.

No, in watching the playoffs, the winning teams have not relied on the top lines (anymore than normal). It has been and continues to be those "unproven" third liners like Gurianov, Kirivanta etc. along with 2nd line scorers brought in, like Pavelski.

When ours (Dube etc.) were scoring we had a chance to win the series, when they went cold - we were done.

3 wins away from the Stanley Cup, I know I am not in awe of Dallas, I'm sure many are not. I don't find their goalie to be all-world and my only observation is that they have 3 lines that can score, giving them a chance to win nightly.

So, if the new second line is Backlund, Tchachuk and Eat Bread and the 3rd line is Bennett, Looch and Dube - that's fine, but they need to score key goals 5v5 vs. other playoff teams.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Dallas that played Flames is not the same team that is now leading the finals. They have improved their play every round, and while Flames almost took 3-1 lead in that series does not mean Flames would be in the same position as Dallas is now if they'd won that first round series. Unless of course Flames had improved a lot every round

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
No, in watching the playoffs, the winning teams have not relied on the top lines (anymore than normal). It has been and continues to be those "unproven" third liners like Gurianov, Kirivanta etc. along with 2nd line scorers brought in, like Pavelski.

When ours (Dube etc.) were scoring we had a chance to win the series, when they went cold - we were done.

3 wins away from the Stanley Cup, I know I am not in awe of Dallas, I'm sure many are not. I don't find their goalie to be all-world and my only observation is that they have 3 lines that can score, giving them a chance to win nightly.

So, if the new second line is Backlund, Tchachuk and Eat Bread and the 3rd line is Bennett, Looch and Dube - that's fine, but they need to score key goals 5v5 vs. other playoff teams.
Monahan had 2 powerplay assists all series against Dallas and brought virtually nothing else to the table other than winning faceoffs and "trying really hard". At least Tyler Seguin made his presence known alongside Benn

The playoffs are all about depth but your team has nowhere to hide when your top line centre is among the worst in the league

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The playoffs are all about depth but your team has nowhere to hide when your top line centre is among the worst in the league

Teams with a worse #1 C than us:

Arizona - Stephan/Schmaltz
Montreal (for now)
Minnesota - Bjugstad/Johansson
Jersey (for now)
Ottawa - Tierney/White

Teams with a Comparable or slightly worse #1 C than us:

Anaheim - Getlzaf (due to age)
Vegas - Karlsson
Nashville - Johanssen/Duchene

Started this to counter, honestly it's kinda a bummer.

I still think getting all three lines producing at a key time is how you win in playoffs, and realistically we had one line doing that. Second line stopped producing against the Stars too. Obviously losing Tkachuk hurts, but while he was an impact on the ice, his impact on the scoresheet overall in playoffs was quite small. Top line overall didn't produce much 5 on 5.

Can't rely on your third line to consistently be your best line and expect to win.

While I think Monahan does deserve criticism, I just think it's bizarre how the focus has gone nearly entirely on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad