Around the NHL Summer 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Bench... you wanted Wallstedt. I don't forget. There was one of us stumping for Cossa. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I remember. I'm excited Wallstedt will be in Minnesota. Here's the first draft of a letter I'm about to mail out.

Dear Jesper,

I feel like I can call you Jesper because you and me are so alike. I'd like to meet you one day, it would be great to have a skate. I know I can't butterfly as fast as you but I think you'd be impressed with my speed. I love your hair, you skate fast. Did you have a good relationship with your father? Me neither. These are all things we can talk about and more. I know you have not been getting my letters because I know you would write back if you did. I hope you write back this time, and we can become good friends. I am sure our relationship would be a real shutout!

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I remember. I'm excited Wallstedt will be in Minnesota. Here's the first draft of a letter I'm about to mail out.

Dear Jesper,

I feel like I can call you Jesper because you and me are so alike. I'd like to meet you one day, it would be great to have a skate. I know I can't butterfly as fast as you but I think you'd be impressed with my speed. I love your hair, you skate fast. Did you have a good relationship with your father? Me neither. These are all things we can talk about and more. I know you have not been getting my letters because I know you would write back if you did. I hope you write back this time, and we can become good friends. I am sure our relationship would be a real shutout!
I know this is all in jest. But still... :laugh:

creep-mode-activated.jpg

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Fair enough. But you're talking about the coolest goaltending prospect since Peter Sidorkiewicz. I hate to break this to you, but I don't know that your correspondence has even made it through his network of security personnel. I mean...

one-does-not-simply-hear-from-jesper.jpg

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
The path to winning can vary from team to team but regardless, it ain't for everybody...

At the NHL level this description of someone like MacKinnon isn't surprising. Especially for someone who has experienced a lot of tough playoff losing.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

Dear Jesper,

LOL...best thing I've seen all day on HFboards :sarcasm:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The path to winning can vary from team to team but regardless, it ain't for everybody...

At the NHL level this description of someone like MacKinnon isn't surprising. Especially for someone who has experienced a lot of tough playoff losing.

His treatment of teammates sounds psychopathic. There are plenty of guys who are/were great at the sport without being total shitheads.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

:thumbu: thanks for the informative post. Lots of good stuff, but also

he may wanna be a bit more of a go with the flow in the playoffs (returning passes that are 15cm "off', "not to his liking") = WTH?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Dear Jesper,

Did you just write a love letter to Jesper Wallstedt?

Oh god, there's stickers.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Fair enough. But you're talking about the coolest goaltending prospect since Peter Sidorkiewicz. I hate to break this to you, but I don't know that your correspondence has even made it through his network of security personnel. I mean...

one-does-not-simply-hear-from-jesper.jpg

Yeah, he knows that he hasn't gotten it... because if he had he would write back.

He's a first round goalie prospect, jkuts... do you know how rare those are in the NHL

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
:thumbu: thanks for the informative post. Lots of good stuff, but also

he may wanna be a bit more of a go with the flow in the playoffs (returning passes that are 15cm "off', "not to his liking") = WTH?

How many possessions of the Wings die because they can't complete more than a pass or two before missing wildly on one/putting in skates/etc.? And how smooth was that 08 team with its passing?

I totally get his being a bit fanatical with guys hitting the stick with their passes.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
How many possessions of the Wings die because they can't complete more than a pass or two before missing wildly on one/putting in skates/etc.? And how smooth was that 08 team with its passing?

I totally get his being a bit fanatical with guys hitting the stick with their passes.
Sure, I get the fanaticism, mostly justified. But in the playoffs, I'd think (especially after their 2nd rd. loss), that maybe just lighten up a smidge perhaps? A game of inches, but also often times they won't get a 2nd, much less 3rd chance...then boom, lost possession, no SOG, no scoring chance even & puck is headed the other way. 1 & dones....we know all about that & were lucky to even do that many nights.

5yrs since Datsyuk departure. I'm expecting us to look like a legitimate ~20th-23rd OA NHL team this year. Still a ways to go, but much improved GAA, HDCA%, HDCF%, PP & PK, 5on5 etc.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Honestly that is a bit far and if they come up short for the next couple years, I think you're going to hear a different narrative. I dig the commitment to himself and what he believes is the right way. They have won what 2 playoffs series, take a lap champ is what I would be thinking. One of the guys that just left there for St. Louis had two cups, do you think it is because Toews was running around slapping food out of peoples hands...

I think that he is on a sweetheart contract also probably helps this as it is helping everyone get more. Now he has said he will consider it again, but just curious how that evolves. I like MacKinnon, he is a lot of fun to watch, but I am pretty concerned whenever I hear things like this. Demand excellence fine, but you have to be an egomaniac to think you should actually have some of this control. So there the Jordan comparison makes some sense, one of the often forgotten parts of Jordan is he actually did his winning when the league was kind of at it's weakest point in the last 40 years, something that I have always found curious in terms of the people that worship at his alter. 90's NBA basketball kind of sucked compared to the times around it.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Honestly that is a bit far and if they come up short for the next couple years, I think you're going to hear a different narrative. I dig the commitment to himself and what he believes is the right way. They have won what 2 playoffs series, take a lap champ is what I would be thinking. One of the guys that just left there for St. Louis had two cups, do you think it is because Toews was running around slapping food out of peoples hands...

I think that he is on a sweetheart contract also probably helps this as it is helping everyone get more. Now he has said he will consider it again, but just curious how that evolves. I like MacKinnon, he is a lot of fun to watch, but I am pretty concerned whenever I hear things like this. Demand excellence fine, but you have to be an egomaniac to think you should actually have some of this control. So there the Jordan comparison makes some sense, one of the often forgotten parts of Jordan is he actually did his winning when the league was kind of at it's weakest point in the last 40 years, something that I have always found curious in terms of the people that worship at his alter. 90's NBA basketball kind of sucked compared to the times around it.

Fun Fact: NHL Hockey was the #3 ranked sport in 1990-1993. '94 & after is when NBA caught up.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Fun Fact: NHL Hockey was the #3 ranked sport in 1990-1993. '94 & after is when NBA caught up.

There is a reason people talk about the Dream Team and how important that was a lot.

I wasn't really talking about tv ratings though, I was just pointing out talent wise the 90s to early 00s is easily the worst era of NBA basketball of my lifetime.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Sure, I get the fanaticism, mostly justified. But in the playoffs, I'd think (especially after their 2nd rd. loss), that maybe just lighten up a smidge perhaps? A game of inches, but also often times they won't get a 2nd, much less 3rd chance...then boom, lost possession, no SOG, no scoring chance even & puck is headed the other way. 1 & dones....we know all about that & were lucky to even do that many nights.

5yrs since Datsyuk departure. I'm expecting us to look like a legitimate ~20th-23rd OA NHL team this year. Still a ways to go, but much improved GAA, HDCA%, HDCF%, PP & PK, 5on5 etc.

I think part of it might be losing getting old. After the Avs were eliminated he made some comment about how he's been in the league 8 years and hasn't won a thing yet. The food thing was what struck me as kinda nuts. These guys burn calories like crazy and there have been more than one report of guys working to just maintain weight during the season...if they want some actual pasta with a carbonara sauce then they should be able to just have their damn pasta.

I'm not sure how you change that locker room dynamic at this point, though. Maybe the right coach, but it has to be someone with some clout. Maybe Sutter. Quenville.. Trotz. Torts. Someone with some winning and some history behind them to just step in and say, "nah, this is crap. We're doing it this way." I wonder how much having Devellano and Bowman around maybe kept some craziness in check before the Wings won in 97.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Holy cow, ok, let's see if we can get this train back on track...

I think that he is on a sweetheart contract also probably helps this as it is helping everyone get more. Now he has said he will consider it again, but just curious how that evolves. I like MacKinnon, he is a lot of fun to watch, but I am pretty concerned whenever I hear things like this. Demand excellence fine, but you have to be an egomaniac to think you should actually have some of this control.

Yeah, I read that and I honestly didn't bat much of an eye about it. But, does it necessarily "work"? I don't know. I think it's important to have an emotional leader. And to confuse things further, sometimes maniacal people win. I would only hope that for Colorado's sake that what was described above is perhaps a natural and accepted (at least, within the confines of that team) evolution of the way they communicate after years of losing. Otherwise, like you said, the narrative on him will be very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad