Around The NHL Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I also think the nature of sports fans has changed.

I think it's more rare for people to feel that deeper, cultural connection with teams where it becomes part of their identity. I remember we saw this when I worked for the league.

Older generations had "their team" and it was like being a part of a tribe. We started to see a shift in younger fans where they expressed their fandom differently. It wasn't that they were less interested, it was that they weren't quite as defined by their if that makes sense. It was interesting to see how survey responses changed as newer generations came on board.

The closest thing I can compare it to is how ethnic and cultural aspects tend to fade as younger generations are exposed to more options, and cultures, and identify as more than "Italian" or "Chinese" or "Irish".

It's still a part of their identity, but it's not as...much of the foot they lead with, if that makes sense.
I was going to say similar. Times have changed. People are way more jaded. Sports isn’t taken as... religiously as it was.

Reactions: Edge

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I was going to say similar. Times have changed. People are way more jaded. Sports isn’t taken as... religiously as it was.

Free Agency and commercialization killed it.

They made sports, especially football IMO, into a video game. Different uniforms yet everybody plays the same and nobody can play consistent defense.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Free Agency and commercialization killed it.

They made sports, especially football IMO, into a video game. Different uniforms yet everybody plays the same and nobody can play consistent defense.

You can add politics & current events to that list. Most of us want to watch sports as an escape from current events & real life.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Don't care who comes out of the west, just win Tampa!

I won't even mind if Dallas wins the whole thing, even though that would make them by far the worst team to ever win the cup. I have nothing against Dallas.

The problem is and @Ola is onto something which I also believe, I'm worried that whoever comes out of the West will not be able to beat whoever comes out of the East. So yes Tampa needs to finish the job. You have to believe the Islanders will win tonight especially if Point doesn't play.

One caveat and that is Vaselevsky. He has been superb thus far and he is more than capable of stealing a game by himself. Tonight could be one of those nights as you just know the Islanders are coming out storming.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Dude the Islanders are toast.

From your mouth to the hockey gods ears. I think Islanders are winning tonight unless Vasilevsky stands on his head which is he is more than capable of seeing he is the best goalie in the league. We'll see....I hope believe me I hope you are right.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I grew up in Bayside & started playing roller hockey around '82. At that time kids wearing Ranger jerseys were outnumber around 4-1. The abuse we took after the playoff losses in '82, '83 & '84 was vicious.

'84 was particularly brutal after the Rangers rolled in Game 3 for a 2-1 lead in the series with Game 4 at MSG. Watching them lay an egg at home & then that OT loss in Game 5 was crushing for a 12 year old. Showing up to school the next day was not fun.

When the Oilers finally spanked them in '84, I celebrated like the Rangers won. Thankfully that was the last time that the Isles were relevant or serious contenders.
Grew up in Douglaston. We were neighbors. Im a bit younger I started watching in 86 @ 6 But yeah the rangers /isles rivalry was intense. My uncle would tell me stories of the fights between fans. Even in the 90s it was still bad (the devils rivalry was bad too). When I played I would always get in fights with the islanders fans for some reason they were the l most bratty. When there was a bratty kid in my weekly hockey clinic it always turned out they were isles fans. I could never see myself rooting for them. Even though the rivalry seems to have cooled but I think when the rangers become contenders it’ll heat up.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Grew up in Douglaston. We were neighbors. Im a bit younger I started watching in 86 @ 6 But yeah the rangers /isles rivalry was intense. My uncle would tell me stories of the fights between fans. Even in the 90s it was still bad (the devils rivalry was bad too). When I played I would always get in fights with the islanders fans for some reason they were the l most bratty. When there was a bratty kid in my weekly hockey clinic it always turned out they were isles fans. I could never see myself rooting for them. Even though the rivalry seems to have cooled but I think when the rangers become contenders it’ll heat up.

The rivalry will heat up quickly when the teams meet in the playoffs again. They haven't played each other since '94 and it was no contest as the Rangers destroyed them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cmox

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
All signs are that there will be no Point tonight. So no Point and Kilhorn says to me that this is going to need to be a Vaselevsky game. I said it earlier but this guy is one of the top 2-3 goalies in the world and tonight he needs to show why.

I hope I'm wrong but tonight just feels like an Islander win as they are to good to get swept and tonight is their last chance to avoid that cause if they go down 3 zilch...well the guys who predicted a short series are going to be right and I'll gladly be donating to that hockey charity that was part of the bet I made with @GoAwayStaal a few days ago.

Here's to hoping I'll be donating soon....lol

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
All signs are that there will be no Point tonight. So no Point and Kilhorn says to me that this is going to need to be a Vaselevsky game. I said it earlier but this guy is one of the top 2-3 goalies in the world and tonight he needs to show why.

I hope I'm wrong but tonight just feels like an Islander win as they are to good to get swept and tonight is their last chance to avoid that cause if they go down 3 zilch...well the guys who predicted a short series are going to be right and I'll gladly be donating to that hockey charity that was part of the bet I made with @GoAwayStaal a few days ago.

Here's to hoping I'll be donating soon....lol
The thing about the Lightning Islanders series is that the Lightning have beat them in a Lightning type of game in game 1 and then they beat them in an Islander type game in game 2 while playing with 9 forwards and 7 defensemen. Even with Point and Killorn being out of this game, I don't think the Islanders have the talent to beat the Lightning in either type of game

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
The rivalry will heat up quickly when the teams meet in the playoffs again. They haven't played each other since '94 and it was no contest as the Rangers destroyed them.

Exactly and I said the same thing previously. The only possible way the rivalry can start to truly amp up is if both teams are good at the same time and both teams need to play one another in the playoffs with the both teams respective seasons on the line.

Nothing will ever approach the hatred that was going down from the early to mid 80's between the two fan bases as that would be almost impossible to duplicate. That said, it won't be to long before we are going to be really really good and the Islanders are likely going to one of the teams in the East standing in our way of reaching the pinnacle which for us would be finally winning a Stanley Cup and even better heaven forbid multiple Cups...lol

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
The thing about the Lightning Islanders series is that the Lightning have beat them in a Lightning type of game in game 1 and then they beat them in an Islander type game in game 2 while playing with 9 forwards and 7 defensemen. Even with Point and Killorn being out of this game, I don't think the Islanders have the talent to beat the Lightning in either type of game

Agreed on both accounts...Tampa did win in both very different styles. That said, Islanders easily could have won last game let's be honest. I'd be shocked if the Islanders don't get their shit together(ie...fixing their horrid PP) for the most part at least for one game and desperate teams often times do what is necessary to get the job done. And tonight is their last chance to do so.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Agreed on both accounts...Tampa did win in both very different styles. That said, Islanders easily could have won last game let's be honest. I'd be shocked if the Islanders don't get their shit together(ie...fixing their horrid PP) for the most part at least for one game and desperate teams often times do what is necessary to get the job done. And tonight is their last chance to do so.
Their powerplay is about as good as it was during the regular season (16% now to 17% then), if anything I just expect them to send out Martin to run around and try to hurt people right off the bat

Reactions: jas

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Their powerplay is about as good as it was during the regular season (16% now to 17% then), if anything I just expect them to send out Martin to run around and try to hurt people right off the bat

Martin apparently is one of the Islanders top snipers these days. He might want to stay on the ice instead of gooning it up...just sayin....lol

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Pure cap dump for pittsburgh and reclaimation gamble by minnesota.

Not sure what the wild cap status is but that's a lot of salary for bjugstad.

Kid has tools and talent tho.

Reactions: Tob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad