Around the NHL Thread - Found the Missing #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Was hoping the Coyotes would be able to sneak into the playoffs, even if it meant playing us.

Kuemper gets injured, stick to his eye and the Oilers also sh***ing the bed against the Avs doesn't give the Coyotes the likelihood of making the playoffs.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I don't like our matchup against Colorado, I'll be honest with you guys.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Why? Were 3-0 against then and dominated 2 of the 3 games it doesn't get much more favorable than that.

I'd rank the teams like this 1st being most want to play and 4th being least

Coyotes
Avs
Wild
Stars

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
I don't like our matchup against Colorado, I'll be honest with you guys.
giphy.gif

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
4 out of 7 games at home when we have Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik to matchup against the big three. I’ll take that all day, since that Avs lineup lacks some serious depth.

Grubauer is hot, but that’s about the only thing that gives me any concern.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
We’ll see how Grubauer holds up under playoff pressure. And their top line is worrisome of course, but we let the 3M line handle them and that bottom end depth and D core? Not scared of them at all, we should be able to run a train on their depth. That being said, playoffs, anything can happen.

This flames team has had an insanely amazing season. And for some reason I’ve yet to come to grips with it, I still feel like we’re this fringe team hoping to dog fight our way out of the 1st round. When in reality, the stats say we can go skill for skill and come out on top most nights. Hopefully a playoff wins helps steer me true :yo:

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I like how we match up against Colorado. Their first line/Grubauer will steal some games but I think over a 7 game series our depth should prevail pretty easily

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I also really like how we match up to Colorado. We have one line to shut down, and I believe the 3M line can do just that. Our depth scoring will be crucial in this series, luckily we have that.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Grubauer was hot for the Caps down the stretch last season and the blew his shot in the first 2 games against Columbus, so there's no guarantee he stays hot come playoff time. Their first line is obviously insanely scary but matching 3M against them should hopefully do the job.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I like how we match up against Colorado. Their first line/Grubauer will steal some games but I think over a 7 game series our depth should prevail pretty easily
Agreed with this, although I'm not even sure Grubauer will be that big a factor. Both their goalies run pretty hot/cold and if we catch either of them on an off night, I'm not sure the Avs have the scoring necessary to keep up.

Should be a really fun series either way though. I'd much rather watch a potentially high-offense series against Colorado than have to endure a defensive slugfest against either of Arizona or Minnesota.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Agreed with this, although I'm not even sure Grubauer will be that big a factor. Both their goalies run pretty hot/cold and if we catch either of them on an off night, I'm not sure the Avs have the scoring necessary to keep up.

Should be a really fun series either way though. I'd much rather watch a potentially high-offense series against Colorado than have to endure a defensive slugfest against either of Arizona or Minnesota.

One thing is they will be getting Makar as soon as he’s eliminated or wins the NCAA tourney. I think it wraps us this weekend so he will play game 1 or 2 at the latest

I know D-men don’t usually step in and make a huge impact but I’m really looking forward to watching him

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
One thing is they will be getting Makar as soon as he’s eliminated or wins the NCAA tourney. I think it wraps us this weekend so he will play game 1 or 2 at the latest

I know D-men don’t usually step in and make a huge impact but I’m really looking forward to watching him
The Frozen Four is next weekend, the earliest Makar draws in would be game 3 or 4. Most Avs fans don't even want Makar to play this year, playing even in 1 game this season would burn a year off his contract AND make him expansion draft eligible.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
The Frozen Four is next weekend, the earliest Makar draws in would be game 3 or 4. Most Avs fans don't even want Makar to play this year, playing even in 1 game this season would burn a year off his contract AND make him expansion draft eligible.

I may be mistaken but I’m fairly certain it would not make him expansion eligible. It would burn a year off of his ELC but I believe the threshold is 11 regular season games to be eligible for the expansion draft

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I may be mistaken but I’m fairly certain it would not make him expansion eligible. It would burn a year off of his ELC but I believe the threshold is 11 regular season games to be eligible for the expansion draft
Since Makar is 20 he only needs to play 1 game. Quinn Hughes being 19 is still exempt.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Since Makar is 20 he only needs to play 1 game. Quinn Hughes being 19 is still exempt.

So essentially it’s because he has a late birthday? I know that Poehling who just signed in Montreal is ineligible even though he is also 20 and drafted in 2017 like Makar.

The only difference being that Makar is born in October of ‘98 and Poehling in January of ‘99

Unfortunate rule if that’s the case, should be based on the year in which they were draft eligible imo

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Colorado is a little less green than us in terms of postseason experience and I think that's the difference-maker. Obviously it's not like matching up against the Sharks or something, but their team is a little older, wiser, and more ready to push for a longer run. Flames this season basically fell backwards into first in the Pacific division and I don't think anyone on this team expected to have the season that we did. Just don't know that we are mentally prepared for a long playoff run, which is a far bigger factor than regular season success.

Let's also not forget that Bill Peters has NEVER coached an NHL playoff team and that's gonna be a HUGE X factor. I hate to be the pessimist here but I believe this series is gonna be a lot harder than most folks expect.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I like it better than playing Dallas, who they still might end up playing...

It's pretty annoying, feels like we're gonna face some godmode goaltending in every round this year. Kuemper or Grubauer in the first round. MAF in the 2nd round (Go Sharks!!). Binnington or Bishop in the WCF. I love our team but we don't have that Stamkos type outside sniper who can make good goalies pay with a quick swing of the puck. Well, we do have Gio but we don't ever put him in a sniper position.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It's pretty annoying, feels like we're gonna face some godmode goaltending in every round this year. Kuemper or Grubauer in the first round. MAF in the 2nd round (Go Sharks!!). Binnington or Bishop in the WCF. I love our team but we don't have that Stamkos type outside sniper who can make good goalies pay with a quick swing of the puck. Well, we do have Gio but we don't ever put him in a sniper position.
The real deal james neal

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Colorado is a little less green than us in terms of postseason experience and I think that's the difference-maker. Obviously it's not like matching up against the Sharks or something, but their team is a little older, wiser, and more ready to push for a longer run. Flames this season basically fell backwards into first in the Pacific division and I don't think anyone on this team expected to have the season that we did. Just don't know that we are mentally prepared for a long playoff run, which is a far bigger factor than regular season success.

Let's also not forget that Bill Peters has NEVER coached an NHL playoff team and that's gonna be a HUGE X factor. I hate to be the pessimist here but I believe this series is gonna be a lot harder than most folks expect.
I don’t think anyone necessarily expects an “easy” series, imo there’s no such thing as an easy series, every team in the playoffs has a shot. But I think it’s more about being confident in our depth vs their depth.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

So much falseness in this post.

Re: playoff experience

Ian Cole, Carl Soderberg and Derrick Brassard are the only Avs with any NHL playoff series wins under their belt. Maybe some other 4th line scrub but who cares. And Brassard is awful this year.

From our side there's Brodie, Backlund, Hamonic, Bennett, Gaudreau, Quine, Monahan, Smith, Frolik, and Neal have all experienced what it takes to win an NHL playoff round against better teams than these Avs. The latter three have particularily been on some deep runs. And I'd hardly call a swashbuckler like Giordano or a student-of-the-game like Tkachuk "green"

Re: Flames fell backwards into 1st

107 points with two cakewalk games to go(though resting our stars might cost us). 2nd best goal differential in the NHL and one of the best since the 2010 Blackhawks. 4 killer forward lines and 5 killer d pairs. Extremely underrated goaltending. Top 5 in CF% all year. This is a team that should have been contending for a cup the last four years but had some stumbles along the way, now they have ironed out the kinks.

re: I don't think anyone expected this kind of season

The 2017-18 Flames expected to have 100+ points and a divisional spot. Don't forget thise were the expectations going into LAST season. This year's team is where it belong. The only surprise is that Brodie is below 40pts (he has usually been good for 40+ as Gio's partner) while gio is above 70pts (he has usually played at a 60-ish point pace with Brodie) but those two things cancel each other out. Everyone on the roster knew this was a 100+ point core that had a miserable year last year for a plethora of reasons. But they had extremely high expectations and they're actually below mine due to that little four game skid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think to get far in these playoffs, the Dome fans need to stay on Smith and Rittich's side. Knowing this team, we're probably going to concede an early first goal a lot at home.

Jeering our own goalies is part of the reason why their numbers are garbage at home. It messes with your confidence

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The Avs are who I want in the first round. They play quite a bit more wide open than Dallas, Arizona, or Minnesota. Would be an fun exciting series. They have a great 1st line but after that I don't think there's all that much there. Soderberg is OK I guess. We also have a great shutdown line and both top 4 D pairings should be able to skate with them too. I'd give the Flames the edge in most depth positions. Special teams might have a big impact though. Goaltending is pretty similar with Smith and Varlamov being two big wildcard athletic goalies who are either great or awful and Rittich and Grubauer as young guys with some promising numbers in the NHL but aren't super proven. Grubauer also has a playoff SV% of .835.

Think we steamroll them in games 1 & 2 and then they get one back game 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad