Around the NHL Thread - Found the Missing #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Gulutzan, for all his warts, had a winning record in both his seasons here.

Not sure Berube is worse than Peter Horachek, though.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Gulutzan, for all his warts, had a winning record in both his seasons here.

28 regulation wins + 9 OTW
37 regulation losses + 10 OTL

is not a winning record. It's a losing record in regulation and a losing record in extra time.

30 regulation wins and 32 regulation losses the year prior was also a losing regulation record. But we were 13-4 in extra time.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hitchcock?

youre_serious_futurama.gif

Disappointed it wasn't Gulutzan though

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hitchcock is still a good coach and an adaptive one. Had Seguin playing incredibly last year and was done in by Spezza having a serious down year.

Fortunately the Oilers' problem wasn't coaching, it was player personnel. Just a terrible organization.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Coaching is not the issue in Edmonton :laugh:

It’s their management and roster depth. How do they not get this?

8 coaches in 10 years now.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Coaching was definitely part of the problem; it just wasn't the problem. McLellan's handling of Puljujarvi was awful for example.

Hitchcock, as an interim coach with already half a foot out the door in terms of retirement is going to do absolutely nothing for them though. And say nothing about his antiquated approach and confrontational style. At best, he provides a small improvement in goaltending and defence but it's going to decimate an already weak offense.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
This is the definition of insanity. Unless they fire everyone, including Gretzky, I cannot understand how any of their fans have the slightest amount of hope. Hitch is a decent coach, I feel bad for him.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
McDavid's gonna finish the season with 70 pts now.

Chiarelli lives another day

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Doesn’t mate a ton of sense to me. Can you still fire Chia? Seems to me when you switch out the GM he usually wants to bring in his own guy as coach. Hopefully he keeps making panic moves

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Hitch is a decent coach.
He doesn’t have remotely close to the right personnel in Edmonton to make it work though

This is a Hail Mary attempt by Chia to save his job. It will never work I mean Chaisson is their 4th leading scorer ... There is absolutely no depth in Edmonton among the forwards and the Defense is marginally better than an AHL squad.

Reactions: Janks

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hitchcock..nice
Oilers will now lose 2-1 instead of 7-1 lol

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
28 regulation wins + 9 OTW
37 regulation losses + 10 OTL

is not a winning record. It's a losing record in regulation and a losing record in extra time.

30 regulation wins and 32 regulation losses the year prior was also a losing regulation record. But we were 13-4 in extra time.

This is irrelevant in the NHL, where a 1-0-81 team beats out a 41-41-0 team. Over .500, winning record, doesn't matter how you say it. Usually it's the difference between being in the mix and being awful. The Flames made the playoffs one year, and were in it until the final stretch the next. Gulutzan failed, but he was not the worst coach ever.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
This is a Hail Mary attempt by Chia to save his job. It will never work I mean Chaisson is their 4th leading scorer ... There is absolutely no depth in Edmonton among the forwards and the Defense is marginally better than an AHL squad.
This is exactly it. A 60 game trial to showcase the coaching was terrible. If they finish anywhere near the playoffs, Chia likely keeps his job and pushes all the blame on TMac (and not his terrible roster construction).

Reactions: SKRusty

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The only way Chia keeps his job IMO is if the team not only gets into the playoffs but also has to win at least one round.

Hitch is a great coach but I expect a state of Hockey Address in late December again in Edmonton with the firing of Chiarelli. Outside of Connor the team is constructed very poorly. Draisaitl is a 6-6.5 M center not 8. Lucic is an anchor. The development of Ratty, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Bear and Bouchard has been pee poor. Heck Tobias Rieder, Strome, and even Nurse have been completely mismanaged. It is sad they are going to have to perform a mini rebuild just to right the ship.

Reactions: Janks

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hitchcock has been fired twice in the past two years. He is 15 years older than MacLellan. There's quite a good chance he's actually worse.

giphy.gif

Your days are numbered Pete.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I for one am happy. I was getting sick to death of the constant female dogging and complaining about Todd McLellan by HFOil fans. Now I'll only be subjected to the continual whining about Chiarelli, which in itself is like listening to finger nails on a chalkboard... But at least the verbal diarrheatic assault should be significantly reduced.
I do feel sorry for Hitchcock though... somewhat. I figure that KLowe must have dirty pics of him peeing on prostitutes in a bed in Moscow... Thus the reason he was unable to refuse the kind offer of a job coaching in that clusterf*** of an organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad