OT: Around the NHL: Ploffs - This is Outhouse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

3ustp7.jpg

Reactions: BusinessGoose

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Chicago supposedly extending Mrazek after extending a few other meh guys. Just staying mediocre.

I mean I know what Chicago is doing, but it really makes you wonder why teams don’t try the Pens approach when it comes to being gifted a potential generational talent.

The Pens immediately went into win now mode signing a ton of top UFAs. The first year obviously blew up in their face, but Sidney Crosby has never entered an NHL season with the mindset of not trying to win. I think that is pretty unique.

Why not try to make hay when you have an already superstar player like Sid, McDavid, Bedard on their ELC? Instead other teams, like Chicago is currently doing, just stay the rebuild course and essentially waste those cheap years. Then they want to win when their star player is eating up like 20% of their cap.

By the time Crosby’s 2nd contract kicked in, he and the Pens had already been to the Cup Finals.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Only if/when names are officially released, can we take about specific players. Speculation is not allowed guys. The head honchos dont appreciate being sued, which has happened. Not my rules, I just enforce them.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Apparently there have been others. None successful, but still causes headaches for the admins.

Thanks. I had a good laugh at this part:

"In a statement released on Friday, Burke's lawyer Peter Gall said the comments, allegedly made under pseudonyms such as "Slobberface" and "Mowerman,"...."

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Only if/when names are officially released, can we take about specific players. Speculation is not allowed guys. The head honchos dont appreciate being sued, which has happened. Not my rules, I just enforce them.

That seems like an insanely stupid rule, tbh.

On the same day that 5 players were told to turn themselves in, 3 players from that team were granted a leave of absence. It’s not hard to connect the dots.

No one is going to sue HFBoards for their members saying these two are incredibly likely related.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Chicago supposedly extending Mrazek after extending a few other meh guys. Just staying mediocre.

I mean I know what Chicago is doing, but it really makes you wonder why teams don’t try the Pens approach when it comes to being gifted a potential generational talent.

The Pens immediately went into win now mode signing a ton of top UFAs. The first year obviously blew up in their face, but Sidney Crosby has never entered an NHL season with the mindset of not trying to win. I think that is pretty unique.

Why not try to make hay when you have an already superstar player like Sid, McDavid, Bedard on their ELC? Instead other teams, like Chicago is currently doing, just stay the rebuild course and essentially waste those cheap years. Then they want to win when their star player is eating up like 20% of their cap.

By the time Crosby’s 2nd contract kicked in, he and the Pens had already been to the Cup Finals.
Tbf, they picked up Sid and already had two top 2 overall picks in MAF, Malkin. Plus a decent number of serviceable prospects and young guys to install (Armstrong, Orpik, Talbot, Whitney, etc). Then lucked out with Letang being as good as he is but idk if that really counts. Anyway my point is Chicago didn’t have major building blocks like a Malkin and a MAF already when they got Bedarded.

They really only had Korchinski and Nazar as the “big” building blocks in place. Not exactly a Malkin. So while I agree it would make sense to gun for it while you have a superstar on a ELC, I kinda get it.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Tbf, they picked up Sid and already had two top 2 overall picks in MAF, Malkin. Plus a decent number of serviceable prospects and young guys to install (Armstrong, Orpik, Talbot, Whitney, etc). Then lucked out with Letang being as good as he is but idk if that really counts. Anyway my point is Chicago didn’t have major building blocks like a Malkin and a MAF already when they got Bedarded.

They really only had Korchinski and Nazar as the “big” building blocks in place. Not exactly a Malkin. So while I agree it would make sense to gun for it while you have a superstar on a ELC, I kinda get it.
Going into 05/06, it was not known when or even if Malkin was coming over. He wasn’t a factor.

The roster in 03/04 was barren of talent. Mario was decrepit and MAF was too young to be counted on to be a big factor.

The biggest difference was coming out of a lockout with a new cap in place, but the Pens went big spending. Hawks could have done the same. You can’t tell me our young players being around guys like Recchi, Gonch, Leclair, etc didn’t help their development into winners.

If you start your career with the mindset of being a winner instead of years of rebuilding (believe me, these guys know the team situation no matter what they say) I think it makes a big difference.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Going into 05/06, it was not known when or even if Malkin was coming over. He wasn’t a factor.

The roster in 03/04 was barren of talent. Mario was decrepit and MAF was too young to be counted on to be a big factor.

The biggest difference was coming out of a lockout with a new cap in place, but the Pens went big spending. Hawks could have done the same. You can’t tell me our young players being around guys like Recchi, Gonch, Leclair, etc didn’t help their development into winners.

If you start your career with the mindset of being a winner instead of years of rebuilding (believe me, these guys know the team situation no matter what they say) I think it makes a big difference.
Don’t agree at all. Think Davidson is doing the right thing. Different league now, UFA crop is nowhere near the same and the team had too many holes to be dealing 1sts (that would end up lotto picks) for established players.

Look at CBJ, who’s tried that “we need to be competitive” model a bunch of times now and has gotten absolutely nowhere.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Don’t agree at all. Think Davidson is doing the right thing. Different league now, UFA crop is nowhere near the same and the team had too many holes to be dealing 1sts (that would end up lotto picks) for established players.

Look at CBJ, who’s tried that “we need to be competitive” model a bunch of times now and has gotten absolutely nowhere.
Columbus has never had any really talented young players. I’m not saying it works for every rebuild. I think if you have a legitimate superstar on an ELC, you need to take advantage of it.

I just think organizations get caught in a losing culture after tanking and can’t shake it off.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Columbus has never had any really talented young players. I’m not saying it works for every rebuild. I think if you have a legitimate superstar on an ELC, you need to take advantage of it.

I just think organizations get caught in a losing culture after tanking and can’t shake it off.
I just don’t see what UFAs they should’ve pursued. Completely different landscape. I mean they got Perry, who has a Hart, and look how that went.

On Columbus, Fantilli had the best draft year in the NCAA since Eichel. Brought in 2 defenders this summer and Gaudreau last year.

Just saying it’s not apples to apples team or league-wise with the rookie Crosby comparison.

Reactions: Darren McCord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad