Around The NHL Part XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think the point here is that, whatever the tax advantages a place like Tampa has that appeal to some players, a place like NYC has different advantages that appeal just as many other players.

In other words, the lower taxes there don’t actually work out to a competitive advantage. Since it’s not a competitive advantage, it’s not something that the CBA needs to address.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Don’t really feel that Sergachev took that much of a sweetheart deal. It’s basically the same bridge Werenski and McAvoy got and they’re good comparables. He looks like he’s going to be a great defender but he isn’t there yet. He gets paid nicely for the next three years but not a huge pay day based off of yet-unrealized potential. An RFA bridge deal is always going to be sweeter than what they’d have gotten if they were a UFA with several teams competing to own that upward potential long term. That’s the point of RFA status.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
tampa also has advantages in that its got beautiful warm weather for the whole hockey season and have been competitive and they actually have a lively fanbase/arena unlike the panthers. nice going to work when its in the 70s and 80s outside than when its in the 20s and 30s like most of the big hockey markets.

Reactions: romba and bl02

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
tampa also has advantages in that its got beautiful warm weather for the whole hockey season and have been competitive and they actually have a lively fanbase/arena unlike the panthers. nice going to work when its in the 70s and 80s outside than when its in the 20s and 30s like most of the big hockey markets.
Some people hate the warm weather. And rather play in the limelight. Not Florida.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
The REALLY weird thing about all of this is that virtually (I don’t want to say literally... who knows?) every player in the NHL is an actual living, breathing human being and they each weigh every decision individually and not on a blanket basis.

It IS shocking, but they don’t just unanimously say Tampa good. Tampa sunny. Tampa no tax me. Or NY big. NY history. NY spotlight. NY sponsor opportunities. Me choose NY.

I was astonished as well, but it’s a lot more like “well, the weather is great in Tampa and it’s not a bad place to settle down but it doesn’t have the cultural opportunities a place like NY does. Playing in a city like NY for an O6 franchise is really something special and I am from Toronto so NY is a lot closer to home... but Florida has its perks as well and the money goes a bit further down there due to income tax laws. Jeez, this is a tough decision, I’ll probably base it on my own personal preferences and priorities, such as whether or not I have kids, what kind of lifestyle I desire, how close the two offers are, etc.”

Like I said... I was truly blown away when I found all that out.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Despite being large enough to cover five time zones, The People’s Republic of the China has a single time zone: Beijing time. So even the far west portion of the country is on Beijing Time. So I guess it gets dark in December at noon over there or something.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Despite being large enough to cover five time zones, The People’s Republic of the China has a single time zone: Beijing time. So even the far west portion of the country is on Beijing Time. So I guess it gets dark in December at noon over there or something.
And conversely in Russia you have almost a dozen time zones and it can be noon in one part of the country and 10 p.m. in another. :laugh:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So Tampa have 19 players signed and are $2 mil over the cap ceiling and Cirelli and Cernak need to be signed. They still have to move a significant contract or two or someone's going on the LTIR (Stamkos?) to make everything work. Do you pay Tyler Johnson to break his leg? or Alex Killorn?

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So Tampa have 19 players signed and are $2 mil over the cap ceiling and Cirelli and Cernak need to be signed. They still have to move a significant contract or two or someone's going on the LTIR (Stamkos?) to make everything work. Do you pay Tyler Johnson to break his leg? or Alex Killorn?

Eventually they’ll sell low on Killorn or Johnson. There’s chatter of Stamkos moving as well, and despite injury history, he’d be moved cheaper than anyone of his caliber normally is moved for, due to injuries and the cap situation, but there would be takers for sure if he were available for a “bargain”. I’ve also heard minor rumblings, likely completely nonsense, that Stamkos would consider hanging it up depending how his injuries have healed when the season is getting close.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
And conversely in Russia you have almost a dozen time zones and it can be noon in one part of the country and 10 p.m. in another. :laugh:

I love these things haha

Here's one. There's an island in the Caribean called "Saint Martin" which is divided into a Dutch and a French part. The Dutch part is called Sint Maarten, the French part St Martin. So despite being separated by Belgium, on the other side of the Atlantic France and the Netherlands share a border on an Island that technically has 3 names.

Oh, and the longest domestic flight this year was from Paris to Papeete, French Polynesia. A 16-hour flight covering close to 10,000 miles

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Eventually they’ll sell low on Killorn or Johnson. There’s chatter of Stamkos moving as well, and despite injury history, he’d be moved cheaper than anyone of his caliber normally is moved for, due to injuries and the cap situation, but there would be takers for sure if he were available for a “bargain”. I’ve also heard minor rumblings, likely completely nonsense, that Stamkos would consider hanging it up depending how his injuries have healed when the season is getting close.

Not sure what you mean by selling low on Killorn and Johnson. IMO if Tampa finds a trade partner they will have to pay that team to take them. Neither IMO are worth the contracts they're carrying. Johnson at 30 with 4 more years at $5 mil per and is not nearly the player he was 3 years ago. Killorn is 31 with 3 more years at $4.45 mil per. How many teams are there left that have enough cap space to take on either? Not very many. 6 or 7 at best and 4 of them are non-playoff--non-playin teams. Tampa's already tried moving Johnson and there were no takers. Johnson currently has a full NTC and is reluctant. How would you like to go from Stanley Cup winner to the Red Wings or Kings with a fully protected no trade contract? Killorn has a limited NTC--he can make a 16 team no trade list.

Last edited:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

With that said, a lot of hockey players come from colder climates. Some guys like big cities, some like small towns. Some guys like to live in obscurity and others may want to be in a big market for endorsement opportunities. Sure, Tampa has advantages, but so do the Panthers and they can’t figure it out. The Rangers are one of the few teams to have an active advantage to certain guys thanks to being in Manhattan so I’m not going to complain. We could be a team like the Islanders who always have issues trying to land a big free agent or a host of other teams that have similar issues. We signed Panarin and Fox/Hayes pushed to come here so I’m not about to complain about locale being a negative attribute.

Reactions: eco's bones

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just got an email from NHL center ice, about my subscription renewing soon for 2021. Do they know something we don’t know?

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Just got an email from NHL center ice, about my subscription renewing soon for 2021. Do they know something we don’t know?
Did they give a refund for last season finishing short of the full schedule ? I have the Canadian CI package but I honestly never looked at my invoices to see if I was charged the last payment .

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Did they give a refund for last season finishing short of the full schedule ? I have the Canadian CI package but I honestly never looked at my invoices to see if I was charged the last payment .

They did. Also, since there will most likely be less games, they will either need to refund or charge less. I wonder how they will handle that situation.

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad