Around the NHL Thread - Found the Missing #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I actually thought Stolarz has showed pretty well so far in the NHL, Edmonton could have done worse.

Of course, that’s all over now for Stolarz. Poor kid

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't get it. On the surface, it just looks like Philly did Edmonton a huge favour without any real benefit to the Flyers. Especially with Elliott currently on a conditioning stint and almost back.

Maybe they think they can give him a couple games to build value and then flip him? Or perhaps they want him to be their 1B for next year and they'll immediately sign him.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
I don't get it. On the surface, it just looks like Philly did Edmonton a huge favour without any real benefit to the Flyers. Especially with Elliott currently on a conditioning stint and almost back.

Maybe they think they can give him a couple games to build value and then flip him? Or perhaps they want him to be their 1B for next year and they'll immediately sign him.

You’ve gotta think Talbot and his agent will want to test free agency. See if someone is desperate for a starter

As previously mentioned I think it has more to do with his relationship with Hart, but if it’s only for ~20 games this year I don’t see much benefit

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That gives them quite a bit more cap breathing room than if they had taken on Elliott too.
They really couldn't have taken on Elliott without telling Sekera to stop his conditioning stint. The NHL already granted a 2 game extension to the Oilers regarding Sekera's conditioning stint on the 14th, the Condors played last night and do again today.

The Oilers next game (after tonight) is Tuesday, they pretty much need to have cap space for Sekera by then. They currently need to shed just shy of 875k in AAV, had they taken Elliott back, they'd need to shed 3.55m in AAV.

So, by Monday morning, if they have not traded away at least $865,628 in AAV, they will have to waive someone (and demote them Tuesday), in order to have space to activate Sekera. Since they are carrying 8D and 13F on their roster, it is only logical that the move will involve a defenseman. Gravel only has a cap hit of 700k, which isn't enough. The most logical IMO is Petrovic, because he is most likely to be grabbed off waivers as a pending UFA. I cannot see anyone grabbing Benning or Manning off waivers with each having an additional year on their contracts.

edit: and literally as I typed this put the Oilers traded Spooner for Gagner

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Prout or Petrovic, who would you rather have?
Depends on Michael Stone. If he still has no timetable for return, I would swap Prout for Petrovic easily as I'd rather see Petrovic play if Andersson goes down. However, if Stone is returning, I would rather keep Prout as he can be buried without a cap penalty.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Can’t wait for this kid to blow up once he’s traded

Pull Your RV's career thus far has reminded me a lot of Bennett's first two seasons, except that Bennett was legitimately better and has always had more dimensions to his game than just the offense he was touted for in junior. At this point I wouldn't even trade for Jesse. I think he adds nothing to this team and would likely be a waste of a roster spot.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That’s a big oof.
To be fair, that is an absolutely stupid way of looking at trades. That's like saying we traded Kent Nilsson for Andrew Nielsen. Yes, the Eberle deal sucked, but that's really about it. Strome for Spooner is pretty meh and Spooner for Gagner, remains to be seen but at worst they draw even.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
So the Blues have moved into 3rd in the division and are now only 8 points back Nashville with 4 games in hand. It's possible that they might pass them before the season ends

What a run

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
So the Blues have moved into 3rd in the division and are now only 8 points back Nashville with 4 games in hand. It's possible that they might pass them before the season ends

What a run

They have a pretty solid roster. ROR is one the most underrated centers in the game. Good depth and a good blueline too. Binnington coming in and only losing once in regulation has been the main difference. He has a SV% of .931 and a GAA of 1.69

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
The Blues were never as bad as their start indicated. Stable goaltending is happening. And Reilly and Bozak have settled in

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Philippe Myers is a guy I’d consider swapping one of our LHD young guns with if ever one of Brodie/Hammer don’t re-sign and we’re short on the right side

Think it would fit Philly’s needs as well as they already have Ghost/Sanheim on the right, but only Provorov on the left (I’m not very high on Hagg/Morin)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
giphy.gif

That's gotta be the goal of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad