OT: Around the NHL | Summertime Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Sabres look to be headed in the direction, but they're still a few players away. If a person were to project where they finish, 5th in the Atlantic sounds reasonable. Clearly, they aren't in the same category as the better teams in the division. However, the moves should put them ahead of Detroit and Ottawa (and maybe Montreal).

Reactions: Tom Hanks

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
I think the Sabres will do very well next year in comparison to their last few years. They added more depth, actual depth to that roster. Housley is still a wild card to me, but with that roster, a more seasoned coach could do something very interesting with it. That defense is still kind of a disaster, as well as that goaltending, but that forward depth is headed in the right direction.
Agreed except for their D, i mean, they just got a diamond that could lead the way by example, if they can follow that of course. Dahlin will probably be their best on D in no time, maybe right from the start which does indeed say a lot about their D. They just need to build around him, install a winning mentality, Risto's not bad and their +/- might be more of a reflection of their team sucking as a whole. They do have good vets like Pominville (should be gone soon at 35 though) but Pouliot just is a sucker for goals, not a playmaker and not much goals anymore anyway (13g 6a), Eichel is still somewhat of a mistery to me, wtf is wrong with this guy? Their top O and D guys need to step up and i hope Dahlin shows them the way 'cause their +/- really sucked in comparison to guys with less ice time. This could turn around if Dahlin not only bring top talent but also leadership which in turns could bring a winning mentality.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Agreed except for their D, i mean, they just got a diamond that could lead the way by example, if they can follow that of course. Dahlin will probably be their best on D in no time, maybe right from the start which does indeed say a lot about their D. They just need to build around him, install a winning mentality, Risto's not bad and their +/- might be more of a reflection of their team sucking as a whole. They do have good vets like Pominville (should be gone soon at 35 though) but Pouliot just is a sucker for goals, not a playmaker and not much goals anymore anyway (13g 6a), Eichel is still somewhat of a mistery to me, wtf is wrong with this guy? Their top O and D guys need to step up and i hope Dahlin shows them the way 'cause their +/- really sucked in comparison to guys with less ice time. This could turn around if Dahlin not only bring top talent but also leadership which in turns could bring a winning mentality.
Thing is housely didn't even really make Risto any better so I remain skeptical that he is actually a good development coach.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think the Sabres will do very well next year in comparison to their last few years. They added more depth, actual depth to that roster. Housley is still a wild card to me, but with that roster, a more seasoned coach could do something very interesting with it. That defense is still kind of a disaster, as well as that goaltending, but that forward depth is headed in the right direction.

Really? I don't know. I'm thinking if they couldn't get er done with Bylsma I don't think they can get it done at all
:sarcasm:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sabres should be better, but it's hard to say. They did get some talent, but they also traded away O'Reilly who is a stud. You just never know how the mix will shake out.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Risto isn't bad, but he's had to be the #1 guy on some terrible Buffalo teams.

The main reason I don't like him is because he loses his shit on other players when his team is down (see: hit on Guentzel).

Reactions: Tom Hanks

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Risto isn't bad, but he's had to be the #1 guy on some terrible Buffalo teams.

The main reason I don't like him is because he loses his **** on other players when his team is down (see: hit on Guentzel).
Exactly, Dahlin should make him (and the rest if he leads by example) better by being a better player (shelter) with a better demeanor (i don't know if Risto will follow that though).

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Poor wings fans. They are already at max cap with 13 F (+ 1LTIR) and 6D :laugh:

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Franzen will go on LTIR if he's still alive, but yeah, their cap situation sucks for such a garbage team.

Yeah thats including Franzen being on LTIR. Amazing that they can be that bad. Half of their team have NMC’s or NTC’s (just about all being full NTC’s too)

Reactions: EightyOne

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Helm, Abdelkader, Glendening, Ericsson... Those are guys that will have to be moved if the Wings actually want to play their prospects.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Helm, Abdelkader, Glendening, Ericsson... Those are guys that will have to be moved if the Wings actually want to play their prospects.

Helm has an interesting NTC. He can be traded if he’s not in the top 9 forwards in ice time or if Wings don’t make the playoffs. That doesn’t kick in until next summer though. It’s a full NTC for now.

Abdelkader has the same terms but his doesn’t start until 2020/21 and has a full NTC for now.

Ericsson can only be traded to 11 teams and Glendening doesn’t have a NTC.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
NBC's hockey schedule going where it hasn't been much before

Less traditional rivalry games, more overall team exposure.

Do you guys think this will help grow the sport?

Can a non-hockey fan in the west be converted by watching a Tampa Bay vs Nashville game more than a Chicago vs Boston game?

I like the extra exposure. I'm just not sold that it will matter.

It's a good thing because rivalry night was getting crazy old and some pretty significant stretches were made on which teams were rivalries.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think it will matter in terms of league popularity but it's definitely a win for us fans sick of watching NYR/Detroit/Chicago/Boston ad infinitum.

Really? This is total bs PR crap....I just counted and Chicago still has 18 games, only one less than last year, and WSH has 18 too, both several more than the Pens...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol, how the f*** does the Detroit ownership group sit there and think "Yeah, that's cool, we totally suck but being #1 in salary is at least #1 in something!" is a way to do business?

1. Their coach is horrendous.
2. Their roster is horrendous.
3. Their prospect pool is hilarious.
4. They aren't a playoff team anymore and haven't been for multiple seasons for the first time in DECADES.
5. They have NTC's to players that have no business being players with an NTC, only Yzerman does that shit, where 90% of his team has a NMC/NTC on their contracts.

Lol Detroit, I let out a school girl giggle when I see Wings fans still choked about 2009.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
They have some players to get excited about, but I agree with the rest of that. They're so poorly managed that it's hard to say if they'll ever be competitive again.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Lol, how the **** does the Detroit ownership group sit there and think "Yeah, that's cool, we totally suck but being #1 in salary is at least #1 in something!" is a way to do business?

1. Their coach is horrendous.
2. Their roster is horrendous.
3. Their prospect pool is hilarious.
4. They aren't a playoff team anymore and haven't been for multiple seasons for the first time in DECADES.
5. They have NTC's to players that have no business being players with an NTC, only Yzerman does that ****, where 90% of his team has a NMC/NTC on their contracts.

Lol Detroit, I let out a school girl giggle when I see Wings fans still choked about 2009.

I live about an hour away from Detroit.
Once Mr. Illitch died, I'm not sure his family/son have the same vested interest that he did.

His son took the easy way out: letting a guy who has GM'd the team for 20 yrs to continue to do so. I mean after all he's been relatively successful when you look at his overall track record.
Problem is his past 5 yrs have been atrocious, and that's a generous verb to apply. As someone outlined above, the NTC's he gave out were inexcusable. You can have a couple of them sure, but they better be to your superstars. Instead he handed them out like candy not fully understanding the ramifications.

The son basically is like "yes spend to the cap so we have a competitive team". We they aren't gonna be competitive for awhile and they aren't even tanking right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->