Around the NHL Thread - Found the Missing #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I don't find Gene very funny, but I completely respect that he's embraced his corniness.

One point I made about him on the mainboards a couple months back is whether or not you like his antics, he's not malicious and doesn't spread rumours or attacks players and management and you have to respect him for that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
One point I made about him on the mainboards a couple months back is whether or not you like his antics, he's not malicious and doesn't spread rumours or attacks players and management and you have to respect him for that.
Absolutely. He's quite professional when it comes to the his journalism.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
He's just a guy that wants to make you smile. The Oilers nation was a nasty place to be and he chose to do that silly thing. I think it's wonderful. We're not 6 years old, but do we have to be? He's definitely going to be, if not already, the favorite Grandpa. hahaha

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If they tank this year and maybe also the next and when the contracts of Kessler, Getzlaf and Perry are gone, they might get back on track. They already have a steady D and also Comtois and Steel in their pool. They probably won't be gone too long..
The Ducks never truly die. Welcome btw!

Reactions: Cappuccino

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
HNIC suggesting the Ducks might soon have to fire Carlyle and replace him with Eakins. A second christmas in other words.

giphy.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
HNIC suggesting the Ducks might soon have to fire Carlyle and replace him with Eakins. A second christmas in other words.

giphy.gif
Eakins has become an underrated coach, we all know Lowe was really pulling the strings when he was behind the bench in Edmonton

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Eakins has become an underrated coach, we all know Lowe was really pulling the strings when he was behind the bench in Edmonton

This is sarcasm, right? Regardless of whether Lowe was in the driver's seat or not, Eakins was a miserable coach.

Reactions: Calculon

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is sarcasm, right? Regardless of whether Lowe was in the driver's seat or not, Eakins was a miserable coach.
Was he? No coach has had any success with that team, even one of the best coaches of all time. The problem was and always has always been management and the players on the ice.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Was he? No coach has had any success with that team, even one of the best coaches of all time. The problem was and always has always been management and the players on the ice.

It's possible that we didn't see all of what he could do considering the success he's had coaching in the AHL, maybe he was just not ready yet to run an NHL team. But personally I think his tenure with the Oilers marks the absolute low point of their franchise, they lost almost twice as many games as they won. Players clearly had no respect for Eakins, he seemed totally unable to motivate the team and he didn't have exceptionally bad personnel either, the 2013-14 Oilers are arguably the deepest team they iced since drafting Hall.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's possible that we didn't see all of what he could do considering the success he's had coaching in the AHL, maybe he was just not ready yet to run an NHL team. But personally I think his tenure with the Oilers marks the absolute low point of their franchise, they lost almost twice as many games as they won. Players clearly had no respect for Eakins, he seemed totally unable to motivate the team and he didn't have exceptionally bad personnel either, the 2013-14 Oilers are arguably the deepest team they iced since drafting Hall.
During that time, it's been reported management was forcing some players to play injured. The lack of respect was likely for the entire organization

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

This is, interesting. Anyone know the last time a GM stepped in as an interim coach?

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Watching this Blues team the last two days has me thinking they’re likely to get up into the third divisional spot in the central before the end of the season. Tough first round matchup for whoever gets them. I could see them eliminating Winnipeg or Nashville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
For some reason I thought Paul Maclean still worked for the Ducks. Looks like he hasn't worked with them since 2017.
Yeah, I thought that too, but then I remembered there were rumors Eakins would get the job and that wouldn't be the case if MacLean was still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad