Around the NHL Summer 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If he wants 9.25, you absolutely let him leave. Not even a second thought about it. They have now saddled themselves with an anchor of a contract, and hurt chances of a better team going forward.
That imo would leave them with no option but to rebuild. Sell McDavid and Draisatl and start over. Maybe it's the right thing to do - but it would never happen.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That imo would leave them with no option but to rebuild. Sell McDavid and Draisatl and start over. Maybe it's the right thing to do - but it would never happen.
Sounds like Edmonton has already embraced the Sunk Cost Fallacy then.

(I agree that they'd never rebuild with McDavid and Draisaitl in their prime. It just feels like they've fully committed to a really poor plan.)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Sounds like Edmonton has already embraced the Sunk Cost Fallacy then.

(I agree that they'd never rebuild with McDavid and Draisaitl in their prime. It just feels like they've fully committed to a really poor plan.)
It's like not packing parachutes and lifting off in a plane without the fuel to reach the destination.

That said - things will sort themselves out for both sides when Yzerman trades a couple of our surplus d-men for Draisatl.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Why, is Darnell Nurse the only blueliner out there? They could have acquired a number of guys instead of Nurse if over 8 is a must for him. He is simply not good enough for that kind of money.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Why, is Darnell Nurse the only blueliner out there? They could have acquired a number of guys instead of Nurse if over 8 is a must for him. He is simply not good enough for that kind of money.

Over the past three years his numbers aren't exactly far off from Pietrangelo's while being five years younger. They're also not far off from what Seth Jones and Thomas Chabot have put up. Giving him that sort of deal relies on him maintaining his numbers from the past few years, but that's a bet we're seeing more teams have to take with guys.

And maybe Nurse was the only guy out there. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Holland contacted the major UFA D this summer and was told no. Outside of Taveras who was the last major UFA to sign with any Canadian club?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The Nurse contract blows, even if 16-20-36 is a darned good stat line.
And, he was +27
Next best defense was +5.
Still feels like he was overpaid by $1.5M.
But you're getting him for his 26-34 years.
At least if you're overpaying, you're overpaying mostly for his best.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
LA Kings picked 8th, 42nd, 59th and 84th.
They got Clarke, Pinelli, Helenius and Kirsanov.
Every one of those guys is a guy I like.

Last year I liked: Byfield, Grans, Chromiak.
The year before: Turcotte, Kaliyev, Fagemo.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
My jaw is still agape at this.

55 games and this kid wants Artemi Panarin money.

I'd trade his ass right now to NHL purgatory (Buffalo) and let them fight this battle.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
55 games and this kid wants Artemi Panarin money.

He wants a shorter deal so he can bolt at first crack of UFA. Or at least cash in max dollars.

Guerin seems determined to try to massage out his cap hit over more term but that doesn't look to be possible with this guy.

Local writers predict 5 years at $9 million as the price to get it done.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
He wants a shorter deal so he can bolt at first crack of UFA. Or at least cash in max dollars.

Guerin seems determined to try to massage out his cap hit over more term but that doesn't look to be possible with this guy.

Local writers predict 5 years at $9 million as the price to get it done.
And it’s not like they have a team that will be all that competitive, either. So he wants Minny to make it worth his while

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Which guys?

There are lots of guys they could pursue. Each team has 5-7 blueliners X 31 other teams. Many of those teams have guys that are good that might be willing to be moved for items. You are making it sound like overpaying by 2 mil per is sound cap management. It isn't. I thought maybe Edmonton were going to turn the corner, but having 9.25 on an only ok #1 defender is going to hurt what depth they have later. They already are an under performing team against the cap, and now they made it much worse.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Over the past three years his numbers aren't exactly far off from Pietrangelo's while being five years younger. They're also not far off from what Seth Jones and Thomas Chabot have put up. Giving him that sort of deal relies on him maintaining his numbers from the past few years, but that's a bet we're seeing more teams have to take with guys.

And maybe Nurse was the only guy out there. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Holland contacted the major UFA D this summer and was told no. Outside of Taveras who was the last major UFA to sign with any Canadian club?

Watching both of them, there is a large gap to me in their actual performance. Nurse is good, Pietrangelo is really good, however neither is worth Hedman in money, even with inflation.

Reactions: Winger98

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
There are lots of guys they could pursue. Each team has 5-7 blueliners X 31 other teams. Many of those teams have guys that are good that might be willing to be moved for items. You are making it sound like overpaying by 2 mil per is sound cap management. It isn't. I thought maybe Edmonton were going to turn the corner, but having 9.25 on an only ok #1 defender is going to hurt what depth they have later. They already are an under performing team against the cap, and now they made it much worse.
The imaginary good player available via trade is by far my favorite player. He really does fit any kind of need a team has, and does it cheaper and better than real players.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Holland is doing the same thing all of these other bad GMs are doing (Bowman, Benning, Adams) - he is signing 'not my problem contracts' because, by the time the contract is truly hurting the team, it won't be his (their) problem since they won't be employed by the team any longer.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah they are firmly in the retool territory until the Suter and Parise deals leave the books.

That’s part of why they should look at moving Kaprizov if he’s going to be a pain to sign. The guy isn’t going to want to stick around after a 3 or 4 year deal and right now he has tremendous value.

The guy is an exciting player to watch but is he really worth 9+ million? I doubt it. He wasn’t even a point per game last season.

Reactions: golffuul

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Holland is doing the same thing all of these other bad GMs are doing (Bowman, Benning, Adams) - he is signing 'not my problem contracts' because, by the time the contract is truly hurting the team, it won't be his (their) problem since they won't be employed by the team any longer.

That’s because Holland is a bad GM. We all know this and have learned to expect these moves.

Also look at the Pionk deal. 5.8 mil for an RFA defenseman that is a legit top pair guy. THAT is a good deal by a smart GM.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
That’s because Holland is a bad GM. We all know this and have learned to expect these moves.

Also look at the Pionk deal. 5.8 mil for an RFA defenseman that is a legit top pair guy. THAT is a good deal by a smart GM.
I agree that this is a pretty decent deal. I'm curious as to where he slots in, with Schmidt being there and Heinola making his way to the big club soon. The Jets adding Schmidt and Dillon will help a ton, this year. They really lacked defensive depth after the Trouba/Myers/Chiarot fiasco from a year or two ago.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I agree that this is a pretty decent deal. I'm curious as to where he slots in, with Schmidt being there and Heinola making his way to the big club soon. The Jets adding Schmidt and Dillon will help a ton, this year. They really lacked defensive depth after the Trouba/Myers/Chiarot fiasco from a year or two ago.

I’m more curious about why they even added Nate Schmidt when they should have been looking to add a guy that plays a steadier defensive game and that was cheaper.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I’m more curious about why they even added Nate Schmidt when they should have been looking to add a guy that plays a steadier defensive game and that was cheaper.
Yeah. I'm not sure what Schmidt's game is, considering how poorly he played last year. But he did well with Washington and Vegas. So who knows. Chevy loves his mid-tier guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad