Around The NHL Part XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Salary cap has completely killed the NHL. Quality players are being given away for free left and right because there's just no money to go around. The "best league in the world" is going to have a TON of guys in Europe this season since they'd have to play for pennies in the NHL.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Salary cap has completely killed the NHL. Quality players are being given away for free left and right because there's just no money to go around. The "best league in the world" is going to have a TON of guys in Europe this season since they'd have to play for pennies in the NHL.

i’ll say it one last time

nobody is more lucky than Kreider. Had he been traded the odds on an immediate extension with Covid hitting may have been slim.

Reactions: Cmox

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
i’ll say it one last time

nobody is more lucky than Kreider. Had he been traded the odds on an immediate extension with Covid hitting may have been slim.
I’m pretty sure the rangers are probably one of 5 teams that can fulfill his contract too. I really do feel for the smaller market teams. All of this is horrible.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I was thinking along these lines the other day in regards to players getting squeezed out by the flat cap and looking to Europe for better deals and/or living conditions. I'm sure agents must have told mid and lower tier players to take the best deals they can get in the NHL as early in free agency as possible because the cap room is going to disappear fast and then you might be left without a team. Even teams with cap room likely have an ever lower team budget than they usually do because of the pandemic.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

they definitely should have planned better for covid lol

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Heard on NHL radio that multiple teams may have to go with shortened rosters to get under the cap.

Reactions: egelband

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
How many impact players are still unsigned? I don't think Sami Vatanen signing in the SEL represents a shift in power between the leagues.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
they definitely should have planned better for covid lol

The squeeze on mid-tier players and veterans has been going on for years, long before Covid. Covid has only magnified this issue, especially with the flat cap and internal budgets of teams that now can not/will not spend to the cap.

Reactions: egelband

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The squeeze on mid-tier players and veterans has been going on for years, long before Covid. Covid has only magnified this issue, especially with the flat cap and internal budgets of teams that now can not/will not spend to the cap.

True yet i think with a flat cap it changed a lot. 3 years of a flat with most of the league due for a raise. That is whole different game IMO.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I was thinking it would be crazy if Buffalo could sign Hoffman and sudden their 1st line is Hall-Eichel-Hoffman. and then if they could get MAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad