Around The NHL Part XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
So December 1st is Tuesday. The league is running out of time to start by January 1st. Players will need at least 7-10 days to get from wherever they are to their season homes, go through Covid protocol, and informal skating before a 14-16 day camp starts.

If the season starts February 1st and they need to conclude everything by July 15th, it will give them about 100 days (Feb 1st to let's say May 10th-11thish) to get 48 games in. That gives them from May 15th-July 15th for playoffs unless they go expanded format and have a 40 game season. A lot of back to backs and not much rest. 4 games a week every week.

The person who may benefit the most out of this is ironically; David Quinn. A compressed season doesn't mean he gets canned if the Rangers don't improve unless they pull a 2019-20 Detroit.

Older players like Lundqvist who have not played much in the last year and take a lot of time to warm up it might hurt the most. Washington might have to use Samsonov a lot more than they want to.

Roster decisions are going to be strange with not a lot of time for evaluation. Players like Morgan Barron, if they're somewhat ready might get a shot before gaining valuable AHL experience, or it might be the opposite and coaches go conservative and stick with veterans because there isn't time to deal with warts.

The longer this goes, the more a player like Reunanen who is logging 25-28 minutes a night is going to have an edge.

Reactions: egelband

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Despite being large enough to cover five time zones, The People’s Republic of the China has a single time zone: Beijing time. So even the far west portion of the country is on Beijing Time. So I guess it gets dark in December at noon over there or something.
And sunrise at 2 am? Great living

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic wrote the NHL will likely have the old Patrick Division playoff format. First place team plays fourth place. Second place plays third place. He spoke to some NHL people and they believe this format will be used for 2021. Cuts down on travel and teams will play exclusively in their division. Makes sense.

Boston will make the playoffs. Carolina is a very good team. Philadelphia is a very good team. Washington is similar to Boston. Their players are getting older. The Caps should be good enough to make the playoffs. The Islanders might be better than the Rangers. The sum of their parts is better than the actual parts. The Islanders couldn't keep up with the Rangers in some of those games.

The Rangers will need their young guys to take a big step. We know what the veterans can do. The Rangers need Filip Chytil to take the next step. Kaapo Kakko was better in the Carolina series. Alexis Lafrenière. A full year of Igor Shesterkin.

Getting another top ten pick won't be so bad. More cap space next summer. More time to evaluate their players.

1C or 1D

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think the point here is that, whatever the tax advantages a place like Tampa has that appeal to some players, a place like NYC has different advantages that appeal just as many other players.

In other words, the lower taxes there don’t actually work out to a competitive advantage. Since it’s not a competitive advantage, it’s not something that the CBA needs to address.

Im not saying anything should be changed but I can see it being moreso an advantage to retaining RFA’S. You can take the bridge and maybe you’ll get 9 million as a UFA. Or... we can lock you up long term at 7. It’ll work out to roughly the same number and you’re removing the risk of injury or a bad year. Again, not advocating for a change but I can foresee this scenario.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn

Just saw this clip on Instagram and had no idea Sam and Joe worked together before they were a pair on MSG. Maybe not news for some but I thought it was pretty interesting.

This was 23 years ago and they literally sound EXACTLY the same. If you changed the names to Lindgren and Svechnikov, it could've been a soundbyte from last season.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Aatu Raty come on down

Aatu Räty is an interesting prospect. I see him dropping on several rankings in favor of some late risers. Time will tell how his season will end and how he stacks up against the rest.

I wouldn't mind Owen Power instead. Sure, we have some nice LHD prospects, but Owen Power would be our clear cut no 1 LHD

Reactions: mas0764 and Leetch3

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
48977C9A-408E-4A70-AFCA-05D97E5F3EBE.png

Anyone tell Marc Staal he was traded to Detroit and not Dallas? I know the Ds are confusing.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Aren't those the uniforms the evil hockey team wears in Strange Brew? Is that a quote Edge? Like the sweater, do not like the full kit. Green pants would go a long way.

Reactions: egelband

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
You answered it yourself. They can’t afford to cancel yet another season. They will have one.

48 game season sucks tho. If you start out slow your season is basically over.

This is true. Would be far less than ideal.

Also, I’ll feel bad for Ovie if he ends up like 40 goals short of the record. He certainly missed enough hockey to lockouts that it’s already a genuine consideration. People say things like same about Jagr and the lockouts he played through and the the time he spent overseas, but Jagr has only 60 more goals in 600 more career games. Realistically, Ovie is the only one with a true chance and so many lockouts and shortened seasons is robbing us of his greatness. Ovie already has the best goals per game of anyone in the top 10/over 700 in the history of hockey.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If they can run a regular season from Feb 1st - June 1st, think they can get in around 60 games. That’s like around 15 games a month. Not crazy overkill. Olympics start July 23rd. They need to hand out the cup before that date. Games may need to be condensed if they need to finish off the regular season by mid-may and start the playoffs.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If they can run a regular season from Feb 1st - June 1st, think they can get in around 60 games. That’s like around 15 games a month. Not crazy overkill. Olympics start July 23rd. They need to hand out the cup before that date. Games may need to be condensed if they need to finish off the regular season by mid-may and start the playoffs.

that's a game every other day which is a pretty crazy schedule and also leaves little cushion if games get postponed caues a team has positive tests. if they have extended playoffs to account for the risk of not all teams playing 60 games, then you'd need even more time to get the playoffs done by July 15th (thats the date I read is the latest they want to go)...it is doable but its tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad