Around the NHL Summer 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Buffalo is the one holding that up though. And they are trying to trade 2019-2020 Jack Eichel, not 2020-21 Eichel with a neck that needs surgery.

That team is such a mickey mouse organization.

Have you also been following the latest news with Pegula's other team, the Bills?

He wants the taxpayers of Buffalo to pay for a shiny new stadium and if they don't, welp, I'll just move the team to Austin.

Bills seek new Orchard Park stadium costing at least $1.1B – paid for by public

In fact, it’s one of the largest asks for public money in pro sports stadium negotiations: Pegula Sports and Entertainment, the team’s owners, have pitched a $1.5 billion proposal for a new stadium in Orchard Park and to help cover some renovation costs to the Pegulas' NHL Sabres arena in downtown Buffalo.

The public would provide an unprecedented 100%, according to multiple sources who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the high sensitivity of the early stage of negotiations.

Billionaires and asking for public handouts. Name a more iconic duo.

EDIT: Better article link.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You and all Wings goalie prospects.

Thank goodness that can be a thing now. This organization has been a goaltending desert for too long. Howard and Mrazek both had exciting starts but failed to progress beyond serviceable. And those are the only two even worth writing about in 15 years.

But even my goalie greed can't match that of these owners trying to get free stadiums.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well yah, De Grasse isn't running with the entire weight of the Edmonton Oilers on his back.

Pictured: Connor McDavid and Ken Holland

yoda-luke2.jpg

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Have you also been following the latest news with Pegula's other team, the Bills?

He wants the taxpayers of Buffalo to pay for a shiny new stadium and if they don't, welp, I'll just move the team to Austin.

Well there's no state income taxes in Texas. That should help the Pegulas maintain their lifestyle.

Bills ownership is accustomed to a certain 'lifestyle' that could hurt its NFL franchise

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Buffalo is the one holding that up though. And they are trying to trade 2019-2020 Jack Eichel, not 2020-21 Eichel with a neck that needs surgery.

That team is such a mickey mouse organization.
Totally agree. Buffalo was stupid not to have realized halfway through a 16-week rehab stint that Eichel's neck wasn't getting any better and then tried to at least salvage the player so their team could be even mildly competitive for the coming season. But to double down on their position and then demand a nonsensical trade value for a player who, until he gets the surgery, can't play hockey, is just untold levels of insanity. I understand treating players like assets, but this is beyond the pale.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think it's purely a bluff or negotiation tactic.

If he actually did that, he would have to sell or re-locate the Sabres as well. Because the entire city of Buffalo would riot and hate him forever.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

If he actually did that, he would have to sell or re-locate the Sabres as well. Because the entire city of Buffalo would riot and hate him forever.

It's always a bluff until it isn't (ask Oakland and St. Louis), but that's not the point. The point is he's a billionaire tightass looking for handouts on the backs of blue collar Buffalo citizens so it's not surprising his NHL franchise is, as Ogee said, "mickey mouse."

Or as one employee put it (thanks for the link, Ogee):

“What that told me,” a PSE employee said, “is I’m getting laid off before they cancel that family trip to Tahiti.”

It's not surprising Eichel is pulling the ripcord from this family.

Reactions: Konnan511

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Houston could use an NHL franchise, just saying.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Houston could use an NHL franchise, just saying.

What a mess they have going there. I was able to obtain this correspondence from Aaron Rodgers to Randall Cobb.

Dear Randall,

If you’re reading this, you’ve gotten out of Houston. And if you’ve come this far, maybe you’re willing to come a little further. You remember the name of the town, don’t you? I could use a good man to help me get my project on wheels. I’ll keep an eye out for you and the football ready. Remember, Randall. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. I will be hoping that this letter finds you, and finds you well.

Your friend,
Aaron

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
What a mess they have going there. I was able to obtain this correspondence from Aaron Rodgers to Randall Cobb.

Dear Randall,

If you’re reading this, you’ve gotten out of Houston. And if you’ve come this far, maybe you’re willing to come a little further. You remember the name of the town, don’t you? I could use a good man to help me get my project on wheels. I’ll keep an eye out for you and the football ready. Remember, Randall. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. I will be hoping that this letter finds you, and finds you well.

Your friend,
Aaron

inb4 Shefty reports Rodgers/Cobb demanding a trade to the Zihuatanejo Marlins. Asking price set at one bucket o’ suds

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So we're claiming that Green Bay, Wisconsin is the warm place with no memory? And that Cobb crawled through a river of Texans and came out Packers on the other side?

People have some strange analogies here... :laugh:

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Here’s 32 Thoughts | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

111 minute podcast on all 32 teams across the league and only 30 seconds devoted to the Red Wings.

For a year or two, all I seemed to hear on general NHL Podcasts that I listen to was how laughable the cap situation was. Now, it seems like the team is in a position where its not laughable anymore, but not exciting enough to people to give it much attention. Has anyone else noticed the same thing on podcasts or other general NHL media that they consume?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Thank goodness that can be a thing now. This organization has been a goaltending desert for too long. Howard and Mrazek both had exciting starts but failed to progress beyond serviceable. And those are the only two even worth writing about in 15 years.

But even my goalie greed can't match that of these owners trying to get free stadiums.

Bench... you wanted Wallstedt. I don't forget. There was one of us stumping for Cossa. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

Wish the salaries of owners and executives were talked about more. "Player X gets paid $35M a year to play a game." ...Ain't that whole franchise worth several billion? Who's getting what piece of the whole pie there? Enh, whatever.

Reactions: Bench

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wish the salaries of owners and executives were talked about more. "Player X gets paid $35M a year to play a game." ...Ain't that whole franchise worth several billion? Who's getting what piece of the whole pie there? Enh, whatever.
It doesn't get covered on the main forums, but there's a Business of Hockey section that should include revenue sharing, collective bargaining agreement details, and stuff like that.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Charlie Coyle's contract could look even worse. One 56pt. outlier season 5 yrs ago ('16-'17) & the B's have him for $5.25m *5 (through age 34+)...ends in 2026

They'd better pray the "good deal" on Hall works in their favor with a return to near elite/elite production, otherwise they're an aging L1 team + a 2L that = a great 3L. (Coyle & Smith aren't exactly known for offense).

Lots of question marks on this team, both for regular season & Cup contention (I believe with Krejci parting, Rask probably done/retired/elsewhere/cap casualty, their window is shut).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad