Around The NHL Part XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
Didn’t Boychuk play in the playoffs? Seems convenient that they need cap space and a guy decides to hang them up. Same thing with the Hawks and Hossa.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
No team in the league was going to take salary off the Islanders hands so they’re going to have their boat anchors go on LTIR

I’m sure Ladd will be next

it’s a shame some team didn’t offer sheet Barzal to give a finger to Lou

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Sergachev took a sweetheart bridge deal to give Tampa a break. 3 years, $4.8 million AAV.

Something needs to be done about this in the next CBA. Teams in states with no income tax are at a distinct advantage in retaining and signing their free agents and with cap management in general. Maybe allow a bonus tax cushion of sorts to the other states?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
No team in the league was going to take salary off the Islanders hands so they’re going to have their boat anchors go on LTIR

I’m sure Ladd will be next

it’s a shame some team didn’t offer sheet Barzal to give a finger to Lou

I think the reason why nobody offer sheeted Barzal was because the Islanders were allowed to go over the cap if I am correct. I could certainly be wrong though.

The more interesting conversation to have is how the Islanders were trying to trade away Boychuk earlier on in the offseason, meanwhile there was a chance that a team could have gotten assets for getting Boychuk's cap hit and not having it count towards the cap.

LTIR in general seems as if it used as a cap savior rather than its main purpose, but I think teams are going to use it like that as long as it exists. Part of me says if a team is giving out long term contracts to older players this is what they deserve (for it to count against the cap).

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Similar deal to DeAngelo. Gets to qualify at over 7 mil at 24 years old? That’s a solid deal for him

boychuk convenient for the islanders for sure but the guy was in tears today and is giving up a lot of money. Doubt this was anything shady.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Big ass $7.2 million QO at age 25 though.

They changed that in the MOU though. The QO is no longer based on simply the base salary in the final year. It cannot exceed 120% of the AAV

Page 26 of the MOU:
upload_2020-11-25_23-33-19.png

I guess we call this the McAvoy rule now. Sergachev's QO will be 5.76m

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Sergachev took a sweetheart bridge deal to give Tampa a break. 3 years, $4.8 million AAV.

Something needs to be done about this in the next CBA. Teams in states with no income tax are at a distinct advantage in retaining and signing their free agents and with cap management in general. Maybe allow a bonus tax cushion of sorts to the other states?
You can make the same argument for places like LA and NYC. The amount of endorsements Players get are insane. I think at one point OBJ was making more off of endorsements than his own contract lmao.

Reactions: Thirty One

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
You can make the same argument for places like LA and NYC. The amount of endorsements Players get are insane. I think at one point OBJ was making more off of endorsements than his own contract lmao.
This is true, but the ability to get more money in endorsements does not offer the team a competitive advantage pertaining to the salary cap.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
This is true, but the ability to get more money in endorsements does not offer the team a competitive advantage pertaining to the salary cap.

Yes it does (attracting a free agent is just as much of an advantage as the salary). Every time I see an original 6 team fans complain about income tax advantages of certain locales, I cringe. The Rangers have SO many advantages that a team like Buffalo can only dream of, we just need to chill on the issue.

Also, the payroll tax rate isn't as simple as it is portrayed. There are many mechanisms of tax mitigation that can lessen the disparities between playing locations.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

If a player signs for less cause he can make it up in endorsements that is the same as taking less in taxes...

the difference in taxes isn’t as drastic as some make it out to be. Sergachev got that deal cause it’s what he is worth on a bridge deal. It isn’t a discount. He was never worth the 7-8 mil per offer sheets being tossed around cause you’d have to overpay for them to not match

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Yes it does (attracting a free agent is just as much of an advantage as the salary). Every time I see an original 6 team fans complain about income tax advantages of certain locales, I cringe. The Rangers have SO many advantages that a team like Buffalo can only dream of, we just need to chill on the issue.

Also, the payroll tax rate isn't as simple as it is portrayed. There are many mechanisms of tax mitigation that can lessen the disparities between playing locations.
Know why those bonus clauses are so important? Because if you are domiciled in a place like Florida (e.g. Panarin) you collect your bonus every July 1 in state tax free Florida.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Let me put it this way: people don’t come to NYC for tax advantages.

And big city perks are not in the “plus” column for everyone. There are those who don’t care and yet others who would prefer to avoid them altogether if possible.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Let me put it this way: people don’t come to NYC for tax advantages.

And big city perks are not in the “plus” column for everyone. There are those who don’t care and yet others who would prefer to avoid them altogether if possible.

A city like New York is a destination for some, but definitely not for every player. I think we as a fanbase often get carried away a bit with how many players really want to move to/play in NY.

Also, the tax situation is a lot more complicated than simply calculating the state income tax for the entire salary.

- Signing bonuses are taxed different (based on residence)
- Base salary is taxed on a game-by-game basis based on where the game is played
- Retirement plans offer an interesting option as a tax break in some NHL cities

Hajek's agent (Allan Walsh) mentioned this a few months ago. I will try to find the article in question that went into detail on especially that last part.

Bottom line: There's some difference in take-home pay, but it's not as black and white as we think it is

Reactions: egelband

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
A city like New York is a destination for some, but definitely not for every player. I think we as a fanbase often get carried away a bit with how many players really want to move to/play in NY.

Also, the tax situation is a lot more complicated than simply calculating the state income tax for the entire salary.

- Signing bonuses are taxed different (based on residence)
- Base salary is taxed on a game-by-game basis based on where the game is played
- Retirement plans offer an interesting option as a tax break in some NHL cities

Hajek's agent (Allan Walsh) mentioned this a few months ago. I will try to find the article in question that went into detail on especially that last part.

Bottom line: There's some difference in take-home pay, but it's not as black and white as we think it is

New York doesn't have the same zest it did before the WFH/telecommuter era. It's very expensive to live here and has crappy weather half the year. A lot of the things that you could get access to it's easier to get online.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
New York doesn't have the same zest it did before the WFH/telecommuter era. It's very expensive to live here and has crappy weather half the year. A lot of the things that you could get access to it's easier to get online.

That, but there's also the fact that living in a big city isn't for everyone. I grew up in a big city. I would go crazy if I didn't hear cars driving by at night. It's too quiet otherwise. But I know a lot of people who feel uncomfortable living in such a busy area. I've been to Tampa, Nashville, Vancouver, Calgary and some other NHL cities which, despite being big cities, not being remotely close to how busy NYC is. Zibanejad lives 2 blocks from MSG and loves it. But I am 100% sure that there are quite a few players who wouldn't feel comfortable in that setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad