Around The NHL Part XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Game 3 . . . and apparently the NFL starts tonight.

Can’t recall a time when i’m so disconnected from football.

I'm with ya. Only last week it was reminded to me that football was starting this week. It was only two nights ago that I crammed for my big $$ fantasy draft which was held last night. In a normal year, even as a Jet fan I'm chomping at the bit for the season to begin and I've prepared for my fantasy draft weeks ago.

This is a totally different animal this year. Hopefully the NFL can go as smoothly as the NHL bubbles did. I have my doubts to be honest....we'll see!

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
What has he done to get the love?

He had a very successful team and never did anything with it except f*** it up to the point where he had to tear it down and forced himself into a rebuild.

He's put some decent pieces together by nothing other than pure luck in the draft lottery.

You need to accomplish a whole lot of sucking to pull that one off and I won't even get into coaching and rushing players into roles they aren't ready for lol.

This guy's got a whole lot to prove in my eyes..
LOL then who would you consider a great GM?

He took over the team that Sather and AV couldn't get over the hump. I don't understand how he F'ed it up. He didn't sign Staal and Girardi and Dan Boyle and let Stralman go and F up Yandle's usage. He didn't trade all of our first round picks away, in fact he netted us many extra ones. His one bad trade may be Eric Staal but on paper it seemed like a good trade at the time. But even that trade Saarela has played 9 games in the NHL and the 2nd rounders never amounted to anything. You can say McD and Miller was a loss but Lundkvist has potential to be the best player in that trade. We also avoided a contract that will look awful when we are making Cup runs. Miller was never going to do anything here so IDC what people say about trading him away.

2016 Prospect Rankings
1. Skjei
2. Buch
3. Graves
4. Gropp
5. Igor
6. Day

1. Lias
2. Chytil
3. Igor
4. Tony
5. Day

Kakko, Laf (IDC if we won two lotteries we can eliminate them if you want)
1. VK
2. Nils
3. Miller
4. Jones
5. Barron
6. Robertson
7. Hajek if he counts
plus we have another 1st rounder coming in
Plus we have Chytil, Tony, Lindgren, Fox, Gauthier playing in the NHL...all guys Gorton traded for/drafted.
Brassard for Zib
Signed Georgiev
Signed Panarin
Traded Spooner for Strome

The position of this team is night and day from when he took over. Aside from maybe Hayes and then Miller who again would not have the same success here, what guys that he's traded away are playing better?
Stepan, Raanta, Zucc, Nash, those are all awesome trades. I honestly can't believe I had to go through all of this!

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

He took over the team that Sather and AV couldn't get over the hump. I don't understand how he F'ed it up. He didn't sign Staal and Girardi and Dan Boyle and let Stralman go and F up Yandle's usage. He didn't trade all of our first round picks away, in fact he netted us many extra ones. His one bad trade may be Eric Staal but on paper it seemed like a good trade at the time. But even that trade Saarela has played 9 games in the NHL and the 2nd rounders never amounted to anything. You can say McD and Miller was a loss but Lundkvist has potential to be the best player in that trade. We also avoided a contract that will look awful when we are making Cup runs. Miller was never going to do anything here so IDC what people say about trading him away.

2016 Prospect Rankings
1. Skjei
2. Buch
3. Graves
4. Gropp
5. Igor
6. Day

1. Lias
2. Chytil
3. Igor
4. Tony
5. Day

1. VK
2. Nils
3. Miller
4. Jones
5. Barron
6. Robertson
7. Hajek if he counts
Plus we have Chytil, Tony, Lindgren, Fox, Gauthier playing in the NHL...all guys Gorton traded for/drafted.
Brassard for Zib
Signed Georgiev
Signed Panarin

The position of this team is night and day from when he took over. Aside from maybe Hayes and then Miller who again would not have the same success here, what guys that he's traded away are playing better?
Stepan, Raanta, Zucc, Nash, those are all awesome trades. I honestly can't believe I had to go through all of this!

How many times can we go over this? Lol
No..He didn't sign Staal or Girardi.

He did a billion times worse in signing Smith and Shattenkirk :laugh:

I'm not going into the rest of it.
If you don't get it, you don't get it lol

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

2016 Prospect Rankings
1. Skjei
2. Buch
3. Graves
4. Gropp
5. Igor
6. Day

1. Lias
2. Chytil
3. Igor
4. Tony
5. Day

1. VK
2. Nils
3. Miller
4. Jones
5. Barron
6. Robertson
7. Hajek if he counts
Brassard for Zib
Signed Georgiev
Signed Panarin

Save yourself the effort.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
A lot of people on this board are younger and have no clue what it was like around these parts when the Piles were winning cups in the early 80's. It was brutal and I totally feel your pain. They just see the Isles as an afterthought after nearly 3 decades of failure. I guess you had to be there to experience it. Isles fans are even arrogant now in their 1st trip to a conference finals in 27 years yet they were very quick to point out the Rangers never won the cup and it was no big deal even though they went to 3 conference finals in 4 years. The Isles fan base is one of the most arrogant and delusional I have ever seen so again I feel your pain. The Isles are my number one hated sports franchise AINEC. I would rather stick a fork in my eye and bleed to death than watch them win another cup in my lifetime.

I also think the nature of sports fans has changed.

I think it's more rare for people to feel that deeper, cultural connection with teams where it becomes part of their identity. I remember we saw this when I worked for the league.

Older generations had "their team" and it was like being a part of a tribe. We started to see a shift in younger fans where they expressed their fandom differently. It wasn't that they were less interested, it was that they weren't quite as defined by their if that makes sense. It was interesting to see how survey responses changed as newer generations came on board.

The closest thing I can compare it to is how ethnic and cultural aspects tend to fade as younger generations are exposed to more options, and cultures, and identify as more than "Italian" or "Chinese" or "Irish".

It's still a part of their identity, but it's not as...much of the foot they lead with, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
How many times can we go over this? Lol
No..He didn't sign Staal or Girardi.

He did a billion times worse in signing Smith and Shattenkirk :laugh:

I'm not going into the rest of it.
If you don't get it, you don't get it lol

I guess I don't get it either. No GM is perfect but Gorton has done far more good than bad. He realized that the core from that team wasn't good enough to win the ultimate prize and he acted on it. This current team has more elite talent and and a much better prospect pool than we had 3 years ago. Do you think paying Stepan 6.5 mil is a good idea? What about McDonagh? Hayes? Zucc? IMO this team will be a legit cup contender in as little as 2 years. He's done a good job. Lets see how it plays out the next few years.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I guess I don't get it either. No GM is perfect but Gorton has done far more good than bad. He realized that the core from that team wasn't good enough to win the ultimate prize and he acted on it. This current team has more elite talent and and a much better prospect pool than we had 3 years ago. Do you think paying Stepan 6.5 mil is a good idea? What about McDonagh? Hayes? Zucc? IMO this team will be a legit cup contender in as little as 2 years. He's done a good job. Lets see how it plays out the next few years.

It's funny that I don't get yet nobody ever seems to ever address what's in my posts.
They just look to try and spin things their own way.

What about Hayes, Zuc and Mcd?

Hayes looks to be the best player on Philly, Zuc was the best player in Dallas during the playoffs and McD is about to win a cup.

Much like Quinn, I just don't think JG has what it takes to move this team fwd.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it until I'm proven otherwise..

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas

2016 Prospect Rankings
1. Skjei
2. Buch
3. Graves
4. Gropp
5. Igor
6. Day

1. Lias
2. Chytil
3. Igor
4. Tony
5. Day

1. VK
2. Nils
3. Miller
4. Jones
5. Barron
6. Robertson
7. Hajek if he counts
Brassard for Zib
Signed Georgiev
Signed Panarin

very good post. you've made your point very clear. unlike the other guy who just shouts at the sky.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
It's funny that I don't get yet nobody ever seems to ever address what's in my posts.

Hayes looks to be the best player on Philly, Zuc was the best player in Dallas during the playoffs and McD is about to win a cup.

Hayes is overpaid
Zucc is ass with the wild
McD is hella injury prone.

but yeah we should of kept those guys cuz... well actually there is no reason why we should of kept them.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

It's your opinion and that's fine but others have their opinions as well. I'm not saying those players aren't good players but for us to sign them to expensive long term contracts wasn't the right thing to do. That core just wasn't going to ever win the cup. The jury is still out on Quinn. We will see if the defensive structure improves. I am of the opinion that when we are really ready to compete for the cup he won't be there. I think Gorton will bring us the cup tbh.

Reactions: NYR

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
It's your opinion and that's fine but others have their opinions as well. I'm not saying those players aren't good players but for us to sign them to expensive long term contracts wasn't the right thing to do. That core just wasn't going to ever win the cup. The jury is still out on Quinn. We will see if the defensive structure improves. I am of the opinion that when we are really ready to compete for the cup he won't be there. I think Gorton will bring us the cup tbh.

That's a more than fair post which I appreciate unlike the other little shits that like to do nothing other than cause trouble.
I disagree on some things but like you said.. That's my opinion.
#respect

On that note I'm out before I end up getting booted :cool:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
NBC team seems to have a distinct Vegas lean in their commentary to me.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
A lot of people on this board are younger and have no clue what it was like around these parts when the Piles were winning cups in the early 80's. It was brutal and I totally feel your pain.

it was horrific.

83/84 was the worst with that OT loss to end the season after hitting a post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad