OT: Around the NHL - The Tournament Begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Vasy lets in 4 like Murray did. Our offense should have been able to match what their offense did

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Devils, how's that extra 24 hours "to rest" Hall and others working out for ya??!?!

Yikes. Yeah, that might have been a mistake.

First thing I thought. They chose to play Tampa instead of potentially the Pens, and now they're getting stomped.

It was especially weird given their success this season against the Pens. If there was one team they should have wanted to play out of Tampa, Pittsburgh, or Washington, it should have been the Pens.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
First thing I thought. They chose to play Tampa instead of potentially the Pens, and now they're getting stomped.

It was especially weird given their success this season against the Pens. If there was one team they should have wanted to play out of Tampa, Pittsburgh, or Washington, it should have been the Pens.

Must have thought Vasy was worn down enough to where they can take advantage right away. Between that, sweeping them, and the defense not looking the same since getting McDonagh...that was their best shot.

Should have at least tried to pass CBJ and play the Caps. Pens and Lightning are proven playoff teams. Anything can happen with the Caps. Struggled against a young Leafs team with their speed, similar to how the Devils play.

Also shouldnt have sat anyone after the run they went on. Thats not really showing confidence in your players.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Vasy lets in 4 like Murray did. Our offense should have been able to match what their offense did

Yep...the thing is that the stronger teams playing lesser teams at home should dominate...even if the games are close, they’ll pull it out...

Makes you wonder about the Pens...even last year, we beat CBJ soundly at home the first two games...

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yep...the thing is that the stronger teams playing lesser teams at home should dominate...even if the games are close, they’ll pull it out...

Makes you wonder about the Pens...even last year, we beat CBJ soundly at home the first two games...

It... was... one... game....

Reactions: Clare2904

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It... was... one... game....

Didn't we lose one of the home games versus the Rangers in 2016 before taking both in New York?

Of course, Zatkoff was in nets for both of those, but still. I don't think you can read too much into the Pens' chances based on how they did the first two home games.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Didn't we lose one of the home games versus the Rangers in 2016 before taking both in New York?

Of course, Zatkoff was in nets for both of those, but still. I don't think you can read too much into the Pens' chances based on how they did the first two home games.

Yes, they did and went on to win both games on the road at MSG...this year feels different....1) they haven’t been as dominant; 2) Murray hasn’t been as dominant, and 3) they’re not playing a solid goalie....teams have figured out how to slow the Pens (hey, play like Ottawa)...in addition, what’s concerning is that they’re going out of their way to get hits against Philly...that takes them out of their game....Malkin today saying they need to be physical with the Flyers...they don’t need to be physical, they need to be faster, outplay them and get to the pucks first....I’m worried the team will be looking for retribution against Giroux...they can’t go off the rails again like 2012...they’ll lose this series

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Tampa are frightening to watch. No way that, if we were to get there, we'd beat them.

Sounds like a lot of what other teams have said over the last 8 series but we did beat them.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

I get what hes saying about being up 2-0 , but I'll call it as more of a coincidence we were handed one of our usual bad luck / bad bounce games this early on instead of it coming after being up 3-1 in the series or even the 2nd round. We always due for a few of those in the playoffs.

It happening this early has some thinking of the back and forth wins/losses we saw this past month again.

Two shots by Hornqvist that usually go in any other game. Elliott was rattled, but then came the horrible call on ZAR giving them the lead. And early in the 2nd the puck bounces off Letangs chest and goes in. All of that at least gave Elliott confidence for one game. Hes still a capable goalie..when bailed out like that its not a shock he made the most of it.

We've seen these types of games before. Its the timing of it that probably have some worried. Nashville and Tampa will have those types of games in these playoffs too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yes, they did and went on to win both games on the road at MSG...this year feels different....1) they haven’t been as dominant; 2) Murray hasn’t been as dominant, and 3) they’re not playing a solid goalie....teams have figured out how to slow the Pens (hey, play like Ottawa)...in addition, what’s concerning is that they’re going out of their way to get hits against Philly...that takes them out of their game....Malkin today saying they need to be physical with the Flyers...they don’t need to be physical, they need to be faster, outplay them and get to the pucks first....I’m worried the team will be looking for retribution against Giroux...they can’t go off the rails again like 2012...they’ll lose this series

We lost 4-2 to the Rags. We essentially lost 4 - 1 to the Flyers.

I don’t know why everyone is freaking out. If the Flyers go up 3 - 1 , I’d understand.

Also, you must’ve not watched 2012. Because they absolutely collapsed every time Philly went up.

Reactions: Turin

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think best case scenario for us right now is that we beat Philly in 6 with no injuries, take out a battered CBJ team (who's content with just winning their first playoff series), and then take on a battered Tampa team.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
That would have been huge for Toronto. You knew the Bruins were going to score after that.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Weren't Leafs fans telling us for the entire regular season that their team is legit?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The D is the Pens biggest weakness year after year but I would take the Pens D over the Leafs’ without hesitating.

Reactions: Andy99 and BHD

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY

Yeah, I still don't get it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We lost 4-2 to the Rags. We essentially lost 4 - 1 to the Flyers.

I don’t know why everyone is freaking out. If the Flyers go up 3 - 1 , I’d understand.

Also, you must’ve not watched 2012. Because they absolutely collapsed every time Philly went up.

I watched the entire series...as you say, when the Flyers took the lead, the Pens got tight, which led to them not scoring back, which led to them going out of their way to try to outhit them...saw something similar and worrying last game...just hope that’s not going to be a pattern....they need to get a lead

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I don't have a problem with Hainsey taking matters into his own hands, even if it puts the Leafs a man down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad