Around the NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
But what about that Mason McDonald kid eh?

I've been mulling this over for a while as it has been eating away at me. I seem to recall there were reports that there was something that could potentially cause Demko's career to end which is why we went with MacDonald. Supposedly per scouts, both MacDonald and Demko were considered likely to become NHL calibre, but we selected MacDonald because he didn't have some condition or issue like Demko that could potentially end his career (he was ranked higher than MacDonald). I have no clue if somehow our development failed MacDonald like many others before him (thus we'd be saying the same of Demko vs MacDonald right now), or if there were other problems with MacDonald that caused him to falter.

I get hunches about goalies a lot and I feel like I would often have a good chance on success if based on my hunches, but I've always never liked righty catching goalies. I just cannot for the life of me get a good read/hunch on any of them like I can for lefty catchers and most of the ones I've ever followed don't do very well. Thus I generally dislike them for an unreasonable reason. It is for a similar reason I'm not as excited on Askarov than most.

The craziest other attribute about Demko that should have made him a Flame over MacDonald? He was back up to Jon Gilles in the 2014 IIHF tournament.

Binnington I was interested in before he won his cup in a Rittich trade.

Markstrom I was interested as a project in around 16-17 when I was walking down memory lane about guys like Herik Karlsson who was basically the same stature as Harvey the Hound. Darling and Dubnyk were also in that conversation as interesting projects... so two reasonable swings and a major miss in Darling I think isn't that bad, right?

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I've been mulling this over for a while as it has been eating away at me. I seem to recall there were reports that there was something that could potentially cause Demko's career to end which is why we went with MacDonald. Supposedly per scouts, both MacDonald and Demko were considered likely to become NHL calibre, but we selected MacDonald because he didn't have some condition or issue like Demko that could potentially end his career (he was ranked higher than MacDonald). I have no clue if somehow our development failed MacDonald like many others before him (thus we'd be saying the same of Demko vs MacDonald right now), or if there were other problems with MacDonald that caused him to falter.

I get hunches about goalies a lot and I feel like I would often have a good chance on success if based on my hunches, but I've always never liked righty catching goalies. I just cannot for the life of me get a good read/hunch on any of them like I can for lefty catchers and most of the ones I've ever followed don't do very well. Thus I generally dislike them for an unreasonable reason. It is for a similar reason I'm not as excited on Askarov than most.

The craziest other attribute about Demko that should have made him a Flame over MacDonald? He was back up to Jon Gilles in the 2014 IIHF tournament.

Markstrom I was interested as a project in around 16-17 when I was walking down memory lane about guys like Herik Karlsson who was basically the same stature as Harvey the Hound. Darling and Dubnyk were also in that conversation as interesting projects... so two reasonable swings and a major miss in Darling I think isn't that bad, right?

Demko did have some kind of injury or something. I do remember that. But McDonald just bombed. He doesn't even look very good in the ECHL unfortunately.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Burke talked about it on HNIC when Demko was beasting. Apparently they went away from Demko because he had one major hip surgery two years prior to the draft, then the other hip the next year. They felt the risk factor was too high.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Burke talked about it on HNIC when Demko was beasting. Apparently they went away from Demko because he had one major hip surgery two years prior to the draft, then the other hip the next year. They felt the risk factor was too high.

Dang, that's basically the surgery that derailed Gilles. I honestly think that if Vancouver got a hold of Gilles, he'd turn into a stud. I think there are serious problems with our goalie development program (no offense to the guys currently running int and/or if Treliving has already addressed it) as we haven't developed anyone. I wonder if we could entice Vancouver with Janko/Gille's rights. Gilles has played alongside Demko before. Weisbrod will love Janko.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Yeah, the 2 surgeries to Demko pre draft didn't help (I believe he's had another surgery, and 2-3 concussions since being drafted by the Canucks as well). I think part of it was MacDonald was also posting really good stats on a really poor defensive team (I think about once every 2-3 games he would end up facing like 50+ shots, I remember on more than one occasion him facing close to 70 the year after we drafted him). It's just he was never able to take that next step after Juniors (and even his final year in juniors saw him kind of fall off)

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Jesus, Mathesons contract is kind of questionable too. And 6 years left, with the last 5 on a modified NTC

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Lundqvist will very likely be bought out

Edit Bobby Ryan's just been bought out

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I completely forgot a cup-clinching game was on tonight. Hope the Stars can still force a game 7 but it seems like everyone is just waiting for October 9th at this point

Edit booo

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm not surprised Tampa is better without Stamkos. He's a Monahan type... puts up goals but you'd rather have guys like Cirelli, Bennett, Backlund, Point down the middle.

@SKRusty I guess a skill team like Tampa can win after all. You must be shocked

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Well-deserved for a fairly exemplary organization. Nice to see them rewarded.
Yep, too bad Yzerman doesn't get a ring here because it's mostly his handiwork. I've no doubt he will resurrect the Red Wings to greatness as well within the next five years.

Ladies and gentlmen, Curtis McElhinney: Stanley Cup Champion

I like this team, I'm glad they won it.
Chiasson, Butler, McBackup... every year a reminder of our failure to identify the winning talent. :/
But seriously, if there's such a thing as an elite backup goalie, that's him. He's done a rock solid job for the last decade and is very deserving of some hardware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Maybe Tre can bring him here and the cup follows again? We can could have a standout line of Looch-Janko ( if Tre resigns him) and Maroon the "Cup-goon"! Oh yah...

Pity the defence pairing out there when the opposition transitions from D to O on that line!

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
RNH is looking for 8 mill, and Oiler fans say he's worth 7....
Man oh man does Johnny's contract look good right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->