OT: Around the NHL | Summertime Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think Stamkos did the same before he stayed with Tampa. I think he's just seeing what is out there.

But it would be funny...

They fire all the clowns, hire Lou, hire Trotz who just won a cup and Tavares is like see ya after things could actually finally get better, lmao.

Although I seriously hope he never goes to Dallas. **** Dallas. Booing us because your GM is our GM's *****.

Regarding Trotz, don't know how legit this is, but

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The board having issues is something I expect in the 90's with **** servers. To have this as an issue in 2018, is so freaking hilarious especially since this place has sold out a few times to people with more money and yet this is still thing.

Jeez.

The fact they moved to these new servers to avoid this very issue is kind of laughable. If anything, it's been worse since the move.

I've tried posting on here all day today and either my post doesn't show, or it takes two hours to show, disappears, then shows again.

Reactions: OnMyOwn

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I don't understand the point of the Hurricanes - Flames trade. The Canes' strong suit is their D, so why are they trading centre depth, which is their weakness, to improve it? Were they struggling to sign Lindholm and Hanifin or something?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't know who Tavares is talking to but I kinda think staying with NYI might actually be his best option if they can run what they already have sensibly. Dobson/Barzal/Wahlstrom is one hell of a supporting cast.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Both teams probably felt the need for a shakeup. The Flames underachieved last season and the Canes missed the playoffs (again). The Canes won the trade, but I'm not sure how much better either team got. What's the gap between Hamilton and Hanifin? Does Lindholm improve the Flames' forward group?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't understand the point of the Hurricanes - Flames trade. The Canes' strong suit is their D, so why are they trading centre depth, which is their weakness, to improve it? Were they struggling to sign Lindholm and Hanifin or something?

I don't think Lindholm wanted to be there. I get the suspicion that he will sign for around 4.5m/yr or around that mark (maybe 5), but apparently he wanted around 5+ to stay with Carolina, which seems like one of those "I don't want to be here anymore because this ship is sinking, so I am going to price myself out of town" type of situations.

Reactions: Bryan Rust

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This should be HF's new banner.
I1serx3.png

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
This should be HF's new banner.
I1serx3.png

I love that your reply to my post is the newest post in this thread, yet it is on top and there are several older posts below it lol...

This is so far beyond broken I can't take it any longer. I never seen a board broken like this. I can't even click in the message box to post a comment. Random users names are popping up saying new posts are in threads and it's not even true.

I never saw anything like this before hahah..

I'll be back when these boards are out of the twilight zone.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Capitals said they would gladly take him back if the price is right, lol.

I'm pretty sure the CBA blocks the ability to trade and get a player you traded away back within a year..

I'd imagine the same goes for this. You can't trade a player, have them get bought out, and re-sign them, right?Otherwise it's Cap/contract circumvention.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm pretty sure the CBA blocks the ability to trade and get a player you traded away back within a year..

I'd imagine the same goes for this. You can't trade a player, have them get bought out, and re-sign them, right?Otherwise it's Cap/contract circumvention.
I think the CBA thing is that - You can't buy out a player, then re-sign him to a lesser deal when you're the same team buying him out and re-signing him.

What I think the loophole is here is that he was legitimately traded, if the new team wants to buy him out, I don't see why he would be banned from returning at say, 1m/yr, because now the Avalanche are paying him once and then Caps are. I think the issue with the CBA was that a single team can't pay a player twice, essentially.

So I think those idiots might actually be in the clear.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I think the CBA thing is that - You can't buy out a player, then re-sign him to a lesser deal when you're the same team buying him out and re-signing him.

What I think the loophole is here is that he was legitimately traded, if the new team wants to buy him out, I don't see why he would be banned from returning at say, 1m/yr, because now the Avalanche are paying him once and then Caps are. I think the issue with the CBA was that a single team can't pay a player twice, essentially.

So I think those idiots might actually be in the clear.

While the player is protected (they are getting paid), it's still salary cap circumvention.

We could trade Crosby, then let him get bought out, then re-sign at league minimum and have like $7mil in salary cap left.

Not to mention the re-sign deal, on paper, would be waaaay below market value thereby devaluing all other players which the NHLPA specifically hates.

Just...No way this would be approved. If so....we need to trade a couple guys to Ari so they can buyout and hit cap floor and we can re-sign for less to have enough space for Tavares.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
While the player is protected (they are getting paid), it's still salary cap circumvention.

We could trade Crosby, then let him get bought out, then re-sign at league minimum and have like $7mil in salary cap left.

Not to mention the re-sign deal, on paper, would be waaaay below market value thereby devaluing all other players which the NHLPA specifically hates.

Just...No way this would be approved. If so....we need to trade a couple guys to Ari so they can buyout and hit cap floor and we can re-sign for less to have enough space for Tavares.
Well, when they are bought out they get put on waivers. So if you trade actual good players and they get bought out, they would just get claimed.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Well, when they are bought out they get put on waivers. So if you trade actual good players and they get bought out, they would just get claimed.

This is from cap friendly...Not sure if accurate still:

Waivers

A player can only be bought out after clearing unconditional waivers. A waiver-claim by another team pre-empts the buyout process. If a player has a no-movement clause, the player can reject the option of waivers and proceed to the buyout process.

Emphasis added. Seems like clearing waivers isn't always required. Especially since most good players will have NMC. They would have to waive initially for trade, then negotiate clause with new team in order to have valid NMC in place to skip waivers on a buyout.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

You'd have to find that wording in the CBA though.

I think the hiccup is that the teams colluded to do it for one and that the trade was made that way. If the Caps had no clue they were going to buy out Orpik and he's now bought out by the Avs, I think he's free to re-sign with anyone but the Avs in that scenario.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You'd have to find that wording in the CBA though.

I think the hiccup is that the teams colluded to do it for one and that the trade was made that way. If the Caps had no clue they were going to buy out Orpik and he's now bought out by the Avs, I think he's free to re-sign with anyone but the Avs in that scenario.

This is correct.

And, I really don't see how you're going to 'prove' collusion.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
john carlson deal is blowing my mind

Why?

I posted this on the main boards:

"As others have said, they pretty much had to give him that length in order for his AAV to start with an 8
If they wanted to give him 6 yrs I bet he was asking for $9M and he likely gets it on the open market."

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
Why?

I posted this on the main boards:

"As others have said, they pretty much had to give him that length in order for his AAV to start with an 8
If they wanted to give him 6 yrs I bet he was asking for $9M and he likely gets it on the open market."
fair enough, but in my limited worldview thinking of john carlson as a 9mm player is difficult to comprehend

Reactions: SouthGeorge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad